Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ctein video  (Read 122894 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Ctein video
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:33 pm »

Check the receipt that you were sent. In it are all the links necessary to download the app and then your videos.

See my posts towards the end this thread
Okay, you want us to download and install the Purple Player thing. That's the "LuLa app". No thank you.
Still don't see any way to directly just download the file.
Apart from how I listed above. That will have to do I guess.
David

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 06:55:19 pm »

A more direct link to download the LuLa app is through this page.

If you do not wish to install the app, you are restricted to streaming the file in your browser. As mentioned in other threads, the LuLa player app is I believe, a version of VLC Player with our branding and some in-app purchase ability added.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 07:09:17 pm »

Despite the odd issues I have with the purple player thingy from time to time(mostly streaming interruptions & slow downloads), The Ctein video was worth the price of admission to the Lula Cloud. Mike, you have set the bar high with that one. What are you going to do to top that performance? Huh? ;D I have never encountered this guy before, you can bet I am going to finish watching LLVJ 11 now!(I just finished Costa Rica a day so ago). And then look up this cat on the web. Interesting and funny fellow.
Warren

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

Despite the odd issues I have with the purple player thingy from time to time(mostly streaming interruptions & slow downloads), The Ctein video was worth the price of admission to the Lula Cloud. Mike, you have set the bar high with that one. What are you going to do to top that performance? Huh? ;D I have never encountered this guy before, you can bet I am going to finish watching LLVJ 11 now!(I just finished Costa Rica a day so ago). And then look up this cat on the web. Interesting and funny fellow.
Phew! That's great WT! At least one person has seen it!  ::)

stevenarnott

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:34 pm »

I've successfully trained myself to jump through whatever hoops other people put in front of me, so I had no problems, technically or philosophically, with downloading/installing the app and viewing the content.

And a great show it was! Ctein seems like a very interesting, smart guy, and I'd love to hear more from him concerning the current and future state of photography and inkjet printing (which I've been doing for a grand total of about three months now, which makes me practically an expert, right?  :D).

I have the full, watch-everything package, and I just happened to watch the interview Michael did ten years ago with Ctein, which was also great.

Ctein mentioned in the 10-years-ago video his concerns with several aspects of inkjet print permanence that I was hoping he would re-address in this latest vid, but he never mentioned anything about it. For example, he said he doesn't like matte papers, but used them (10 years ago) because the only alternative was ugly-looking glossy paper. What he really wanted was an archival semi-gloss or luster paper, which we now have. Does Ctein still stick with Epson matte papers, or does he use Epson or third-party luster papers? An update on that whole segment of the "old" video would have been a good idea, methinks.

He also mentioned that he would never risk varnishing a print, not knowing what effect it might have on the print. Ten years later, should we still avoid varnishing prints, or have we learned that there are no ill effects?

Anyway, I greatly enjoyed the hour spent listening to Ctein and Michael talk photography,and look forward to more such installments. Thank you, Chris!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 09:06:54 pm »

Great that you enjoyed the vids and got something out of them.

After 14 years of Michael and others doing this, there is a Lot of content on Lula (both written & video) about the issues you raise. Have a look at the Camera to Print & Screen tutorial for advice on papers - it really is personal preference but if you are concerned about permanence, it is probably best to avoid papers with Optical Brighteners. Google Henry Wilhelm and Print Permanence for the definitive advice on the topic.

slackercruster

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »

Ctein, a 'nom de la technologie' adopted during university years - there is of course a story, but one best told by the man himself  ;D

Ctein banned me form the dye transfer forum at Yahoo. He could not accept how dye transfers fade like hell compared to an ink jet print...what an egomaniac.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 10:21:14 am »

Steve,

"What he really wanted was an archival semi-gloss or luster paper, which we now have. Does Ctein still stick with Epson matte papers, or does he use Epson or third-party luster papers? An update on that whole segment of the "old" video would have been a good idea, methinks."

I bought a couple of ink jet prints (Epson 3880) from Ctein during a print offer on The Online Photographer.  At the time he was using Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, though I've seen it mentioned that he now uses the Canson baryta paper which is pretty much equivalent. 

I always find Ctein worth listening to, whether it's about printing or -- tea.  But I agree that an update on the previous video would have been a very interesting segment.

darr

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:57 am »

The Ctein video was great, thank you for producing it.

I really do not know what all the fuss is about watching the videos with the purple player. I paid for a membership and glad I did as so far it seems LL is producing more interviews and instructional videos than in the recent past and paying for the initial membership plus the generous discount has made it a good deal for me. I had one small problem that was quickly resolved when I left my PC and went to view the LL library on my MAC laptop. I needed a link to the video player for the MAC and that problem was resolved quickly through a forum post request.

Thank you Chris, Michael and Ctein, I really enjoyed the interview!

James Orr

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 07:00:20 pm »

I'm trying to get some clarity here. 

I already have most of the journals and tutorials, so a subscription won't make sense for me.

If I purchase this interview, will I be able to save the file and watch it through iTunes? 

When I stream to my ApplyTV via AirPlay, I only get sound half the time.  Apple Tech Support couldn't resolve the issue.  However, if I have iTunes open and select the file through the "Computers" tab on the AppleTV menu, it works every time.

I'm looking forward to seeing more interviews.  I re-watched Art Wolfe's feature last night with friends.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:37 pm »

Information & help on access, playback and installation questions as well as links to the download of the various players are all on this page.

You would not use iTunes but rather the Luminous Landscape player on a Mac or the purple:player for iOS device

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 11:09:34 pm »

+1

Absolutely!

Best regards
Erik
The Ctein video was great, thank you for producing it.

I really do not know what all the fuss is about watching the videos with the purple player. I paid for a membership and glad I did as so far it seems LL is producing more interviews and instructional videos than in the recent past and paying for the initial membership plus the generous discount has made it a good deal for me. I had one small problem that was quickly resolved when I left my PC and went to view the LL library on my MAC laptop. I needed a link to the video player for the MAC and that problem was resolved quickly through a forum post request.

Thank you Chris, Michael and Ctein, I really enjoyed the interview!
Erik Kaffehr

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 11:12:44 am »

I just bought the yearly subscription to all the videos and have the Purple app and love having access to any video I want as long as I have wifi!  Just watched the Ctein video and always love hearing his views. However from strictly a personal standpoint I disagree with his ideas about smaller sensors being "enough".   I'm getting tired of lugging around medium format digital and I like the full frame sony rx1r and A7r cameras. Coming from a large format film and medium format digital background, I just would not want to go with a smaller sensor than full frame  for many reasons.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:48 am »

I just bought the yearly subscription to all the videos and have the Purple app and love having access to any video I want as long as I have wifi!

You also have the option to additionally download any video - no wi-fi then needed.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »

Yes I know (actually I already have many of these downloaded in iTunes on my computer but if I put them on my iPad or iPhone they take up lots of space.  I do put some on my iPad when traveling tho!  the wifi connections gives me some independence from my main computer which is convenient.   Eleanor

You also have the option to additionally download any video - no wi-fi then needed.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up