Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question: Sigma DP1M and DP3M on par with DP2M?  (Read 7005 times)

MrSmith27

Quick question: Sigma DP1M and DP3M on par with DP2M?
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:17:41 pm »

Hi,

I own a DP2M and am very happy withe the image quality. Could I simply buy a 1 and 3 as well and have the same amazing performance or are there differences? I'm very picky with resolution and the DP2M is pretty much the only easily transportable camera that I like.  Disclaimer: Sure, i've read through the specs and sure there are quite a few discussions but I'd like to hear from you guys here.

Thanks

xpatUSA

• Blog
Re: Quick question: Sigma DP1M and DP3M on par with DP2M?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 12:12:33 am »

Hi,

Probably best to ask the question here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1027

Lots of DP*M owners there . . .

best regards,

Ted

capital

• Website
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:25:06 am »

Could I simply buy a 1 and 3 as well and have the same amazing performance or are there differences? I'm very picky with resolution and the DP2M is pretty much the only easily transportable camera that I like. 

No comment on DP1 as I have no experience with it, however the DP3 Merrill is as good as the DP2 Merrill in the corners, though in my experience is that I found some QC sample variation. So make sure you can test out for exchange if there is a problem. You can always rent if you aren't sure. The one issue I have with a DP2 and DP3 is basically you only get about 2x focal length difference, would have been nice if Sigma also came out with a DP4 Merrill with about a 100 to 130mm F/2.8 field of view. Who knows, they may break their promise and release a DP mirrorless camera.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:46:04 pm »

DP3M and DP2M are equally good. I understand that the DP1M lens is quite good, but not as stellar as the DP2M and DP3M lenses. Addicting little cameras, aren't they? I have DP2M and DP3M, considering getting the DP1M.

billh

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:05:45 am »

I have the same two DPs Nancy,and yes, they are very addicting! I find myself using them almost exclusively, except when I am photographing action. The DP3M is also a macro camera, which adds a dimension to it.

It is interesting to see the price has been lowered in Europe. I’d love to know if new models are on the horizon.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:46 am »

On the DP line, I found the DP3m the most useful camera to use because of his versatility. For landscapes I stitch and for all the rest I'm happy. Personally, the DP3m buried the DP1 and DP2. It is a very good camera.

For the prices drop in Europe, I can't say yet why, but SIGMA usually do this... It's not really fair for the ones who bought a DP or a SD 3 weeks ago but it is not uncommon. So, maybe new things on the horizon by the spring ;) or not; probably just a price drop :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:13:25 pm »

Yes, I am afraid that I have become a fangirl for Sigma Foveon. The DP2M or DP3M gets taken along on hikes, along with the 3# tripod-head-"nodal slide" - perfect set-up for travelling light.

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:32:50 am »

Hello,
I have a DP1 only.  It is an excellent camera with staggering IQ.  Obviously, I can't compare it with the other two.  I haven't done any lab tests, just shooting in the field with amazing results.

Brian

slowframe

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:38:26 am »

That's an interesting question. Like Hulyss, I find myself using the DP3M more often than the DP2M, due to the focal length. I think the cameras are certainly equals in terms of level of quality in output. I do think that there are subtle differences in rendering, but I find them hard to describe.

That's probably not very useful, but the short answer is that if you like the DP2M, and you'd like to have a 75mm camera, then it's quite probably that you'll also like the DP3M.

palpman

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:56 pm »

I also think the DP3M is the best of all, in terms of sharpness and the colors are more accurate. The rendering is just better. I think the lens is just amazing, but a sensor tweak might also be an explanation for the better quality.

allegretto

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:24 am »

pretty much agree on the above comments on the 2 & 3. I have those two, but since I have an RX-1 I passed on the 1

BTW, what a portable, powerful combination. Still have very fast ISO, especially for low-light/indoors and an easy to use camera for noobs to take pics with me in them. And RX images, while not a Foveon, are still very very pleasing. Just lack the definition.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:57 am »

How do you sharpen?

The RX1 has aliasing filter, so it's need sharpening, I used deconvolution type sharpening in Lightroom and that really helps.

Best regards
Erik

pretty much agree on the above comments on the 2 & 3. I have those two, but since I have an RX-1 I passed on the 1

BTW, what a portable, powerful combination. Still have very fast ISO, especially for low-light/indoors and an easy to use camera for noobs to take pics with me in them. And RX images, while not a Foveon, are still very very pleasing. Just lack the definition.
Erik Kaffehr

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

have to admit I don't have a set sharpening. To my eye, different compositions need different settings, so I tweak them in real time. This is inefficient however and I do appreciate a "starting point". Are these your stock settings? If so, thank you, going to try them...!

How do you sharpen?

The RX1 has aliasing filter, so it's need sharpening, I used deconvolution type sharpening in Lightroom and that really helps.

Best regards
Erik

Tiger1

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:57:49 pm »

I have found the sharpening and processing of RAW images from the RX1 using DXO gets more detail out than Lightroom.  This is not the case with some of my other cameras. I am planning to get the DP3m as well and carry the two around for travelling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up