Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase detection autofocus: how your DSLR’s AF system actually works  (Read 1886 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Phase detection autofocus: how your DSLR’s AF system actually works
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 01:27:33 am »

It's certainly more detailed!  That means it's not as simplified and doesn't have a cool infographic.  ;)

Thanks for sharing it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:11:04 am »

thanks for both.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:48:50 am »

The Stanford PDAF applet and a linked Stanford CDAF applet
http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs178-13/applets/autofocusCD.html
are helpful in explaining why Canon is making a big deal of its new dual-pixel on-sensor focusing system used on the 70D midlevel APS-C camera.
http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/articles/Canon_Developers_Interview_nonfacing_pressquality.pdf
The marketing emphasis had been on the utility of the new Canon AF technology for video, but it strikes me that this Dual Pixel AF would be "a killer app" in a mirrorless camera, allowing phase detection speed with compatible AF lenses. The only non-SLR cameras I have are the Sigma DP2M and DP3M, which I tend to use in manual focus mode almost exclusively, but I have noticed that mirrorless camera users complain about slow focus speed. Canon should move quickly to insert this technology into its fixed-lens and interchangeable lens compact cameras.

Isaac

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:48 pm »

The marketing emphasis had been on the utility of the new Canon AF technology for video, but it strikes me that this Dual Pixel AF would be "a killer app" in a mirrorless camera, allowing phase detection speed with compatible AF lenses.

That sounds good but this this doesn't -- "Worse still, the screen blacks out completely during continuous shooting, making the whole thing something of a guessing game, particularly when panning to follow a moving subject. This means that Dual Pixel AF is effectively limited to being a 'one shot' mode when shooting stills."

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 07:09:02 pm »

Yes, that needs to be fixed. I find it odd that they can manage the video mode without blackout but not high-speed continuous stills.
Pages: [1]   Go Up