Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing files by folders ??  (Read 2292 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Managing files by folders ??
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »

How do you arrange/organize your files/folders?

Lets say I shoot 7 different models of the iPhone, I shoot 3 angles of each. I have all the RAW in a folder, then the Selected "goods" for each color and each angle. Then the Processed of each,  I have them in PSD Tif and JPG. 

Any standard way of doing this.  I have been for a long time and been managing them rather well, but I am open to learn other methods or hierarchy methods

My files I name with my name, then clients.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Managing files by folders ??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:39:12 am »

I'm surprised no one has replied to this...

You have described exactly the scenario for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. You see, LR reduces and in many cases, eliminates the need for folders of TIFFs and JPEGs (not to mention bloated PSD files in most cases). After processing your RAW files in LR (with perhaps the odd foray into PS as needed), you create the TIFFs and JPEGs upon demand and send them to your client. Since you can generate new ones on the fly, there is no real need to store them. However, if, for some reason you feel you need to, upon Export, you can instruct LR to keep the TIFFs and JPEGs in nested folders in LR alongside you originals, or even in a separate folder. Later, after their "best before date" you can delete them.

The point is, hanging on to client-side files is simply no longer necessary. And, processing with LR reduces the need for PS and the larger files generated by it. Your time spent processing and creating client files will be greatly reduced. Also, your computer system will run faster, as you are not dealing with PSDs and TIFFs; and your hard drive requirements are reduced.

I'm not being a fanboy for LR as this is true of all the modern, pro, photo-specific apps such as Capture1 and Aperture amongst others. With each of these being fully fledged catalogues, alongside incredibly useful and efficient processing engines, both "desk jobs" become more efficient.

I hope this helps. I know it was a catalog using question, but it really demanded a "bigger picture" answer.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up