Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre  (Read 1369 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre
« on: November 06, 2013, 09:17:46 am »

Hi guys

I've 2 new projects I'm working on. This urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre was taken just before sunrise. It is part of a new project consisting of a photos of Dublin city centre at or before sunrise. The images are all but void of people in order to create a surreal ambiance at locations used to been occupied by the human population. My aim is to make quite dynamic structured shots of unorthodox locations so that the images are all about the structures rather than typical Dublin photos. You can click here to view it in a larger size here.

All comments about the watermark will be ignored!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:51:17 pm by Enda Cavanagh »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Urban landscape photo of Dublin city centre
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

The watermark is so unobtrusive that it would be easy to remove, but the main thing is that it doesn't ruin the picture. Had it done so, surely it would be better to listen rather than ignore comments?

I'm not sure I see any surreal ambience, more a scene that is unusually empty - as if it's deliberately devoid of something one imagines should be in the foreground. Graphically there's a lot going on, with all sorts of angles and clinical detail in even the darkest corner. Is there too much happening? Is the left hand 10% that "too much"?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:58:27 pm by johnbeardy »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »

I like it. It engages the same way as your recent woodland image.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »

PS Hyperreal might be more appropriate than surreal.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:35:30 pm »

Is there too much happening? Is the left hand 10% that "too much"?

The blockwork wall on the left hand side with the street sign is needed to counteract the dominant diagonal of the railway bridge. Ditto for the wall on the right. So I wouldn't remove that. I located myself just to include the whole sign to give the image relevance to people interested in where the image was shot. The light levels of the alleyway to the left were about the same as where I stood because of the number of lights. The sunrise was about 45 minutes away. I suppose you need to see it in a large size to get it more. Love the avatar JD  :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:40 pm »

You can almost imagine a late 70s band being photographed in such a location, though it wouldn't look as clean (or grainless).

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 03:51:10 am »

Very dynamic image, with many leading lines. However, for someone not familiar with the area, there is not enough meaning to the photo. As a project, why not work in pairs of photos, one "normal", i.e. with people included, the other like this one, taken at start/end of day?

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:32:01 am »

Very dynamic image, with many leading lines. However, for someone not familiar with the area, there is not enough meaning to the photo. As a project, why not work in pairs of photos, one "normal", i.e. with people included, the other like this one, taken at start/end of day?

Hi Paulo
Thanks for your comments. I see where you're coming from with the idea of with and without people but I think that would miss the point somewhat. One of my main aims is always to illustrate beauty from the ordinary so I wanted to make it all about the structures. Your idea could be also a very interesting side note but would go a little bit off tangent from what I want. Plus also I would find it a bit more I don't know if stressful is the right word but uncomfortable when there're lots of people around plus traffic etc. Maybe claustrophobic, distracting or restrictive (or all 3). There is something very peaceful been in the city centre at a time where there is no one about bar a couple of weary eyed revealers. I would be on a completely different time zone and more often than not I'm been the one going home  :D There is a very small window of opportunity and that is around the middle of summer when sunrise is at it's earliest and only on tuesday, wednesday and thursday mornings when there are fewer natters around  :D As in the type of nutters who want to first flash their bum and than stab you in the eye.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up