Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polarising filter for canon 24-70  (Read 2259 times)

mollycusack

Polarising filter for canon 24-70
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:07 am »

Hi everyone

I'm having difficulty shooting events outside in sunlight, like weddings etc. it's often too bright too many shadow too much contrast. 

I'm looking at getting a polarising filter but what one would I need for a canon lens 24 to 70?

Any tips, help or suggestions would be much appreciated thank you.

-Molly

Rob C

Re: Polarising filter for canon 24-70
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:36:31 am »

I don't quite grasp why a filter might be your route to salvation, Molly;  a flash or assistant with a reflector would probably be a better aid.

Rob C

mollycusack

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:42:42 am »

Well wouldn't a filter cut out the light? And be good for shooting relfections like glass/water.
I sometimes am not in the situation to have an assistant and a flash in day light doesn't coincide with my photographic style.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:04 am »

I'm looking at getting a polarising filter but what one would I need for a canon lens 24 to 70?

A standard thickness 82mm B&W polarizing filter works without vignetting on the Canon 24-70 II. It won't help with the contrast but will help with reflections. I'm afraid fill flash or a reflector are the only things that will help you with the contrast issue.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:02:21 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:18 am »

Well wouldn't a filter cut out the light? And be good for shooting relfections like glass/water.

A polarizing filter will reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor, and it may cut some reflections. It won't reduce the contrast range of a typical outdoor event scene. That can be done only by actually reducing the contrast range by opening the shadows somehow -- fill flash is most commonly used for this, but large reflectors can work too.

I do feel your pain on shooting these events....
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:55 am »

I sometimes am not in the situation to have an assistant and a flash in day light doesn't coincide with my photographic style.

Molly, others have answered your question about why a pola filter won't help contrast and so no point my repeating it; regarding your 'photographic style', you just have to expand it to suit the challenges or avoid specific ones such as weddings. I would suggest the latter. Leave no-repeats situations to people who specialize in the discipline - it's the fairest, sweetest thing you can do for the bridal couple.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up