Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you switched from Epson to Canon?  (Read 31549 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
Have you switched from Epson to Canon?
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

I'm thinking of getting a Canon iPF9400 to replace my Epson 11880.

If you have made the switch I'd love to hear about your experience.

By-the-way, I print about 50% on matte canvas and 50% on matte paper.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

slackercruster

Re: Have you switched from Epson to Canon?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:48 pm »

No, have not. i use 3880 and R2000 and sticking with them for now.  i think Canon is about 10% - 15% better for fade resistance than Epson. But don't hold me to it.  If Epson comes out with a 3880 with gloss optimizer and Epson vivid i will be thrilled.

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:36 pm »

I'll probably hang with Epson since most B&W ink sets are made for them.  Canon doesn't seem to get a lot of love from the B&W ink suppliers and Piezo printers for some reason.  Maybe the RIP people don't get a decent SDK program guide for the Canon printers over Epson.  Wish they would as I prefer to change heads out myself and Canon isn't that unbearable in printer head costs compared to Epson where it pretty much is disposable once the head blows chunks.

SG

tradman9

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:45 pm »

I have a 9800 that's trapped in my house due to a fire (careless smoking by the neighbour) so I got a Canon 6400 to carry on while in my temporary location.  Very happy with the Canon in terms of output, I do artwork reproductions so the colours have to be right on (I was doing fine on the 9800 using Vera inks).  The BIG difference is that I don't waste a pile of time, ink, energy and cursing at the 9800 while dealing with ink dropouts (clogs) sometimes even during a (big) print, then running multiple cleaning cycles, plus running a nozzle check before every print.  The Canon just prints, no hassle at all. 

Having said this, not all is roses, the Canon's sheet loading routine is a time wasting farce, but in balance way better than the hassles with the Epson.

As an aside, just putting this out there in case anyone has direct experience or other knowledge about the situation: due to size and other issues, the 9800 is the only personal possession still in my fire damaged house, which is being repaired as we speak.  However the roof was entirely removed last week so my house has been topless for a week in the Canadian winter.  The printer is bundled with a thick protective industrial type blanket but it's been exposed to sub-freezing temperatures for over a week.  No time to drain the ink as we had to evacuate while the fire was blazing.  I'm wondering what damage to the print head and other parts freezing might have done - no doubt I'll find out when the insurance co. hires Decision One to do the clean and recovery process, just wondering if I need to think about a replacement.

Ken

jferrari

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:46:51 pm »

Ken, I think you are in for a new printer! To the best of my knowledge the Epson pigment inks are not freeze/thaw stable and I can't imagine what has happened to the print head and dampers if the ink actually froze inside them. (Ever see latex paint after it has been frozen?)           - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »

i think Canon is about 10% - 15% better for fade resistance
I most interested in knowing how trouble free it is.
I print a lot and I've had recurring problems on all three of my 11880 printers.
I'm hoping that the Canon might be less troublesome.

Thanks!
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

I'll probably hang with Epson since most B&W ink sets are made for them.
Almost all my printing is full color so that's not an issue for me.

I prefer to change heads out myself...
I like the idea, but I don't have any experience with that yet. I've seen many heads replaced on my 11880s when they were under warranty. Once the warranty expires the cost of the service call is prohibitive and the only real choice is to buy a new primer.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:24:10 pm »

The BIG difference is that I don't waste a pile of time, ink, energy and cursing at the 9800 while dealing with ink dropouts (clogs) sometimes even during a (big) print, then running multiple cleaning cycles, plus running a nozzle check before every print.  The Canon just prints, no hassle at all.

That sounds like a dream to me! I've printed thousands of nozzle checks and wasted gallons of ink with cleaning cycles. Even with that I still sometimes see banding when nozzle clogs occur during printing. 

the Canon's sheet loading routine is a time wasting farce
Not an issue for me. I use other printers for smaller cut paper prints.

