Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: batch remove erroneous keywords  (Read 10402 times)

dandaman56

batch remove erroneous keywords
« on: November 20, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »

Is there any way to remove erroneous keywords from multiple images other than manually removing each instance?

allegretto

Re: batch remove erroneous keywords
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:38 am »

Is there any way to remove erroneous keywords from multiple images other than manually removing each instance?

get all images you wish to erase the errant keyword in the viewer and make one a primary variant and the rest variants. Use whatever query you like to get them (perhaps the offensive keyword)

go to keywords and remove the unwanted one from the primary, then copy apply to all variants ... no?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:19 am »

When you select multiple photos, the KW panel displays any KW they all have in common. Simply select all the photos with the offending KW and then delete the KW from the KW box.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:32 am »

When you select multiple photos, the KW panel displays any KW they all have in common. Simply select all the photos with the offending KW and then delete the KW from the KW box.

I just saw you are using Capture 1 and not LR - what I described works for LR, not sure about C1.

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:19:17 am »

I just saw you are using Capture 1 and not LR - what I described works for LR, not sure about C1.

probably would and I like your idea better. fewer clicks or so it seems. But if he doesn't want to remove all the images associated with that keyword he has to review them anyway.

Just realized my first idea may not work since if you copy/apply you will set many things different unless there is a way to just change that one parameter. There is of course if you pull down the menu of what you are copying. But now you're really adding time and clicks

So I like Peter's suggestion better, but you may have to review them visually, and deselect the ones you want to keep with the kyword
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:24:45 am by allegretto »

dandaman56

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:03:18 am »

I tried selecting all images with the erroneous keyword and then deleting the keyword from the box listing common keywords.  At best, it deletes the keyword from ONE of the selected images.  All the rest are unaffected.  I too, thought this would work - it seems intuitive - but it doesn't.  So far the only way that seems to work is to individually delete from each image.  Yuck.

dandaman56

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:09:39 am »

As for the variant idea - my understanding is a variant is by definition a different version of the SAME image.  So I don't think you can make images 2,3,4,5, etc. variants of image 1.  Also many of the images which have the erroneous keyword also have one or more correct keywords.  So I can't really copy/paste on a grand scale, because many of the images have (other) correct keywords that nonetheless don't apply to other images that have the erroneous keyword. 

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 08:23:18 pm »

use errant keyword to collect the list in an album with advanced search tool

go to metadata tab and leave all blank but check "keywords

remove that key word from primary variant

select all

copy and apply

should be out...

dandaman56

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »

That worked.  Thank you!

gponz

• Disturbances in the Wash
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 05:35:15 pm »

I know most of you here don't use Aperture, but in case someone lands here searching how to batch remove keywords like I did, one quick and easy way to do it in Aperture is to use Shift-Return in the Keyword Controls:

1. Select all images with the wrong keyword (you can create a Smart Album for that keyword if they're all over the place).
2. Open the Control Bar and switch to Keyboard Controls.
3. Type the keyword you want to remove into the Add Keyword field and hit Shift-Return.

That will remove only that one keyword from all selected photographs and leave all other metadata alone. I wrote a quick entry about it with a step by step video here.

James R

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:12:40 am »

Obviously, everybody does key wording better than C1Pro. :D

OMGAYA

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »

this is not working for me

I Cant batch delete keywords which were wrongly assigned...i select multiple images, enter the keyword i want removed (in the bottom control bar) and press shift return but only i images gets changed....any help please....

using APERTURE 3.6 (YOSEMITE)
Pages: [1]   Go Up