Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ctein video  (Read 122893 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Ctein video
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:06 pm »

I have posted a one hour 'Conversation with Ctein' on the LuLa Store. Use the filter: Photographers & Interviews in order to locate it.

Ctein and Michael discuss the State of the Photographic Nation - Summer 2013. After a look back at the ten years since the last interview we recorded with him at his home in the San Francisco Bay area (Issue 11 of the LuLa Video Journal), Ctein talks about the challenge of mastering the Dark Side: quarter tones in inkjet printing. The conversation then ranges over current cameras and inkjet printing technology. They they move on to what the future may hold in photographic technology. Finally, Michael and Ctein take a look at some of Ctein's recent prints illustrating his printing work with quarter tones.

A dense and fascinating one hour.

(It may take 24 hours for this new video to show up in customers' Annual subscription package)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:29:58 pm by Chris Sanderson »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Ctein video
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:58:34 am »

I have to say that when I read about the subscription model I thought, "we'll... I already have all the videos I want from LuLa... They will have to start publishing a lot of videos per year for me start considering the subscription instead of buying one or two videos per year, as I did until the moment..."

I am quite glad that I will have to reconsider my initial thoughts here...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »

Great stuff!

Best regards
Erik

I have posted a one hour 'Conversation with Ctein' on the LuLa Store. Use the filter: Photographers & Interviews in order to locate it.

Ctein and Michael discuss the State of the Photographic Nation - Summer 2013. After a look back at the ten years since the last interview we recorded with him at his home in the San Francisco Bay area (Issue 11 of the LuLa Video Journal), Ctein talks about the challenge of mastering the Dark Side: quarter tones in inkjet printing. The conversation then ranges over current cameras and inkjet printing technology. They they move on to what the future may hold in photographic technology. Finally, Michael and Ctein take a look at some of Ctein's recent prints illustrating his printing work with quarter tones.

A dense and fascinating one hour.

(It may take 24 hours for this new video to show up in customers' Annual subscription package)
Erik Kaffehr

Ligament

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:48:50 pm »

What is the deal with his name, Ctein? Is that a traditional name in some culture or something he made up being in California?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:33 pm »

Ctein, a 'nom de la technologie' adopted during university years - there is of course a story, but one best told by the man himself  ;D

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 06:39:31 pm »

You guys are killing me.  OK!  OK! I'll subscribe!

GeraldB

• Gerald Bloch Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:37:36 pm »

I just subscribed but the Ctein interview is not available. Am I just too early and you are going to add it later?

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »

I bought the video, since I'm always interested in whatever Ctein has to say, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the proprietary player.  Surely this is a niche enough market and topic that you're not losing a subtantial amount of revenue (if any) to piracy and have to go all DRM on your users to protect it. I mean, seriously, go into any torrent search engine and see if you can find a single torrent of any LULA release, I really doubt it.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:42:55 pm »

It is available now as part of your subscription.

Couple of things: use the 'Photographers & Interviews' filter to get to it - but it is at the bottom of the list after 20 VJs and the Rørseltt interview; also, in the maligned Luminous Landscape Player app, use the gear icon at top right to 'refresh owned products'

If it is still not visible, please use the help system to get the Purple People to get it for you...

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:53 pm »

...I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the proprietary player.  Surely this is a niche enough market and topic that you're not losing a subtantial amount of revenue (if any) to piracy and have to go all DRM on your users to protect it.

Sorry you hate it so much. DRM has very little to do with it. A streaming/download solution with minimal administrative hassle has more to do with it.

Chris

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 12:27:42 am »

maybe i'm being a bit dense here:

*I click the link - and am presented with a page whose center column scrolls down, to reveal that i need to select the next page, then the next  - basically finding the newest video at the bottom (!)
*I get you can filter, but why not provide a link that does that to begin with?  Surely purple supports that?
*The purple interface is clearly mobile friendly (unlike the site), but why am I being to asked to provide yet another logon/pwd ?  *
*I trust LULA and expect you to push my LULA credentials to purple ( I trust you to do that securely)
*I trust LULA and expect LULA to act as payment processor
*I get the fact that purple is delivering content - but I'm unwilling to open a "purple" account to receive it (that should be your job)

Although not my main job, I develop CMS sites that easily perform all of the above, all of which have passed PCI audits - the largest including 26,000 accounts with online downloads (to be fair NOT videos, and no form of DRM).  The point I raise is that it is perfectly possible to perform ecommerce within the context of a single site identity....

For me, any form of "streaming only" content delivery is unacceptable, i need to "download once" to my chosen device.