Sorry to hear about your fire and now the potential freeze damage to the printer. I'd be shocked if you don't have to replace it.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:42:26 pm »

I`ve used a Canon ipf8100 for several years and I have had to replace the print heads several times. It only takes a few minutes. My problem is probably from not printing often enough instead of too much. From what you have experienced with head replacements on your Epsons the Canon would be a big improvement.
Mike

aaronchan

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:12 pm »

I used to be a epson 9880 user which is similar to your 11880
And now I'm using the Canon 8300 which is similar to the 9400 as well

I don't see why not make a switch. 9400 has better color than the 11880
the print head is cheaper and is self replaceable
it is way faster than the 11880
you are mostly print on paper and canvas and i don't think you will print on something like aluminium or foamboard
but the canon has a very good feed path as well
the canon breaks down less than the epson in my exp.
also the canon waste lot less ink than epson during the cleaning cycle

aaron

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »

9400 has better color than the 11880
I'd be surprised if the 9400 is significantly better than the 11880. If it is just as good I'll be satisfied.

...it is way faster than the 11880...also the canon waste lot less ink...
That's nice but not critical.

...the canon breaks down less than the epson...
That is the key thing. Less wasted time and money.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 10:17:01 pm »

I have had to replace the print heads several times. It only takes a few minutes.
I'm glad to hear that.

Any problems that you've noticed? For example, one chronic problem that I've had on my 11880 printers is intermittent drips of ink on large canvases.
Epson has never found a solution.

Any odd problems like that with the Canon wide format printers?
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Mike Sellers

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:29 pm »

No, I`ve never experienced any drips or other problems. It just needs a $400.00 print head once in a while.

jferrari

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 01:06:28 am »

...intermittent drips of ink on large canvases.

I used to have the "spitting" problem, too. Perform a good cleaning then try dialing back the color density in the printer settings under paper config. I'd try increments of 5 (-5, -10, -15, etc.) Worker for me, YMMV.    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 06:07:35 am »

try dialing back the color density...
I tried that and thought that the images started to look anemic. And I still got drips.

I wonder if anyone who uses Canon printer every has ink drips or "spitting"?
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

alain

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:04 am »

No, I`ve never experienced any drips or other problems. It just needs a $400.00 print head once in a while.

Can you give some more info about the print head "once in a while"?
(High/low print volume and replacement interval timing.)

Mike Sellers

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 09:48:09 am »

My printer gets light use and I have replaced print heads about once a year. I will put up with that instead of the Epson problems.

edknightphoto

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:04 am »

My concerns with a 1-year old ipf6400 follow (I've not owned a LF Epson due to past frustrations with their A4 printers).

1.  Ink lines on the back side of prints, typically 1" or less from the edge of both sheet & roll paper.  Research suggests the ink may be from the vacuum system picking up & redepositing ink mist.  These marks have not been visible from the front, but would be an issue with double-sided printing if you do not trim/hide the edges.

2.  Pizza wheel marks on some luster papers (I've not printed on glossy papers & wheel marks have not been a problem on matte or fine art papers).  The marks are tiny, but visible in solid dark areas.  I've not taken the risk of purchasing rolls of the problem papers, so can't comment on whether wheel marks an issue with those papers in rolls.  I'm currently printing on Canon-branded luster paper & it prints without marks.

3.  The sheet feed mechanism is slow and frustrating to use.  There are too many buttons to push & alignment errors are common.  Rolls are easy, however.

These are my only issues & am generally happy with the printer.  Output is wonderful.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:51:19 am »

I have had a Epson 7900 for about 3 years now and a Canon 8300 for a little over 1 year.

To me, the bottom line is, the canon is a much more user friendly experience than the 7900.

Far less time spent doing the nozzle check and head clean dance that is required for the epson.

The canon did drip ink on one print out of several hundred since I have owned it, but not near as
bad as the epson. A circuit board on the canon went bad and was replaced under warranty.

The epson never required a service call, but I still prefer the day to day user experience of the canon.

I have owned 2 epson 3800's  that were very trouble free until their deaths, now have a 3880
The 7900 is a different beast however.

Bill

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:25 am »

No real expertise or conscious bias here. I use a new 3880 recently purchased to replace a 3800 that died after almost seven years of moderate amateur use, mostly with matte papers. I have always used Epson printers, have speculated about Canons but I know almost no one who uses a Canon wide format printer. I just wonder if there is a significantly smaller installed user base of Canons and that that accounts for the fewer apparent problems reported on user fora such as this, just wondering? Data anyone?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up