Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA271W vs NEC PA272W  (Read 17356 times)

dwnelson

NEC PA271W vs NEC PA272W
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:00 pm »

I'm shopping around for wide color gamut monitors and have narrowed my choice to the 4-year old NEC PA271W and the new NEC PA272W.

My main concern is the image quality of the screen. Although the older model lacks HDMI and a mini Display Port, I'm okay with that. I use modern Macs and there are Display Port to mini Display port adapters.

The older model is an LCD, while the newer model is LED. I love looking at the color on my Apple LED screens; they are much better than their older LCD screens.

B&H has a new NEC PA271 for $800, I already have a Xrite ColorMunki calibrator, and I can buy the essential Spectraview II software for $90 (which is compatible with the ColorMunki). I do understand that the NEC-branded colorimeter is an Xrite specific for that screen, but the SV software, which directly controls the screen, still works with the ColorMunki.

B&H also has used NEC PA271Ws for just under $600. Potentially I could have a great, color calibrated screen for under $700 (used) or under $900 (new).

The new NEC PA272W has more modern connections, which are nice but not essential. I am most interested in the LED screen. If the color is sill accurate but has a better contrast ratio and deeper blacks, then I'm all for it! The new one is $1450 at B&H with the software and calibrator package, or $1253 without.

I think it is about 30% thinner than the older model as well, and uses less power. Nice, but not essential.

I have read Lloyd Chamber's reviews of both. His comments on the screen differences are not very specific. Unfortunately there are no stores in my area that carry either monitor.

He says of the 30-inch PA302W (model with equivalent features and image quality): "I’ve been using it for the past 4-5 days and I like the PA302W a lot already; the screen is both sharper and smoother and the color gamut is even wider than the NEC PA301W which I have used for several years."
http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130904_1-NEC-PA302W-wide-gamut-display.html

It's hard to know if this difference in image quality justifies the much higher cost of the new model!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: NEC PA271W vs NEC PA272W
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:26:20 pm »

I don't know that the LED (272W) which I have is much different than the older CCFL once calibrated in terms of black. It uses a LOT less electricity, it gets up to calibrated brightness really fast. It runs a lot cooler. I don't know if any of those are important to you. The LED is supposed to provide more precision over the white point compared to CCFL. Otherwise the calibration qualities and software is the same, the newer product said to have 1-2dE better uniformity than the last series.

Exactly which ColorMunki product do you have?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:33:21 pm »

I'd strongly recommend PA272W. It has satin diffuser that gives cleaner, punchier image, that's closer to glossy/baryta print look. It is noticeably more uniform, there's virtually no trace of colour mura. It also has slightly larger gamut. Last but not least, it has lower minimum brightness of backlight (20cd/m^2 vs 60cd/m^2 in PA271W), so you can comfortably work in a dark place.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

dwnelson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:58:59 pm »

I have the ColorMunki Display.

Looks like I'll get the new 272 model. Thanks for your input!

howardm

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »

I dont think the Colormunki Display will work. 

XRite specifically excludes it (via technical means) from being useful in applications like this.  You may have to
purchase the XRite Display Pro (99% the same but 'unlocked').

Doublecheck before you get surprised.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 01:33:56 am »

I agree the colormunki most likely not work with Spectravision, you will need the NEC puck.  You could use Xrite's software to calibrate the 27" however.    I have the xrite i1 device and publish pro and it can profile either of my NECs. In fact it constantly asks to allow me to let it.  But I still use the NEC spectraview software on my old 2690 and 3090 monitors. 

The price point that B&H has on the older 27 is still a great deal if you add in the puck and NEC software, as it should come up to around 1K or so.  The new monitor is around 1430.00 after discounts on B&H's site. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dwnelson

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:56:13 am »

I dont think the Colormunki Display will work.  

XRite specifically excludes it (via technical means) from being useful in applications like this.  You may have to
purchase the XRite Display Pro (99% the same but 'unlocked').

Doublecheck before you get surprised.

This link says that the Spectra View II software works with the ColorMunki, although it doesn't specify which model of the ColorMunki. The CM Photo doesn't look anything like my CM Display.

http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Compatibility

It doesn't say anything about the accuracy of using these devices to calibrate the PA272W.

I will contact NEC and see if I get anywhere. In the absence of an answer I'll get the package deal with the calibration device and software. Too bad it only works with that monitor...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:35:08 am by dwnelson »

dwnelson

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:06:14 am »

I agree the colormunki most likely not work with Spectravision, you will need the NEC puck.  You could use Xrite's software to calibrate the 27" however.    I have the xrite i1 device and publish pro and it can profile either of my NECs. In fact it constantly asks to allow me to let it.  But I still use the NEC spectraview software on my old 2690 and 3090 monitors. 

The price point that B&H has on the older 27 is still a great deal if you add in the puck and NEC software, as it should come up to around 1K or so.  The new monitor is around 1430.00 after discounts on B&H's site. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul I'm not familiar with those NEC monitors but I know for sure that the PA272W requires the SpectraView II software to calibrate the *device* in full gamut of the monitor rather than going through the computer's video card.

Not to say that the Xrite solution doesn't work, but it seems sub-optimal. Hence, I will probably just get the whole monitor + calibration tool and SV software package.

howardm

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:21:53 am »

they all require the Spectraview software to do the internal programming but it's a matter of what hardware device/puck you can use.

