Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.  (Read 77308 times)

LKaven

Re: Nikon Df. Pure photography vs. a million dials and buttons.
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2014, 11:11:00 pm »

The problem with 12MP on the D3/D700 was partly with the very aggressive AA filter.  The camera, beautiful as it was, did not roll off in the high frequencies gracefully.  This was partly due to the facts of scale as well.  12MP with AA is not quite enough to render details of hair and skin in a medium portrait.  The 24/36MP sensors, after being downsampled to 12MP, supply a level of high frequency detail that the native 12MP sensor could not.  The 16MP sensor is almost enough, but not quite. 

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2014, 05:45:26 am »

None of this answers the question, "Why did Nikon not put a film advance lever on the Df?" It would have made it properly "retro" and it could have been used as an on/off switch.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I really do wish that Nikon had decided to make their "retro" offering a mirrorless camera the same size, shape and weight as my much-loved FM2n. Then, at the right price, I would have been tempted.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2014, 07:46:06 am »

Nikon need to take a long hard look at the brace of new Sony cameras. A Nikon similar to the A7/R, would be a better camera for those of us hankering after a FM/E type replacement for the D700.

Streetshooter

« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:39 am »

This is a complex question. Albeit, there are no easy answers.

First, Nikon wanted to do something different that didn't involve placing the 16MP FX sensor in their $6k flagship into a a sub $3k DSLR. They learned better from the D700. Secondly, get over the D700. It's a has-been and the ISO capabilities are VASTLY overrated -- especially for such a LOW MP count on a FF sensor. I had one. I sold for the 5d2, which offered WAY more bang for the buck -- build quality and AF aside.

Third, Nikon obviously felt the D600/D610 has a bad rep so they had to release another form factor -- again, that was not built like the D800 with the $6k 16MP sensor. SO......they cut corners and cut features. As we all know, you get the same sensor in the Df as the flagship D4(s)....and as we all know the price will drop faster than a loaded missle. In a year, they will be available for the same price as the D600/610 IMHO. The Df may LOOK cheaply made, but I'm sure it's high quality. As far as the dials, again, they had to do SOMETHING different so that their FX lineup would not be a homogenous cluster-f#ck. I applaud them for taking a chance. Something very few companies do these days. Nintendo comes to mind in this regard.

The dials are useful for people learning photography because, frankly, it's easy to set a DSLR on P mode and let the processor do the rest. I'm guilty of it....and my knowledge of photography has been stunted because of this. The one SD card is shameful I will gladly admit, as is the AF system, for this price. But I'm sure for the right situation this DSLR will prove more than adequate given its specs. Lastly, again guys, please lay the D700 argument to rest. It's an outdated design and highly overrated. There are PLENTY on the market so go buy 2-3 if you'd like. But know that you'll never squeeze more than 12 MP out of it. Ever.

Who wants more than 12 MP anyway ?  I had a 5D 2 once and made the mistake of using it during a drizzly day. It stopped working after five minutes so I got rid of it and switched to a D700. I've had that ever since and it's been used in all weather conditions without a hiccup. An amazing camera that shoots a better file for me than the Canon ever did. I'm pleased they have come down in price, I'll buy a couple more.

One of the nicest cameras I ever used was the original 1Ds, now that file was great to work on and only 11mp if my memory serves me correctly. Bragging about the size of your sensor size is, well......a bit silly.

LKaven

« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:54 am »

Who wants more than 12 MP anyway ? 

Skin texture, hair texture, foliage, architectural details.  Basically all high-frequency detail.

Lee Roberts

« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2014, 12:53:01 pm »

Who wants more than 12 MP anyway ?  I had a 5D 2 once and made the mistake of using it during a drizzly day. It stopped working after five minutes so I got rid of it and switched to a D700. I've had that ever since and it's been used in all weather conditions without a hiccup. An amazing camera that shoots a better file for me than the Canon ever did. I'm pleased they have come down in price, I'll buy a couple more.

One of the nicest cameras I ever used was the original 1Ds, now that file was great to work on and only 11mp if my memory serves me correctly. Bragging about the size of your sensor size is, well......a bit silly.

No one is "bragging" about the size of their sensor. don't make this into a phallic - based argument. That's the sentiment I'm hearing on your end of the argument. Resolution is *kinda* important, to me, at least. Maybe I'm the only person on earth who wants more than 12MP. Call me weird -- you wouldn't be the first, mate.

Wow, the things people get twisted up about!! I really hope you're not sincerely offended...or over 30 years old (Which I AM). But I will close by saying "my daddy can beat up your daddy" ;-)  Have a good Tuesday

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:25 am »

The Df may LOOK cheaply made, but I'm sure it's high quality.
Looks are very important with a camera marketed the way this camera was. A chap who had pre-ordered one in my local shop was really hacked off with the cheap feel, particularly compared to the way cheaper new OM camera.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

fotostudio.nl

• fotostudio IMAGO
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »

Hello guys ( D800 users)
I find it hard to set up my D800 to get neutral reproduction
of the brown and dark brown colors.
They appear far more red than the real colors.
Now I shoot in raw to work around this,(with photoshop)
but has anyone found settings on the camera for more neutral colors.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up