Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which pp do you prefer?  (Read 2552 times)

batmura

Which pp do you prefer?
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:12:48 pm »

Riva 3 by batmura, on Flickr

Riva 2 by batmura, on Flickr

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Which pp do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »

The second one looks, with respect, absolutely ghastly. I think it probably shows more detail than the first, but the toning is really unpleasant. IMHO, naturally.

Jeremy

batmura

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »

Thanks, Jeremy. I appreciate your honest C&C.

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 06:03:05 pm »

First one for me. The tone in the second one is not for me even though it looks as though it has more detail in the bright areas.
Ken

mrazster

• Monochromatic.nu
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

The first one...by far.
The post processing is lovely...love the grayscale !
http://www.monochromatic.nu - BlackĀ“n White Photography
iMac 27" - Canon EOS 1Ds MK III - Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8 L - Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS USM

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:08:07 pm »

But burn in the  sky .

batmura

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 06:35:37 pm »

What do you mean by "burn in the sky" John? Were you suggesting I should have shot during sunset perhaps?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:36 am »

No, it's from darkroom language (used in Photoshop's dodge and burn tools) and means to darken. What are you using - Photoshop? If so, try adding a curves adjustment layer to darken the sky and apply a graduated mask to it - like adding a neutral grad. While a light sky invites the eye to drift up and out of the frame,  this will push the eye into the body of the image.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:38:13 am by johnbeardy »

batmura

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:36 pm »

John, I am using Lightroom and I already darkened the sky a bit despite having used a grad filter. I didN't think making too dark would work. Thanks for your valuable feedback. I will try that in the future.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »

One idea that often works on skies is to give the LR grad filter a negative value for the highlights or for the shadows - it can be more subtle and targeted than negative exposure - and you can always apply a few grads to build up the effect.

In general, the eye is attracted to the lighter areas of a B&W image, so light regions near the picture's edge tend to lead the viewer out of the frame and away from the subject. So B&W's often benefit from a little "edge burning" where the edges are darkened and hold the image together (that's the vignetting in the Effects panel). But I certainly wouldn't want to impose my taste on you - just encourage you to do more B&W.

batmura

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:08 pm »

John, what you described in the second paragraph about using vignettes makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for broadening my horizon! I would really experiment more with monochrome, but so far I have been dissatisfied with my processing. I am also using Silver Efex Pro 2 because it has some nice presets.

What I am not clear about is giving the grad filter in LR a negative value. I actually pulled the highlights all the way to the left while also darkening the exposure a stop. Then, I boosted the contrast. Should I have only pushed the highlights without touching anything else and add another grad filter on top of it repeating the step?

Thanks a lot for your help and time!

Roman Racela

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:20:26 pm »

I like the 1st one but make the sky a tad bit darker. I would like to see a revision of the 2nd image with 50% less toning. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up