CM 'Display' most likely will not work. (The Argyll CMS open source project supports it but only because they reverse engineered a driver)

CM 'Photo' is OK (I use this setup on my PA241)

i1Display Pro & i1 are OK

NEC SV 'puck' is a locked version of the i1Display Pro.  Whether it *really* does any better than a stock unit (visible to the naked eye) is somewhat questionable.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:59 pm »

You really, really, really want to use SpectraView with the unit, not X-rite's or other's software. The ColorMunki Spectrophotometer is supported in that product, the colorimeter not. If you are only concerned with the NEC, get their branded puck, it should cost less. If you need to deal with other units, get the X-rite i1display-Pro but use SpectraView for that display unit.

jpegman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 10:37:48 pm »

A friend had an older NEC PA221 and bought a new "Premium" Toshiba Intel i7 quad core Qosimo X75 Laptop (SSD, 1Tb mechanical HD, 32Gb RAM) which he could not connect with the Toshiba -no communication. After multiple calls to NEC, Toshiba, and even B&H, it was concluded that his monitor was too old to use the standard HDMI to DVI adapter and only a USB monitor input port would solve his problem.

Solution - he had to buy a brand new NEC monitor just to get a monitor that would communicate with his new Laptop, and the newer NEC's allow connection through DVI and/or USB !

Don't discount newer connections for down the road upgrades.

Jpegman

dwnelson

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:44:52 am »

I ordered the PA272W because it is overall a better monitor in every area, and because I intend on using it for a long period of time. Woohoo!

Having said that, here is an interesting link from Xrite's web site on the ColorMunki Display vs. their i1Display Pro.

http://blog.xritephoto.com/?p=7918

The two most interesting and relevant pieces of information from that post are:

1) The hardware is exactly the same between the two. Only the software differs.

2) The i1Display Pro is compatible with Spectra View II software, while the ColorMunki Display is not. I am still scratching my head on this one, especially since NEC's web site I linked in an earlier post in this thread specifically states that the ColorMunki is compatible with the Spectra View II software. The type of ColorMunki was not specified in NEC's web site.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:52:11 am by dwnelson »

howardm

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:26 am »

the overall 'engine' may be exactly the same but the supporting software and internal device firmware in particular is different.  XRite doesn't give/sell an appropriate SDK (software development kit) for the CM Display which would allow NEC to support it.  The '5x faster' thing may also be implemented in software/firmware as a delay loop (certainly cheaper than changing the hardware during manufacture!)

When Spectraview starts up, it talks to the device and asks 'what kind or make/model are you'.  It then grabs that info and looks it up in it's list of known devices and sets up.  In the case of a CM Display, it just sort of goes 'huh?  I dont know you, cya!'  :)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:09:06 am »

I'm shopping around for wide color gamut monitors and have narrowed my choice to the 4-year old NEC PA271W and the new NEC PA272W.

My main concern is the image quality of the screen. Although the older model lacks HDMI and a mini Display Port, I'm okay with that. I use modern Macs and there are Display Port to mini Display port adapters.

The older model is an LCD, while the newer model is LED. I love looking at the color on my Apple LED screens; they are much better than their older LCD screens.

B&H has a new NEC PA271 for $800, I already have a Xrite ColorMunki calibrator, and I can buy the essential Spectraview II software for $90 (which is compatible with the ColorMunki). I do understand that the NEC-branded colorimeter is an Xrite specific for that screen, but the SV software, which directly controls the screen, still works with the ColorMunki.

Coincidentally I am also in the market for a wide gamut monitor. You may want to consider the slightly smaller NEC PA242W-BK 24" , which is wide-gamut AND LED and about the same price at B&H as the PA271.

You really, really, really want to use SpectraView with the unit, not X-rite's or other's software. The ColorMunki Spectrophotometer is supported in that product, the colorimeter not. If you are only concerned with the NEC, get their branded puck, it should cost less. If you need to deal with other units, get the X-rite i1display-Pro but use SpectraView for that display unit.

I have question about profiling for the Digital Dog - or anybody else that will answer- for the PA series of monitors. My understanding from the manuals (which can be found on the NEC website) is that each monitor in the PA series is factory profiled and that part of the job of the MultiProfiler software that comes free with the monitor is to automatically adjusts the profile based on operating conditions "thus reducing the need for a profiling package".  So why would I need SpectraView at all? Does anybody have experience with MultiProfiler?

Also if I understand correctly SpectraView will work with a number of devices. Does anybody have experience using Spyder with Spectraview?

Thanks

Robert

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:14:29 am »

You could certainly use MultiProfiler! The SpectraView software provides more control over the process which may be necessary if your goal is a screen to print match. Or a lot of targets for differing output you wish to switch to 'on the fly'. You'll end up with more control over white point settings which may be necessary. Sure, give MP a try, if it fits the bill, KISS.
I've been using SpectraView long before the PA series had MP options and well I just stick with it. So if you have no colorimeter or software yet, give the free option a try, nothing to lose.

D Fosse

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 10:43:55 am »

The way I see it, you need

a) control over the white point, and
b) a profile to describe the position of the primaries, and the exact TRC (gamma).

I think a) can be achieved in a number of equally good ways - Spectraview, Multiprofiler, even the monitor OSD if you have a way of confirming with measurement.

But for b) you need an actual measured profile, and Multiprofiler can't do that. It may have "hard-coded" values that work well in practice - they should know how their own displays behave - but I don't know how much inter-unit variation there is.

I've been struggling a bit with a P232 that I was stupid enough to buy in the non-Spectraview edition. I've ended up with Multiprofiler-set/adjusted white point, assisted by measurement, and a separate profile using ArgyllCMS/Dispcal GUI/i1 Display Pro sensor. It works well, but isn't very convenient. It's a relief getting in to work and my EizoSX with Easypix hardware calibration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up