Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art vs. Otus?  (Read 44311 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Art vs. Otus?
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2015, 10:48:54 am »

I try not to get too crazy about all this but certainly understand the analysis is important. I wonder how much it is camera dependent as I have read the opposite reports! Probably individual lenses having "issues"
I'm crossing fingers I get a good one on first try. Not sure if I should try a couple if poor results or invest in the USB puckā€¦
This will be my first non-Nikkor lens for a Nikon ever! Never had CA issues in the film days but was mostly a B&W shooter. I use NX2 and it auto corrects flawlessly with Nikkor lenses. I doubt it does so with Sigma but we shall see what happens.
Thanks,
Aztex

I like it much better than any 50mm nikkor i owned. 1.4 clear and sharp; 5.6 stellar. AF faster than the 50mm nikkors etc.. Bokeh is good. very neutral colours.
if you buy it - do a test to see if the sharpness is even ( left/right- top /down) - if not bring it back.  Mine is very good.
I would buy the USB puck - if well tuned you shoot sharp AF @1.4. and as i showed the center has a resolution of about 100MP full frame.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=90563.0
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

dwswager

Re: Art vs. Otus?
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2015, 11:17:11 am »

The Otus lenses do not pose any issue to anyone due to cost.  The Art lenses on the other hand, because of price, have the potential to bleed sales.  Product decisions are made on the basis of profitability of that item alone or how it affects sales of other products.

I find it interesting how much play the 50mm focal length is getting.  When I first started in middle 1980s, every consumer camera came with a 50mm f/1.8 lens.  Then the focal length kinda fell out of favor for going wider.  First 35mm, then 28, 24 and 20mm for rectilinear lenses.  For a long time it was wide and 85mm and out.  The 28-70mm f/2.8 lenses kinda held the middle.  Now, all of a sudden, 50mm primes are back in vogue. 

With respect to Nikon 50mm, other than the f/1.2 AI(s) NOCT their 50mm lenses have been spectacularly average.  The new 58mm f/1.4G is very good and even the 50mm f/1.4G is pretty decent, but nothing to write home about.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up