Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Not worth it ?  (Read 30733 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Not worth it ?
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 11:15:25 am »

Time to bring in the car analogy :-)

A Honda Civic today has everything you need in a car - bluetooth, navigation, power everything, great fuel economy and on city streets and even the   speed regulated highways of New York,  enough power to hold its own against a real 'sports car'.

And yet, those who can afford the gas-guzzling, high maintenance luxury of a $100K SL500 or an M5 will not hesitate to buy one. Does it offer them FIVE times the speed, comfort, or utility of the Civic? Of course not. The person buying such a car simply wants the best that (his) money can buy.
Not quite. Cars are also very important status symbols - to the majority of folks. Which car will vary with kind the people you want to impress.
You're unlikely to impress anyone with a MFDB. Photo nerds excepted.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 11:34:44 am »

Toyota RAV 4 here...

Erik

Not quite. Cars are also very important status symbols - to the majority of folks. Which car will vary with kind the people you want to impress.
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 12:15:55 pm »

Okay, Erik, you don't want to impress.

Neither do I. Anymore. I have a black Ford Fiesta. But for myself, and the self-satisfaction in the event that I ever do any long trips again, I bought the coupe with the biggest diesel, the 1.6 litre. I can get around 720 klicks in a single filling for normal town use, and probably much more for long drives. Great torque lets me overtake on motorways without thinking twice. Unfortunately, my eyes now make me think a hundred times instead, so I tend not to do much of that anymore either.

Carpe diem.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:23 pm »

You can have the best of both worlds by mounting an IQ180 back on a Lomo or even better Diana.
Edmund

Maybe this? This camera makes art of nothing. I just have to push the shutter from time to time. Don't even need film. Running around with it makes me an artist already ...

Primus

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »

Sorry, must disagree.

Cars may be important status symbols, but nobody (no sensible person at least) would take money away from important things in life to buy a luxury/sports car. It is only if you first have the money that you do so.

Everything depends upon where your priorities lie and how much 'discretionary' income you have. Even multi-millionaires would not buy an MFDB if they weren't passionate about photography to begin with. OTOH there are people like myself who need to shift priorities from other non-essentials in life to be able to indulge in our passions. It also helps to have a spouse who is 'understanding' :-)

In the end it IS about money and what you do with it, whether you spend it on a high-end camera or that vacation to Hawaii.

And yes, I agree, cameras are not bought to impress people. I cringe every time somebody comes up and says 'that must be an expensive camera'. I am constantly underplaying the amount I spend on photography. Strange, but people may not pay too much attention to your car, but if you have a very expensive camera, then suddenly you become 'super rich' in their eyes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:08:43 pm by Primus »

MrSmith

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 01:04:04 pm »

Sorry, must disagree.

Cars may be important status symbols, but nobody (no sensible person at least) would take money away from important things in life to buy a luxury/sports car. It is only if you first have the money that you do so.

i see plenty of people on the national average wage or less driving around in cars that cost more than a years salary and paid for on the never-never. yet they are likely to have not enough savings so they could live for a couple of months if they lost their job or an unforeseen 'live event' should happen.

cars are rubbish analogy for cameras, it's better to use actual cameras  :)

jjj

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »

Sorry, must disagree.

Everything depends upon where your priorities lie and how much 'discretionary' income you have.
First mistake - assuming people are sensible.
Second Mistake - that people spend within their means.
 ;D

Primus

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »

i see plenty of people on the national average wage or less driving around in cars that cost more than a years salary and paid for on the never-never. yet they are likely to have not enough savings so they could live for a couple of months if they lost their job or an unforeseen 'live event' should happen.

cars are rubbish analogy for cameras, it's better to use actual cameras  :)

There are always exceptions but I really doubt these people could have gotten loans to buy $100K plus cars in today's climate. But sometimes people DO live beyond their means. Those that I see driving around in such cars have the money and more.

How do you know some people do not buy high-end cameras similarly :)

Primus

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

First mistake - assuming people are sensible.
Second Mistake - that people spend within their means.
 ;D

Agree completely. Guilty as charged.  ;D

jjj

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:09 pm »

There are always exceptions but I really doubt these people could have gotten loans to buy $100K plus cars in today's climate. But sometimes people DO live beyond their means. Those that I see driving around in such cars have the money and more.
A friend who used to do AV and sound installations said there were many people in Sheffield who got such cars on the never never. Not only that there are several large families who regularly start up new businesses, rack up huge debts to various suppliers [he was one] and then walk away stiffing everyone. The various family members take turns to front these enterprises. Not really sure what the scam is.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »

I can't remember the last wedding I was at where at least one person didn't comment about my camera.

I can also definitively say that a significant percentage of my referrals from weddings (to shoot some other wedding) were from people I met at weddings when they asked about my camera. Is it because they were impressed by my camera and thought it made a statement about the quality? Or is it because they remember me because they had a conversation with me and liked me as a person (the fact the conversation was about a camera being unimportant)? Or maybe because they were curious about the camera enough to disproportionately remember to look at the images I shot weeks later when I posted them? I cannot say; probably some combination. But it works for me.

It's not why I shoot MFD at a wedding, but it is a nice side effect.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »

It's not why I shoot MFD at a wedding, but it is a nice side effect.

Maybe the commercially most important effect of the camera in that context? A personal PR device? ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:39 pm »

I can't remember the last wedding I was at where at least one person didn't comment about my camera.

Breast enhancement might have the same effect :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2013, 01:50:56 pm »

Breast enhancement might have the same effect :)

I'm working on that one beer at a time.

jjj

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2013, 02:17:46 pm »

Ha, ha!

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 02:22:31 pm »

Maybe using an 8x10" Box with a hidden DSLR inside would be the cheapest concerning sufficient image quality and awesome PR factor in one device ....

jjj

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

I get people talking about my kit too and it's not MF. It's simply what people use as an icebreaker to interact when they want to talk to the photographer.

jjj

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:35 pm »

Maybe using an 8x10" Box with a hidden DSLR inside would be the cheapest concerning sufficient image quality and awesome PR factor in one device ....
A friend went to a 1930's theme party some years back and had a typical 5x4 press camera as a prop. But inside he put a 35mm Olympus OM camera and rigged up to a flash on the big camera, so it all worked.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:35 pm »

Every time I use my Fuji X-E1, people comment about my camera, too. In that sense it might be a far more cost effective PR instrument  ;)

Of course, I doubt anyone has ever hired me because of it. So there.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »

Every time I use my Fuji X-E1, people comment about my camera, too. In that sense it might be a far more cost effective PR instrument  ;)

Of course, I doubt anyone has ever hired me because of it. So there.

Just glue a red dot on it ...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up