Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: We Make the Path by Walking  (Read 40993 times)

Isaac

Re: We Make the Path by Walking
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 01:10:41 pm »

Good! That's one reason I posted the link. The other reason was to see the negative comments ;-)

Isaac

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:17 am »

Overdone HDR

"I've never used HDR and to be honest I wouldn't even know how. I'm not a particularly technical photographer and I do very little post production. I use one camera, one lens and I just get out and do it..."

Paul Gaffney

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:56 am »

That's interesting, but it doesn't change the way it looks.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Isaac

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »

It's simply confirmation that your summary judgement has no merit.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »

It's simply confirmation that your summary judgement has no merit.

It has to him.

If Russ thinks it looks like HDR to him, then it looks like HDR to him.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2013, 04:57:57 pm »

If Russ thinks it looks like HDR to him, then it looks like HDR to him.
It still makes him wrong though.

Looking at the image in question I can't see why anyone would think it's HDR, let alone 'overdone'.
A rather nice photo IMHO. I always think there's far too much emphasis on gaudy 'golden hour' shots that bare little resemblance to how most people experience the landscape.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »

If you "experience the landscape" bare, watch out for cops.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jasonchickerson

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:34 pm »

I'm late to the party but I think some of these are quite nice and a nice departure from the standard cabin in front of distant mountains.

Digital Finger

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 05:34:15 am »

RSL appears to have a very different understanding to everyone else of what HDR is.

http://www.paulgaffneyphotography.com/We-Make-the-Path-by-Walking

I find that first image interesting, now that I have looked at it far longer than I would had there not been this discussion about it, and find that after looking for more than a little while it changes ( not unlike those 3D scrambled images do) so that now I see (almost) a line down the middle, well just left of the middle, which makes it look like two images taken in very similar light stitched together, and that makes it interesting, to me.

I don't think that trompe-l'oeil was the photographer's intention or perhaps it might be, if only we were able to converse with him about this.

However if we read that last page of that series (Tip: you don't have to actually click on the little arrows, just on the image, and it will go to the next in sequence, it's a technique borrowed from computer games and quite common now on ordinary websites - an useful technique to know as many sites use this device :p ) Paul explains his thinking behind these images, or non-thinking, if he attained the state he aspired to.

He says he wants to 'communicate a sense of the subtle internal and psychological changes...." Note the word 'subtle'. So I would have thought that the use of HDR would be somewhat perverse and unlikely in the extreme.

His goals , it seems to me, are not dissimilar to those of a high proportion of 'contemplative' photographers, and whether he succeeds here or not will depend very much on the eye of the beholder.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:35:52 am by Digital Finger »

elliot_n

Isaac

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »

…if only we were able to converse with him about this.

He was kind enough to respond to my email, after a while.

David Jilek

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2014, 10:06:35 am »

I see the first image as one of decision. If we internalize the image and look beyond the literal landscape and be still the image really comes to life. it is the presence of tire tracks and walking paths. The proof that someone tried to drive up the walking path but stopped and then continued down the usual road. The image begs the question...What path would you take? Travel down the same easy path or choose your own intimate path.
  This image reminds me of Robert Frosts "The Road not Taken". It has a quality that is complex yet seemingly simple.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 10:31:26 am »

I see the first image as one of decision. If we internalize the image and look beyond the literal landscape and be still the image really comes to life. it is the presence of tire tracks and walking paths. The proof that someone tried to drive up the walking path but stopped and then continued down the usual road. The image begs the question...What path would you take? Travel down the same easy path or choose your own intimate path.
  This image reminds me of Robert Frosts "The Road not Taken". It has a quality that is complex yet seemingly simple.

I agree. Too many dismiss images because it's is not a way they would interpret the subject. This is the point, an individuals vision.

Peter

250swb

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 07:23:08 am »

I'm late to the party but I think some of these are quite nice and a nice departure from the standard cabin in front of distant mountains.

After wading through this thread myself for the first time, and taking the trouble to check out peoples web links by way of clarifying their views, I think your comment is pretty much spot on and made me laugh as well.

And it highlight's what it seems this thread has evolved into, a discussion by photographers who's perfect picture is a barn and blue sky, and those who like some intellectual meat to their photography. And my point is made by using the words 'picture' and 'photography' to separate the two schools.

Steve

Peter_DL

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2014, 03:19:26 pm »

'Overdone HDR', according to Google.

In some way I like it as an abstract style.

However if we read that last page of that series ... Paul explains his thinking behind these images, or non-thinking, if he attained the state he aspired to.

I got caught by the final comment as well - inspiring - not so much supported by the actual photos
(just one click on the arrow left from the starting image).

Peter

--

Isaac

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2014, 05:29:26 pm »

iirc seems like more images are shown now.

elliot_n

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2014, 08:32:19 pm »

I like his work, but others have walked this path before him - Bustamante, Sternfeld etc...

Isaac

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2014, 11:52:42 am »

… but others have walked this path before him…

I'm tempted to quote Ecclesiastes but this seems more likely to open up discussion -

"Think it's all been done before? No one has done
 this in your unique voice, at this time, in this
 context. Be authentic and do it anyway."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2014, 11:11:52 am »

These images remind me of Ansel's comment about sharp pictures of fuzzy concepts. For me, most of them have very little value. 

But then, that's what I think of Jeff Wall's work, too.  And many $$$ disagree with me on that point.

Isaac

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »

Jeff Wall's work

I suppose I didn't look and didn't question when I first saw reproductions of Jeff Wall's photos -- I gave up without realizing the implausibility, silly me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up