Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.  (Read 44781 times)

Rory

• Recent images
Re: Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5 for €9.99 per month...12 month contract.
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:27 pm »

I'm still waiting for adobe to fix the Script UI in Bridge.  It was working in CS5 but script created dialogs with scroll bars, dropdowns and trees aren't functioning in CS6 or CC.  This means any Bridge script using these controls is non-functional and I'm having to keep CS5 active to run my scripts.  Adobe will not even acknowledge the problem that was identified in the CS6 beta well over a year ago.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:08 am »

Content Aware Fill in PS CS5 was a great addition, that alone justified the PS upgrade even at full price. The tiny improvements made since then might be appreciated by some, and not even noticed by others.

And the whole premise of "And it's just US $9.99/month when you sign up for a one-year plan. Just trust us! " is outright misleading.
I was planning to give it a try and evaluate it for a couple of months before deciding whether I should continue with it. It appears they don't provide such an option.
Even lesser programs you can try out nowadays before purchasing them. And with those programs at least you know what you are getting.   
More accurate description would be "Before you can even look at it, you'll have to commit $119.88 and then you can use it for twelve months".

tuthill

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2013, 12:39:13 am »

Content Aware Fill in PS CS5 was a great addition, that alone justified the PS upgrade even at full price. The tiny improvements made since then might be appreciated by some, and not even noticed by others.

And the whole premise of "And it's just US $9.99/month when you sign up for a one-year plan. Just trust us! " is outright misleading.
I was planning to give it a try and evaluate it for a couple of months before deciding whether I should continue with it. It appears they don't provide such an option.
Even lesser programs you can try out nowadays before purchasing them. And with those programs at least you know what you are getting.   
More accurate description would be "Before you can even look at it, you'll have to commit $119.88 and then you can use it for twelve months".

If you cancel within the first 30 days Adobe will refund your cash:

http://www.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/ccm_photoshop_app_offer.html

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:51 am »

This may be an even bigger threat for Adobe than the lukewarm CC sales not withstanding several rounds of discounts...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/21/rag-bone-diy-project_n_4317572.html

Cheers,
Bernard

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:48 am »

You can do a 30 day trial with CC products just like with non-subscription versions.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MikeChambers

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2013, 02:52:50 pm »

We have thirty day trials for Creative Cloud, which will allow you to try the software and service out.

Just select "Free" on the plans page:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

vjbelle

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:35 pm »

Actually the $9.99 plan makes a lot of sense to me.  I had signed up for the $29.95 plan but canceled it - an easy process - and signed up for the Photography plan.  Everything went very smooth.

Victor

ButchM

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »

If anyone thinks this subscription will stay at $9.99 forever...they are naive. There is no way Adobe can guarantee this...and thinking it might be so is just wishful thinking. Costs go up on everything with software costs being so labour intensive...how can anyone guarantee staying at the same price 10 years from now?

I, for one, would never expect the price of any product or service to be locked in forever ... or for ten years ... my concern is with the path of future development. With the perpetual license model, customers could speak with their wallet if a particular version upgrade offered little to enhance their personal workflow. The consumer of the product had a direct vote of approval or pass on a version and could demonstrate that opinion with something that multi-billion dollar corporations understand ... cold, hard cash ... or the lack thereof.

With the CC model, subscribers are forced to underwrite any and all future development, regardless of what direction that development takes. ... or at what pace those new features/functions are implemented. Sure, subscribers could pass on updating apps when the new version really doesn't bring much to the party ... however, they must continue to pay their monthly stipend to Adobe or be boxed out. The model removes any and all power from the consumer to voice their disproval of the product in a meaningful manner large corporations can take to heart. The only method to be heard by such large interests is to impact their bottom line. That is entirely impossible under the CC model with no viable head-to-head alternative.

I am convinced that over the long haul, development and innovation will slow in pace and decrease in value because Adobe will have a captive audience who once CS6 becomes a dead, end-of-life product, subscribers will have nowhere to exit. It's not that I question the engineers involved as to their capabilities, expertise or desire to create ... I question whether the executives involved will continue to support the current level of investment in resources that would ensure reasonable further development of their products for any extended period. Those very executives have done little over the past couple of years to instill any confidence that they have their customer's best interests at heart. After all, they had to "listen" for months to come up with the Photographer's Package in the first place. If they had a clue about their customers, such an offer would have been announced back in May.

I still have about 34 days to make up my mind on this offer before the deadline will pass ... so far, there is very little, other than the current attractive price point that is encouraging to a confident path into the future. Unless something major presents itself soon, I am leaning very strongly on pass up the offer.

elliot_n

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2013, 05:35:16 pm »

Photoshop CC has been out for a while now (5 months?).

What new features have Adobe added since its release?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:49 pm »

I, for one, would never expect the price of any product or service to be locked in forever ...

With the CC model, subscribers are forced to underwrite any and all future development, regardless of what direction that development takes. ..

I am convinced that over the long haul, development and innovation will slow in pace and decrease in value because Adobe will have a captive audience

I still have about 34 days to make up my mind on this offer before the deadline will pass ... so far, there is very little, other than the current attractive price point that is encouraging to a confident path into the future. Unless something major presents itself soon, I am leaning very strongly on pass up the offer.

1.  Given favourable market conditions I wouldn't expect more than 12 months.  And it will go like this:  You can keep your current sub at it's current price, but if you want this new bauble/feature/access.. you'll need to upgrade.  And soon they'll discontinue the current sub.  THough, the way things have been going for Adobe lately I wouldn't say conditions are good.

2&3.  With subs there is hardly any incentive to innovate and add new features.  After all, it's not like they can advertise "upgrades" and sell new copies.  To increase profits past their delta point they'll need to increase sub prices.. so there might be a few new features.  

