Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local Adjustments are affecting entire image.  (Read 2127 times)

J. Paul

Local Adjustments are affecting entire image.
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »

Hello All,
I am making my way around Capture One Pro 7 slowly but surely and I am trying out local adjustments but I must be doing something wrong.  I created a new adjustment layer and started painting a mask on the lawn area to adjust it (see attachment) . When I complete the mask (very slow to respond) and try to make an adjustment (exposure for instance) it is affecting the entire image and not the grass area that has been masked.  What do you think is going on with this.  Ideas and suggestions here would be most appreciated.
Regards,
J. Paul

jeanvalentin

Re: Local Adjustments are affecting entire image.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:00:32 pm »

Prior to version 7, it was working as expected: brush an area and then make an adjustment. Somebody at Phase thought that they need to complicate things a little (it seems they didn't hear about KISS) and they changed how adjustments work on v7.

You have to use the specific adjustment tool in order to affect the brushed area only. Since I had so many problems with v7, I took it off my computer and don't have it in front of me but I remember having the same problem as well.
Best,
Valentin

J. Paul

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:49 am »

Valentin, thanks for your feedback on this.  I am not sure I fully understand what you are saying about making the new version work.....or are you saying it doesn't work?  i am trying it again today and it just doesn't seem to be working at all. 
Regards,
J. Paul

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:47:02 am »

I had the same experience on one machine (Windows 7) after the 7.1.5 update but, curiously, not on my laptop - local adjustments are not something I use very often, so I'm not sure if the update had somehow reset the defaults on that machine or whether it had been like this for a while.

You need to go into the Local Adjustments tab and click on the down arrow on the right of the toolbar for each local adjustments tool (e.g. Exposure). At the bottom of the dropdown menu that appears, check 'Adjust Selected Layer'. The menu will then close and you should see a little paintbrush appear immediately to the right of the tool label. The tool will then work on the selected adjustment layer only, as expected.

It took me a while to work that one out, and I've been using C1 Pro for years ...

Malcolm

jeanvalentin

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:56 am »

You need to go into the Local Adjustments tab and click on the down arrow on the right of the toolbar for each local adjustments tool (e.g. Exposure). At the bottom of the dropdown menu that appears, check 'Adjust Selected Layer'. The menu will then close and you should see a little paintbrush appear immediately to the right of the tool label. The tool will then work on the selected adjustment layer only, as expected.....

Malcolm

<I am not sure I fully understand what you are saying about making the new version work.....or are you saying it doesn't work?>

It works, but differently than before (that's what I was trying to say, sorry for the confusion). Malcolm described exactly how you need to do it in the current version.
Best,
Valentin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:56:07 am »

i am trying it again today and it just doesn't seem to be working at all. 

Hi,

The adjustment layers require using the specific adjustment layer versions of the tools. The tiltle bar of the tool has a small brush next to the name.

You apparently reorganized the layout of the tool panels, and added/used the wrong tools to adjust the layers.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

J. Paul

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:17:47 pm »

Thanks to all for explaining how this works!  Now I am off to experiment.
Regards,
J. Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up