Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Michael's "Best Camera" write-up  (Read 2099 times)

walter.sk

Question on Michael's "Best Camera" write-up
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:43:04 am »

Michael's article on the OMD-E-M1 as his pick for best camera of 2013 is concise and makes good arguments for his choice.  I bought one for my wife and have been using it to learn it well enough to teach it to her (she never gets near a user's manual).

However, there is a statement that surprises me, as the manual apparently contradicts what Michael has written:

The second is Shutter priority at 1/800 sec, Auto ISO, 10 FPS, with narrow area auto-focus, and continuous focus tracking. This is for fast action and wildlife.

To my understanding, the 10 fps setting freezes the focus as well as the exposure to that of the first frame in a burst, and would not function in the AF-C plus Tracking mode.  To do that would, unfortunately, require the Low setting, with a maximum of 6.5 fps. Yes? No?

Also, Michael, while in Antarctica for your next trip, would you do a mini-experiment on birds-in-flight comparing ease and focus hit rate comparing AF-S, AF-C and AF-C plus tracking?  Some folks at DP-Review find that AF-S seems to be the choice, and my personal experience with the OLY 75-300 MkII and AF-C with or without tracking was a disaster for seagulls, and only a bit better for airlines coming in on their final approaches.

Full Disclosure:  I have years of using Canon 1DII and 5DIII with the 500mm f/4 and a 2x, and the 100-400 with a 1.4 extender with continuous focus with no problems, so it is not lack of experience with birds-in-flight shooting that was the problem.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:10:58 pm by walter.sk »

michael

Re: Question on Michael's "Best Camera" write-up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »

You're partially correct.

The E-M1's maximum frame rate with continuous focus tracking is 6.5 FPS. But, only with certain recent lenses. It's about 5 FPS with the majority of MFT lenses.

I set it at 10FPS because I'm usually more interested in capturing a fast occurring moment than a fast moving one. Easy enough to drop down to 5FPS if tracking a child or wildlife. Or one can create a separate MYSET setting for it.

Michael

walter.sk

Re: Question on Michael's "Best Camera" write-up
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:24 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up.  I gotta admit that it's a fun camera to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up