Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100% polyester canvas vs. cottong/poly blend  (Read 8139 times)

Roscolo

100% polyester canvas vs. cottong/poly blend
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »

100% polyester canvas vs. cottong/poly blend, which do you prefer and why? I've never used a 100% polyester canvas, but considering giving it a go. Mostly what I've printed on is cotton/poly blend Sunset Select Matte. Will I see a big difference if I go to 100% poly? Is it just as smooth? Mostly doing repros of paintings. Thanks

John Nollendorfs

Re: 100% polyester canvas vs. cottong/poly blend
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:32:55 pm »

I would be more concerned if it has a water resistant gesso base (acrylic). I'm guessing the pure poly has a more uniform texture. Have them send you a sample before you order a roll!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »

Pure poly media has a cheap feel to it. The only reason poly is used for for economical reasons. The more poly, the lower the price (and worse the feel, IMO).
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Danny.Chalmers@LexJet.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

A 100% polyester canvas will give you a more uniform look, but is mainly used on a high production scale ( i.e. hospitals and hotels). You will notice a difference in the weight and feel of the 100% poly vs. the poly/ cotton blend , however once printed to it provides the same quality and high color gamut as a poly/cotton canvas.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:33:45 pm »

Poly canvas is impervious to humidity. However is can slacken with quick temperature changes. Things to think about....

Peter

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:22 pm »

I've been using both Lexjet Sunset Deluxe Matte and Sunset Production Matte (a polyester blend canvas)  I find the polyester canvas easier to stretch, more economical to purchase and equivalent to the cotton canvas in image quality.  The polyester canvas has less surface texture.

Once it's stretched, "feel" is irrelevant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up