Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Somewhere near Caineville, Ut  (Read 8041 times)

Lonnie Utah

Somewhere near Caineville, Ut
« on: November 12, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »

I don't normally landscape during the day, but sometimes, you just have to.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Somewhere near Caineville, Ut
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:00:45 pm »

Glad you did, Lonnie!

That's nice and feels comfortable from a favorite place.

Well done!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:46:58 pm »

Ditto +1
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:44 pm »

That is freaking beautiful !!
 Print it and frame it!
David

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »

Wow, that is a seriously beautiful view!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:17 am »

Interesting juxtaposition of colours!  Well seen!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:54:58 am »

When you have such a beautiful place and colours, even during the day the photos are interesting.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:32:07 pm »

When you have such a beautiful place and colours, even during the day the photos are interesting.
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »

Really like the colors very much.

Blue and yellow work well together and with the quasi B/W of the rest of the photo.

Thierry

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »

Thanks everyone. I really was just out for a drive and stumbled across this scene.  If you've never been to this particular part of the world, it can be a pretty stark landscape.

Caineville Badlands

FWIW, the exif data is intact for those that are interested.  

Date Time Original: 2013-10-26 13:16:19
Exposure Time: 1/30
F Number: f/13
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings: 200
Metering Mode: CenterWeightedAverage
Focal Length: 105mm
Make   SONY
Model   DSLR-A900

I was also using a polarizer to "darken" the sky and highlight the foliage.

I also cropped it from a 3:2 to a 2:1 aspect ratio (cutting out some negative space created by an empty sky).

Blue and yellow work well together

That's the only way I think this works during "midday". These shades of yellow and blue are complimentary to each other on the color wheel, and as a result, I think it must create a very pleasing effect for our eyes/brain.

Personally, I also like how there are basically layers of parallel lines that run thru the photo (from the trees, to the mesas, to the clouds.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:32:14 pm by Lonnie Utah »

batmura

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »

Great work!

churly

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:28:04 pm »

Very nice scene and colors.  I would suggest that it is a bit underexposed.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 06:35:43 pm »

I would suggest that it is a bit underexposed.

Here's the histogram if you're curious. If it's underexposed, it's not by very much.... 

batmura

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43:21 pm »

Lonnie, did you selectively brighten the trees in the foreground? How did you edit this image?

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:51:28 pm »

Lonnie, did you selectively brighten the trees in the foreground? How did you edit this image?

Honestly, without going back and reopening the raw file in ACR, I couldn't tell you the exact process. I think I spent about 5 mins on the edits. My work flow is generally pretty minimal.   99.9% of the time everything is on one layer is CS5. I'm pretty sure that I used the adjustment brushes in ACR to make minor tweets in Contrast/Exp/Sharpness/Saturation to various parts of the image (and I'm sure that there was a brush for the foreground trees), but until I have time to sit down and look at what I actucally did, unfortunately, I can't provide any specifics.   I normally don't do anything too radical. I'll update as soon as I get a chance.

churly

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:51 pm »

Here's the histogram if you're curious. If it's underexposed, it's not by very much....  

I don't  normally get involved in this type of discussion because I expect that you presented the image the way you want it and I respect that.  But in the spirit of my learning something - what I see in the histogram (I assume that this is a luminosity histogram) is that a majority of the pixels are in the lower half of the histogram.  The colors histogram show that the blue and red channels have a large number of pixels pushed up against the left side of the histogram.  Of course the histograms are image dependent and don't mean much out of context but in this fully lit daylight image, having a majority of the pixels in the darker tones seems odd and the background seems flat (underexposed).  In this case brightening or an inverse S curves modification provides a  believable (again IMO) image.  I have take the liberty below just to demonstrate what I mean.[

Cheers,
Chuck

Removed as requested.  Apologies fot attempting to illustrate my point and engage you in meaningful discussion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:01:13 am by churly »
Chuck Hurich

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »

I don't  normally get involved in this type of discussion because I expect that you presented the image the way you want it and I respect that.  But in the spirit of my learning something - what I see in the histogram (I assume that this is a luminosity histogram) is that a majority of the pixels are in the lower half of the histogram.  The colors histogram show that the blue and red channels have a large number of pixels pushed up against the left side of the histogram.  Of course the histograms are image dependent and don't mean much out of context but in this fully lit daylight image, having a majority of the pixels in the darker tones seems odd and the background seems flat (underexposed).  In this case brightening or an inverse S curves modification provides a more believable (again IMO) image.  I have take the liberty below just to demonstrate what I mean.
Cheers,
Chuck

Yes, and it's very, very, very bad form to edit someones image without their permission. IF you truly respected my image, they would not have "taken the liberty to modify it".  I'm going to say this one time nicely. Please delete the modified version of MY image. I'm sorry you don't like the way I processed it, but in the end, it's the way I want to present it. If you'd like to present something differently, then you're more than welcome to travel to that location, capture the image and process it any way you please.

Yes, you've very much touched a never with me, not in the comments, but it altering MY art. And yes, I feel that altering and re-posting my work IS copyright infringement.

From the forum registration agreement.

You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material

I would say, that you didn't get written consent from the copyright owner (me) to edit and post this.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:37:10 pm by Lonnie Utah »

sierraman

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 10:41:58 pm »

I don't normally landscape during the day, but sometimes, you just have to.

I don't think it's underexposed to the point of needing any adjustment. Getting the perfect amount of exposure is tough when you have bright daylight conditions. +1  :)

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:13 am »

Removed as requested.  Apologies fot attempting to illustrate my point and engage you in meaningful discussion.

Chuck,

It has ZERO to do with engaging me in meaningful discussion, I do that all the time. Forgive me for taking offense with you modifying my images. I'm very protective of my work and not without good reason. For someone that puts their pieces up for sale, having someone, who's skill level is unknown to the world modify the pieces devalues not only that piece, but the entire collection as a whole. You're dang lucky I just sent a polite request to just delete the image and not a bill for a one time bill for worldwide online display.

Now as for the ethics of modifying someone's image without permission, would you engage someone over the virtues of a Picasso or a Monet or a Rembrandt? Yes. How about Galen Rolen print or a Ansel Adams or a Fatali? Yes. Would modify ANY of these pictures to try to make them better? Not in 1,000,000 years. You wouldn't because you can't begin to assume what the artist was trying to visualize when they created the final image. While my skill level isn't even in the same ball park as the folks I mentioned above, the ethos is identical. It's pretty dang arrogant for someone other than the original artist to assume that they can improve upon what was presented. Had I wanted your help I would have ASKED for your help. When you said "I think it's underexposed", did I say, "Would you fix it for me?" No. I provided a pretty balanced histogram that indicated a reasonable exposure for the conditions presented.

To be continued....

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 09:30:28 am »

I think we should differentiate between the user critiques forum and this place here.
I'd generally agree to take "permission to edit" not for granted here but I also am not entirely sure if a post of an edited low res version in the same thread than the low res original would not fall under "fair use".
Usually we all learn something from it.
Nice color contrast by the way ... :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up