Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fuji xe1 w/canon TS lens- failed experiment  (Read 3845 times)

EricHausman

fuji xe1 w/canon TS lens- failed experiment
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:34 am »

Greetings
 I am seeking advise on making this combo work  ( if possible) -  Love the fuji files so thought it would be nice to be able to use my Canon TS lenses-
purchased a Kipon  eos- x mount adapter  (about 80 bucks)-    lenses mount fine  tight-
here is the problem:
test was a room scene  with centered focused at 10 feet-  and distance confirmed with tape measure-
controlled testing at f11    tested with and without shift only  (no tilts)
tested both  the 17  & 24    and the same scene to fuji 18-55  (at 18 f11)
TS files look like crap-  soft , center was bad, edges were mush,  distance scale on lens unusable (was back focusing on both lenses so found the focus point thru trial and error)
no contest-  fuji lens beautiful
                  TS  unusable
Both myself and my assistant reviewed the testing , couldn't find anything we did wrong

has anyone tried this and been successful?
would appreciate your thoughts 
cheers
Eric Hausman

Manoli

Re: fuji xe1 w/canon TS lens- failed experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:25:04 am »

2 thoughts -

(1) have you tried a non-TS canon lens with the adaptor ? Do you also get unusable results ? If so - it's the adapter.
(2) have you tried another adapter ? would suggest either Novoflex or Metabones.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:54 pm »

Eric, I am not all that well versed on T/S lenses and my comments will probably be of little help, However I have had some decent success using a FD 35mm Tilt shift. I use a Rainbow imaging adapter adapter.

I also have a similar EOS adapter & have great luck using it with my 400/5.6 lens & the 300/4.(always wide open, I do not use the adapter Iris to control light) I cannot imagine anything other than the adapter being the problem. There does not seem to be any reason your EOS T/S lenses should not work like any other adapted lenses.

Most likely not related to your performance issue, but I am curious. I assume you are presetting the aperture with an EOS Camera. Since the FD lens is a manual aperture lens, I can focus wide open & then stop down to meter & expose. How do you manage with the EOS lens. I know it is manual focus, but isn't the aperture controlled by the camera control wheel? seems to me it would be hard to focus stopped down.

I do know that once you tilt or shift the FD lens the distance scale becomes unusable, it even mentions that in the instruction manual I have for it. I assume it would due no different with the EOS lens.

I hope you find a solution.
Warren

EricHausman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »

Thanks for the replies-  will try to answer ?s

yes, also tried 50 1.2 at f4-  sharp as a tack-  distance scale seemed pretty right on-
did not try any other adapters, Novoflex and Metabones do not make a Eos to X that I could find

yes, preset aperture at f11  and yes is hard to focus stopped down- did so by trial and error looking at files- camera on tripod didn't move
files sent wireless to laptop

did not tilt the lens, camera level, my experience on canon is that with shift only 10 feet is 10 feet  - on the fuji it appeared that  7ft was about 10 ft
something else is going on that I can't put my finger on-  I did see on another topic post that there my be issues with wide angles adapted to the fuji
perhaps this is what I am experiencing
cheers

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:11:21 pm »

I believe the issue may be flange focal distance.   I had looked into this in mid 2013, both with Metabones and Novoflex as they make adapters to take the older Canon FD lenses to X but no a EOS EF lens.  Back in the day, when Canon first announced the EOS EF line up they made a canon adapter to allow you to move the FD to EOS/EF mount, but you lost infinity focus.    Same reason you can't mount a nikkon G to Canon, the reverse is true.    Many  people that want to use the 35mm FD Canon on a EOS body will send it off to have the mount changed to EOS.  

I would see you possibly losing infinity focus, but your test was at 10 feet which should be inside the 24 TS-E's infinity.  

Did you get a good focus with the LCD/EVF with peaking?  I only ask because if the manual focus peaking display shows a good focus, then it should work.  

Hope you get it to work as I also would like to use my 24mm TS-E on the XE1.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

EricHausman

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:20:38 pm »

Paul,
  yes  got good focus peaking-   looked good on the lcd and evf-   certainly at f11 should have been sharp front to back
but the quality of the file just wasn't there -
Pages: [1]   Go Up