Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone gotten their Zeiss 55 yet?  (Read 11695 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Has anyone gotten their Zeiss 55 yet?
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:51 am »

Hi,

I don't know. The way I see it Canon is the market leader. They may loose a couple of customers to Nikon but marque loyalty is in general strong. I don't think it is about resolution only, most of the Nikons also use sensors of more advanced design allowing better DR. It may depend on fabrication capability (50 nm rules). Canon is said to building a fab with 18nm capability and that may bring new sensors with it.

The difference between 20+ and 36 MP may be hard to see in real prints. Computer screens are about 2MP, by the way.

Best regards
Erik

Sorry, I must have phrased that in such a way to make you think I am challenging the "fairness". In truth I was just pointing out that it's difficult for Canonites (with my knowledge base, perhaps I'll figure out what Eric alluded to that Canon results can be inferred from the Nikon data) to say much about Canon lenses on DXO.

But since we're talking... if Canon came out with a 35-50 MP sensor and wrapped a good body or two around it depending upon anticipated use (say a 1Dx and 5DIII or 6D body), would it generate many converts from Nikon?

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 09:22:24 am »

But since we're talking... if Canon came out with a 35-50 MP sensor and wrapped a good body or two around it depending upon anticipated use (say a 1Dx and 5DIII or 6D body), would it generate many converts from Nikon?

I believe that many Nikon shooters like myself only care about the cost/performance of their equipment, not the least bit the logo on the body.

Considering that my F mount lenses (Nikon, Sigma, Zeiss and Leica) would be mountable on such a Canon high pixel camera with superior DR (nobody would care for 45mp at 12 stops DR), I wouldn't have to "convert", just to buy this new wonder body.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:34 am »

Hi,

It is not just MP and DR. What about excellent live view, usable LCD, touch screen focusing, great battery life, excellent lenses, decent firmware? I may think that matters a lot.

My dream kit right now? Hartblei HCam with some Canon TS-lenses and P45+. But, it could be a Sony  A7r with Canon TS and a Sigma 24-105/4 zoom. Or something else. We are going to find out.

Best regards
Erik

I believe that many Nikon shooters like myself only care about the cost/performance of their equipment, not the least bit the logo on the body.

Considering that my F mount lenses (Nikon, Sigma, Zeiss and Leica) would be mountable on such a Canon high pixel camera with superior DR (nobody would care for 45mp at 12 stops DR), I wouldn't have to "convert", just to buy this new wonder body.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 05:50:38 pm »

It is not just MP and DR. What about excellent live view, usable LCD, touch screen focusing, great battery life, excellent lenses, decent firmware? I may think that matters a lo.

Yes, to some extend, but Canon and Nikon have been doing that for years, it is taken for granted.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »

Hi,

For me a well working live view implementation is sort of the natural solution to most problems. Using the sensor for focusing. Technical cameras would make even more sense with LV.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, to some extend, but Canon and Nikon have been doing that for years, it is taken for granted.

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2013, 04:43:04 pm »

For me a well working live view implementation is sort of the natural solution to most problems. Using the sensor for focusing. Technical cameras would make even more sense with LV.

Yep, live view is mandatory for critical and reliable focusing.

Cheers,
Bernard

stevesanacore

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »

Coming from a 4x5 camera background for many years, I've always missed the ability in 35mm bodies to have a universal mount which can use any lens. At the moment I'm shooting both Canon and Nikon. Rather than switch again from one to the other, I'm using one or the other depending on what I am shooting. The new Sony may be the best solution of all if all brand lenses can be adapted. I hope that is the case so we can buy lenses based on performance rather than brand. Motion picture cameras have had a universal PL mount for years now. Too bad still cameras didn't go the same route. I understand that a PL mount doesn't support AF or aperture but that could have been standardized too if they wanted it.
We don't know what we don't know.

MarkL

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 04:57:12 pm »

Coming from a 4x5 camera background for many years, I've always missed the ability in 35mm bodies to have a universal mount which can use any lens. At the moment I'm shooting both Canon and Nikon. Rather than switch again from one to the other, I'm using one or the other depending on what I am shooting. The new Sony may be the best solution of all if all brand lenses can be adapted. I hope that is the case so we can buy lenses based on performance rather than brand. Motion picture cameras have had a universal PL mount for years now. Too bad still cameras didn't go the same route. I understand that a PL mount doesn't support AF or aperture but that could have been standardized too if they wanted it.

Not perfect but sigma is starting a 'mount swap' service between canon, nikon and sony. The new lenses like the 35 and 180 are pretty impressive too.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 04:09:50 am »

Hi,

Sony is rumored to come out with a "hybrid mount" next year, this was shown behind glass at the NAB show:

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up