Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossing The Double Line  (Read 2845 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Crossing The Double Line
« on: December 27, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »

I would appreciate any C&C on what could be done to improve this image. I am including the Camera Raw and what I did with it. Thanks in advance, -t
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Crossing The Double Line
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:37 pm »

I think more contrast would be good.

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:21:09 pm »

Todd B&W is definitely the way to go with this I like the leading lines !

Bruce, I agree with a little more contrast but that is getting  posterized now,
I did however darken the shadow of the pole and add contrast by adjusting values in the green red and orange channel  for the grasses and hay bales , the blue slider to darken the pole shadow and the yellow channel to brighten the yellow lines slightly  in the B&W layer adjustment panel of CS6 and using a couple of duplicate adjustment layers and selectively masking
This tends to put more emphasis on the subjects I think ;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:13:13 am »

Todd, the strength of the image is in its dynamic composition and visual pun. As such, it does not need color or fancy post processing for further impact. What David did doesn't hurt, however.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:14:49 am »

Indeed, it really is all about the message. I think in cases like this that's the most important feature, and whatever else gets done to play around with the 'look' of it doesn't really matter very much - if anything, getting too clever can disguise the very thing that one is trying to show.

Nice idea well spotted (couldn't write that in the days of film without causing offence!).

Rob C

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:20:22 am »

I took no Hippocratic oath as a critiquer and, though I did some harm to your picture, I feel, I pushed it in a direction appropriate to its lurid theme [though I mainly had abstraction in mind at the time].  Divid's version is so vividly representational that my only response is to steer to the right.  In that regard, your flatter version works better by seeming more casual and innocent.

Stacy agrees with Rob about the importance of message, however, she thinks a creative writing course may be needed to help you choose symbols in a more high-tone way.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:50:20 am by Bruce Cox »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:36:01 pm »

Thanks to everyone for their input. It is very helpful to hear, and see, other "views". Much appreciated, -t   .....still learning
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »

Todd, the strength of the image is in its dynamic composition and visual pun. As such, it does not need color or fancy post processing for further impact. What David did doesn't hurt, however.

Slobodan's right on the mark, Todd. What matters is the message you got across in the picture. Post-processing can't really improve on that. We tend to get too wrapped around the axle on technique and often don't pay enough attention to the art, which in photography especially has almost nothing to do with technique.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:50 am »

Slobodan's right on the mark, Todd. What matters is the message you got across in the picture. Post-processing can't really improve on that. We tend to get too wrapped around the axle on technique and often don't pay enough attention to the art, which in photography especially has almost nothing to do with technique.

HC-B would be proof of that!

Basic technical skills, but massive savoir faire with what he had with what he found.

Rob C

Ed Blagden

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:34:56 am »

Hey Todd

Back after my Christmas break.

Your images have been getting better and better since you started posting here and this one is a beaut.  Love the composition.

Since you will keep asking about PP ideas, and just to annoy Russ, how about this?  All done in LR, no PS involvement.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:51 am »

Thanks Ed for the encouragement. Yes, you guys are really helping me a lot. I very much appreciate the time and effort. Long way to go, but that is the fun of it anyway. I attempted to replicate what you did (attached).  Here is what I did to attempt to replicate your version which I like best of all:
Selected all but yellow lines: -100 Saturation; Color temp shift cooler
Selected yellow lines: Saturation +33; Color temp warmer
Global: +19 Contrast; -50 blacks

Is this an OK way to do it or is there a better way? Thanks again, -t
One Day At A Time

Ed Blagden

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:46 am »

Thanks Ed for the encouragement. Yes, you guys are really helping me a lot. I very much appreciate the time and effort. Long way to go, but that is the fun of it anyway. I attempted to replicate what you did (attached).  Here is what I did to attempt to replicate your version which I like best of all:
Selected all but yellow lines: -100 Saturation; Color temp shift cooler
Selected yellow lines: Saturation +33; Color temp warmer
Global: +19 Contrast; -50 blacks

Is this an OK way to do it or is there a better way? Thanks again, -t

Hi Todd, no problem.  Nice to see someone getting better and better in real time.

Keep in mind that the adjustments I made were to a low res jpeg, not a high res original RAW file so my attempt was cruder than yours, just to demo an effect.  I can't remember the adjustments I made exactly but your approach of painting a mask for the yellow lines and adjusting saturation etc is the right way to go and pretty much what I did.

If you want a slightly different BW effect more similar to my rendering which is a bit more "gritty" then you could try upping the clarity - from experience I can say that BW images can take a lot more clarity than the colour versions.  And if you like then dive into to the tone curve to increase contrast still further.  If you want to change the toning then you can always use the luminance sliders in the HSL panel, they will still work even if your image is completely desaturated (I didn't bother to do this on your image but you can do this if you want).

What I also did is apply a split toning "recipe" of my own which I use on most BW images - 50 Highlights / 15 saturation, 250 Darks / 15 saturation, balance to taste.  Then add a bit of grain.  This gives the image a different look.  You may or may not like this but I would certainly encourage you to experiment with split toning but always keep it subtle.  It is one of those LR tricks which can completely lift an image.

Kind Regards

Ed

ps  I see that the thingumibob to the left of the central-right telegraph pole has come out yellow, as has the bottom of the pole.  Mistake?  Or intent?

EDIT pps: My 13 year old daughter just walked into my study, saw your image on my #2 monitor, and said "oh wow".  So you have a vote of confidence!  She seemed rather disappointed when I told her it was not my image.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:52:18 am by Ed Blagden »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:44 pm »

Your good work has made me want to try again.

Though before I had worked to differentiate the road more from the grass, as others have, it now seems to me that their unity is a greater danger to the driver and thus the greater trill.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:56:31 pm by Bruce Cox »

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 11:11:55 am »

ps  I see that the thingumibob to the left of the central-right telegraph pole has come out yellow, as has the bottom of the pole.  Mistake?  Or intent?

EDIT pps: My 13 year old daughter just walked into my study, saw your image on my #2 monitor, and said "oh wow".  So you have a vote of confidence!  She seemed rather disappointed when I told her it was not my image.

LOL Its all in the eye of the beholder! Thanks for all the good advice. I will play with it all!
Re: Thingumibob, Yeah I did not remove it, was just playing with your suggestions and knew I wasn't done
One Day At A Time

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

5+ guide lines leading you out of the image into the real world.
Nice one !

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »

LOL Its all in the eye of the beholder! Thanks for all the good advice. I will play with it all!
Re: Thingumibob, Yeah I did not remove it, was just playing with your suggestions and knew I wasn't done

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS IMAGE. NOW THAT I HAVE DIGESTED YOUR INPUT... I thought I would post the final version as I have printed it. The end result is far better (not saying it is up to you guys) than I would have been able to envision or execute a couple weeks ago when I posted it. So.. Thank YOU! -t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up