Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7R adapter for Canon EF-mount?  (Read 26423 times)

torger

Sony A7R adapter for Canon EF-mount?
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:55:03 am »

Is there a Canon EF-mount adapter for the Sony A7R? It would be cool to finally be able to use for example the Canon TS-E 24 II with a state of the art 36 megapixel sensor.

Edit: there seemingly is one, from metabones. Would be nice to see some test shots...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:24:00 am by torger »

CptZar

Re: Sony A7R adapter for Canon EF-mount?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:20 am »

But this is for the crop sensor of the NEX 7. Does it also work with the a7r?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:30 am »

There are several, although Metabones led the charge.  Others are typically cheaper and most sell on ebay with a simple search.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:48:33 am »

But this is for the crop sensor of the NEX 7. Does it also work with the a7r?
Yes, in the Camerstore TV video he shows the Metabones working with the EF 17-40 on the A7r

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:46:02 pm »

He does show the MetaBones adapter working in the CameraStore Video, but he doesn't mention anything about the crop factor at all. Is the crop factor something to be concerned about? No one seems to know for certain :(

robdickinson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:05:45 pm »

What crop factor?

The Metabones adaptor is full frame (the mkII I think), the a7 is full frame.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:13:02 pm »

The MetaBones EOS to NEX adapter is designed to fit the APS-C E Mount. So I was curious if the adapter filtered the full frame lens to be captured by an APS-C sensor.

conurus

• http://en.conurus.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »

Metabones Smart Adapter I (with a small rectangular opening) and Smart Adapter II (with a round opening) covers only the APS-C circle and is NOT compatible with full frame NEX camera bodies. Smart Adapter III (with a large rectangular opening) is the one you want.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:54:29 am »

The Mark III is exactly what I got! Thanks a ton guys!

andy5791

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:36 am »

Allright, this got me very interested.

Does anyone know if using Canon TS-E 24mm L II or TS-E 17mm lenses on a7r would cause any mechanical wignetting while using shift movement?

I see that FE-mount has quite small diameter vs. EOS mount while being full frame.  Also Metabones adapter seem to have some stuff (like contacts) inside the adapter which might cause a problem for this kind of use.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:27:06 am »

Does anyone know if using Canon TS-E 24mm L II or TS-E 17mm lenses on a7r would cause any mechanical wignetting while using shift movement?

Hi,

A similar question could be asked for the EF 85mm f/1.2 II. It has a huge exit pupil, with a rear lens element diameter of approx. 45mm, and that is already shaded by the mirror of the EOS-1Ds Mark III when used wide open (as evidenced by the clipped OOF background blur 'circles').

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

andy5791

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:43:33 am »

The 24mm version seem to have quite small exit pupil and not too close to lens mount. I usually use small apertures f8-f11 with this lens, so luckily it would help to overcome wignetting issues.

Also aperture can be set beforehand using EOS body, so use of automatic adapter (with contacts) would not be required. To have correct EXIF info would be nice though.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:49 am »

I emailed Metabones asking them this.  I have the 17 (not 24 but might spring for one if usable).

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 06:26:06 am »

I emailed Metabones asking them this.  I have the 17 (not 24 but might spring for one if usable).

Metabones replied but will only say that the lenses have not been tested.
I emailed Brian Caldwell who designed the Speedbooster.  Not that the Speedbooster is relevant to this, but I thought he may well be familiar enough with the geometries in the  SAIII to give a good idea.  His reply;

"It seems to me that the E-mount is a really poor choice for a full-frame mirrorless due to the extremely small throat diameter.  Whether this has a visible vignetting impact on lenses with large exit pupil distances and shift lenses remains to be seen.  I think you might see some abrupt corner falloff with the 17/24 shifted to their maximum values, especially if you shift along the short side of the frame.  I don't think the Metabones glassless adapter would have any impact on this - its just inherent in the geometry of the E-mount.

However, we won't know for sure until somebody does an actual test."

philbond87

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »

mcbroomf
Thanks for taking the first steps to research along this path.

