Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arts Grants and Book Publishing  (Read 1995 times)

Rodd

• Drummond House Professional Photography
Arts Grants and Book Publishing
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:06 pm »

G'Day to all members in Australia,

Where do I start, is the biggest question!

I am extremely interested in representing the historical architecture of the churches in my city and presenting these images in a fine art book. I know it's going to be a long process of approval from the local religious historical and property entities however, there is no record apart from century old remnants and happy snaps of these buildings. Many churches are being sold to private investors, turing them into residential properties or even night clubs.

Is there a process for an arts grant in "Australia" for the various stages of project development? Should I inquire with a book publisher first as this is the end goal of the project.

Are there forum members out there that are well educated to advise me to the correct procedure?

Cheers...... Rodd

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Arts Grants and Book Publishing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 12:29:52 am »

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Start shooting and create an initial collection that you can use to pitch your work. With a small portfolio in hand you'll have something tangible so show your concept to both your subject and publishers and patrons who may be able to bankroll this.

You also need to research any similar projects that may have been completed to judge the viability. 

Are there others in your neck of the woods that may have done similar projects there in your city? Have you gone out and found similar books on other subjects?

Prepare for the long hall and have perseverance and you'll make it a success!

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Rodd

• Drummond House Professional Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:29 am »

G'Day,

Some very helpful hints, I already have one parish on board for some pre-production shooting so perseverance will definitely pay off.

If you've followed some of the more successful careers their mantra seems to be "the hurdles are to stop the ones that are doing for fun or part time, when the hurdles are left in your wake, only then you'll understand that perseverance pays off", or something like that.

Thanks for the nudge, Cheers...... Rodd     

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:13:59 am »

There is always the self publishing option and here Blurb (http://www.blurb.com) seem to attract a lot of praise although I have not used them myself yet. They are set up mainly for the coffee table tome trade but I rather feel that they may lack the ultimate quality of a well printed traditionally produced book.
Pages: [1]   Go Up