4.   Adobe I think is learning just how large their used market is by now.. and those customers won't be coming over to subs..  
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

jjj

« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

One point that I thought that was good about the subscription model was the fact that software developers no longer had to do major features in time to hit marketing targets. Now they can concentrate on ironing out product niggles that would normally get sidelined by developing headline features to a deadline. And also work on fancy things too.

My issue it that although the PS + LR deal is pretty good value, a lot of photographers also do some video editing work too or use another package occasionally, but another 550% increase in cost to get the whole CC suite seems like a shocking amount more in comparison.
The getting the entire suite seems like a bargain. But the reality is that very, very few people if any use the whole thing, so you simply get a bunch of products that you do not use. But are still paying for them. In reality typical Adobe users such as video editors, print designers or a web developers are only ever going to use a subset of the tools.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »

Photoshop CC has been out for a while now (5 months?).

What new features have Adobe added since its release?

What have the Romans ever done for us? Read back in the thread and you'll see I mentioned some. Another is Generator.

jjj

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:07 pm »

This is also useful for that sort of question.

elliot_n

« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:33 pm »

Perhaps I asked the wrong question. What I wanted to know is whether Photoshop CC subscribers (I'm stuck on CS6) are happy with the the pace that Adobe is adding new features?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2013, 10:01:38 pm »

My issue it that although the PS + LR deal is pretty good value, a lot of photographers also do some video editing work too or use another package occasionally, but another 550% increase in cost to get the whole CC suite seems like a shocking amount more in comparison.

Or they are like me and just HATE Premiere!  I love Sony Vegas and do a LOT of video work.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2013, 10:13:50 pm »

This is also useful for that sort of question.

Yep, "let me google that for you" is pretty cool!

Cheers,
Bernard

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2013, 12:24:50 am »

What have the Romans ever done for us? Read back in the thread and you'll see I mentioned some. Another is Generator.

PS Generator is a great example of something I would never use. Same for Behance and uploading to Cloud. Seems like all real innovations are going into LR and the PS project was taken over by marketing guys and beancounters.

I started with PS 3.0  in 1994, and kept upgrading every time a new version came out. Until PS 6.0 in 2000.
The pace of development slowed down after that and I didn't see any dramatic improvements in PS until 2011 when PS CS5 came out with Content Aware Fill. Between 2000 and 2011 the trusty PS6 served me well.  I didn't use it every day, but it was paid for, it was there when I needed it, and I was able to move it without any difficulties and hassles to new computers, as I upgraded my hardware.

When PS CS5 was announced, I was not eligible anymore for an upgrade and had to fork out again the full price for CS5. I didn't mind so much, since just the CAF feature paid for it many times. Looking at the list of new features in PS CS6 and PS CC, I see a number of additions but not too many that would simplify my workflow or improve productivity. These wouldn't be features as the oil paint filter or support for Middle Eastern languages that were advertised in PS CS6.

With the CC model, subscribers are forced to underwrite any and all future development, regardless of what direction that development takes. ... or at what pace those new features/functions are implemented. Sure, subscribers could pass on updating apps when the new version really doesn't bring much to the party ... however, they must continue to pay their monthly stipend to Adobe or be boxed out. The model removes any and all power from the consumer to voice their disproval of the product in a meaningful manner large corporations can take to heart. The only method to be heard by such large interests is to impact their bottom line. That is entirely impossible under the CC model with no viable head-to-head alternative.

I am convinced that over the long haul, development and innovation will slow in pace and decrease in value because Adobe will have a captive audience who once CS6 becomes a dead, end-of-life product, subscribers will have nowhere to exit. It's not that I question the engineers involved as to their capabilities, expertise or desire to create ... I question whether the executives involved will continue to support the current level of investment in resources that would ensure reasonable further development of their products for any extended period. Those very executives have done little over the past couple of years to instill any confidence that they have their customer's best interests at heart. After all, they had to "listen" for months to come up with the Photographer's Package in the first place. If they had a clue about their customers, such an offer would have been announced back in May.

Well said and very likely scenario.
It's a sad state of affairs when we get more news / rumours from a very secretive company about upcoming large iPhone models, 13" iPads, and round Macs than about any new plans and directions in Adobe PS development. Doesn't make a good case for switching to the subscription model.

As for now, I upgraded my perpetual LR license to LR 5 and will keep using CS5 until I see a compelling reason to switch to a better product, preferrably with a perpetual license.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:33:50 am by LesPalenik »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2013, 04:18:56 am »

PS Generator is a great example of something I would never use.
Despite my best efforts, a friend says the same about layers! A new computer led him to upgrade and on Adobe's site he didn't see any alternative to renting. He still doesn't use layers.

jjj

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2013, 05:03:11 am »

Or they are like me and just HATE Premiere!  I love Sony Vegas and do a LOT of video work.
That's a different argument. Vegas is a much underrated programme and criminally ignored by Sony. Many years back not long after Sony bought up Sonic Foundry who came up with Vegas, Acid etc, at a Video Trade show I asked the chaps promoting Sony products, why Sony Laptops came with trials of Premiere. Apparently each part of the company was completely separate and didn't really talk to each other. Which kind of undermined one of the biggest benefits of being a large diverse company.
If Sony had given away Vegas with its laptops or cameras for a few years they'd have grabbed a huge slice of the market as Vegas was so much better than the competition, which has since implemented a lot of the good ideas in Vegas.
Some products in Adobe's Creative Suite were similar, with numerous solutions to the same problem. Sometimes it was difficult to see that they came from the same company.

And Vegas being great is sadly not much use to those using Macs.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2013, 05:05:31 am »

Some products in Adobe's Creative Suite were similar, with numerous solutions to the same problem. Sometimes it was difficult to see that they came from the same company.
Maybe because they didn't? Remember Macromedia?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up