That response is not exactly promising but not entirely discouraging.
I will still hold out some hope until it is proven that it won't work with the 17 and 24 TS-Es.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »

I'm no designer but this was the first question I had when I first saw the real photos. The FF E-Mount camera seems to be an improvisation. I won't buy the A7R till someone fully test it with Canon TSEII glass.  :(   Damn it, I'll have to wait till Haley is back for Canon to come up with a Nikon D800 answer.  >:(

Eduardo

P.S. The EOS bigger throat seems to be a real advantage that Canon has over Nikon at the time of designing lenses.

Metabones replied but will only say that the lenses have not been tested.
I emailed Brian Caldwell who designed the Speedbooster.  Not that the Speedbooster is relevant to this, but I thought he may well be familiar enough with the geometries in the  SAIII to give a good idea.  His reply;

"It seems to me that the E-mount is a really poor choice for a full-frame mirrorless due to the extremely small throat diameter.  Whether this has a visible vignetting impact on lenses with large exit pupil distances and shift lenses remains to be seen.  I think you might see some abrupt corner falloff with the 17/24 shifted to their maximum values, especially if you shift along the short side of the frame.  I don't think the Metabones glassless adapter would have any impact on this - its just inherent in the geometry of the E-mount.

However, we won't know for sure until somebody does an actual test."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:06:30 pm by uaiomex »

a7r

• Crispy Scapes
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 09:03:17 am »

http://blog.nicgranleese.com/2013/10/24/sony-a7r-review-for-architectural-photographers

"The Canon 24mm TSE ii physically / shifts fine with the A7r. The images above showing full shift up and down are of the 24mm lens. You will have to watch where you place your tripod plate though. I had to put mine on backwards. As for the electronics of the lens like aperture, that all appeared to work well and because the lens is manual focus that wasn’t an issue. For lenses with autofocus though you may have some issues with focus speed.
As for vignetting, the 17mm had obvious corner shadows, but the 24mm looked ok at a glance. More tests needed there though.
I just checked the meta data on the jpeg from the A7r and info like aperture, and focal length have been saved correctly, but the model of the lens hasn’t shown up. So apart from that it looks like the Canon 24 and 17 TSE lenses are going to work just fine. I can’t comment on the image quality yet as I wasn’t able to take enough photos, but I have asked Sony if I can borrow the A7r for a full shoot and a more in depth review."

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 11:03:18 pm »

Hi A7r. The answer you quoted was kindly directed to me. This was my question to Nick:

"Exciting article but a little of an anticlimax. Me and and a lot of Canon users are desperately to know if Canon TSEII work with the Sony A7r. You mentioned the 17Ts to vignette with full movements.  . But what about the 24TS? Was it fully usable with the Metabones adapter on the A7r? Thanks so much."

I'm "that" Eduardo. But I still wait for a full in-depth review before I get excited about it.

Greetings
Eduardo

http://blog.nicgranleese.com/2013/10/24/sony-a7r-review-for-architectural-photographers

"The Canon 24mm TSE ii physically / shifts fine with the A7r. The images above showing full shift up and down are of the 24mm lens. You will have to watch where you place your tripod plate though. I had to put mine on backwards. As for the electronics of the lens like aperture, that all appeared to work well and because the lens is manual focus that wasn’t an issue. For lenses with autofocus though you may have some issues with focus speed.
As for vignetting, the 17mm had obvious corner shadows, but the 24mm looked ok at a glance. More tests needed there though.
I just checked the meta data on the jpeg from the A7r and info like aperture, and focal length have been saved correctly, but the model of the lens hasn’t shown up. So apart from that it looks like the Canon 24 and 17 TSE lenses are going to work just fine. I can’t comment on the image quality yet as I wasn’t able to take enough photos, but I have asked Sony if I can borrow the A7r for a full shoot and a more in depth review."

a7r

• Crispy Scapes
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:16 pm »

Hey Eduardo,

I agree Eduardo, it's still hard to know for sure, without an in-depth review. Just have to wait and see. I have 2-3 weeks before my lens is posted from hong kong, so I have a bit of time to make sure it will work fine. The small E mount diameter is a worry.

Cheers
Chris

andy5791

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 02:22:37 pm »

Well, FE-mount diameter is still larger than Nikon F-mount by 2mm and about same than OM-mount. Latter mounts have also much longer flange distance.

I think that retrofocal design of 24mm TS-E II would might help with this issue. Lens exit pupil is not very close to lens mount due to the shift mechanism.

Very interesting to see how it turns out and if a "plain" adapter without contacts would be better for this.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up