*i'm one of the adobe victims, receiving the notice that my account was possibly compromised.  I've CLOSED that account, which actually took a 6.5 hour phone call to indeed verify that my previous credentials no longer work - thus losing access to ALL my previous online benefits including download/license info since CS3/LR1 ......  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:26:45 am by John.Murray »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 04:31:59 am »

Sorry you hate it so much. DRM has very little to do with it. A streaming/download solution with minimal administrative hassle has more to do with it.

Chris
Hello Chris.
How aggravating.
Unfortunately it means hassles for the user. Here I agree with AFairly. Another piece of software to install just to watch an mp4 file seems a poor idea. I would never subscribe to a streaming-only delivery due to bandwidth issues here. You pay twice, once to the seller and again to the internet host. Had I known LuLa had changed their system, I would have thought twice about purchasing.
As this is not about DRM or control of content, you won't mind my telling folks that if they play it in Firefox, then both DownloadHelper and DownloadThemAll will save the file to the desktop.
David

Splendid video BTW

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 06:11:09 am »

Clearly I need to emphasise - again  ::) - that there are two methods of viewing a video:

Yes, you can stream it 

and, you can also download it.

In the Luminous Landscape app, click on the video icon and select Add to Download queue. The file will be downloaded for viewing any time.

This is NOT a streaming only system

mrcmrc

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:11:35 am »

I bought the video, since I'm always interested in whatever Ctein has to say, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the proprietary player.  Surely this is a niche enough market and topic that you're not losing a subtantial amount of revenue (if any) to piracy and have to go all DRM on your users to protect it. I mean, seriously, go into any torrent search engine and see if you can find a single torrent of any LULA release, I really doubt it.

Agree. Fortunately I haven't subscribed to the annual subscription but only purchased Ctein video.
I really wish to have the freedom - as in the past - to download the videos (any format).
Sad.

- Marco.

athegn

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:28 am »

I purchased "Ctein" video and got it working on my Win 7 pc.

However tonight I shall be away from home for a while and will have an hour or two on my own. What better way to fill the time than viewing "Ctein"

So copied the two files "tll_convo_ctein_1.mov" and "tll_convo_ctein_chapters" to the 64GB external disk on my Galaxy Tab 2 and added the Purple:Player app.

But cannot see how to get the mov to play in the app.

Any ideas please

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 11:28:13 am »

Check here

athegn

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:41 am »

I reread the Purple:player advice on how to get files from pc to Andriod but that would not work. So I used ES File Explorer and copied the two files to the sdCard > PurplePlayer folder on the tablet.

In the PurplePlayer libray "Ctein" icon is shown with a green tick so should work. I press on icon I am told loading; the play screen then opens but shows nothing other than the heading "Conversation with Ctein" for a short while. If I use the top right Menu button a dialog with "Conversation with Ctein and Cancel appears; suggesting that something is playing??

Chris:Whilst typing this your message appeared. I have read that where I got the advice to tyransfer files to Andriod; the method that did not work for me!!!

I aany have to download a "mov" app to get me through tonight and tackle this tomorrow?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 04:20:16 pm »

Hello Chris.
This software is not at all intuitive. I don't know why you are using it. I may not be the brightest lamp on the Christmas tree but I shouldn't have to spend so much time trying to figure out how to buy a video.
I can't see from the LuLa website how to access the content. So I went to the Purple email and clicked on the "access your content" link and it sent me to the "Where would you like to watch your content?" page. Dead end.
The Luminous Landscape app. What's that? Where do I find it? Never saw any link for direct downloading.
I am wary of third party video players after using the BBC's Real player and finding it was trying to report back data. How secure is my email address? What else is it doing? Call it paranoia if you like.
David

Clearly I need to emphasise - again  ::) - that there are two methods of viewing a video:

Yes, you can stream it 

and, you can also download it.

In the Luminous Landscape app, click on the video icon and select Add to Download queue. The file will be downloaded for viewing any time.

This is NOT a streaming only system

AFairley

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:09:44 pm »

Sorry, Chris, but what LL app? 

And just to continue with my consumer complaint, I really don't want to have to add yet another app to my iPad or application to my desktop just to view or download LuLa content, which is maybe a once or twice a year occasion.  I've already got way too much stuff on my device/pc start with.  I really wish you had consulted your user base a little more thoroughly before you implemented the new system.  Maybe you did and I just missed it. 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:17:10 pm »

Sorry, Chris, but what LL app? 
Check the receipt that you were sent. In it are all the links necessary to download the app and then your videos.

See my posts towards the end this thread
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up