Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoninja newbie question.  (Read 2809 times)

Redcrown

Photoninja newbie question.
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:18 am »

I'm playing with a trial of Photoninja, version 1.2.0 released 10/1/2013. I'm trying to find a "square zero" starting point to begin evaluation and comparison to ACR, and not having much luck.

In adjustments, I turn off all but color correction and exposure/detail. In color correction I set light source to daylight/flash, color recovery strength to zero, and use the eyedropper to click on a neutral area to set temp/tint.

In exposure/detail I set both exposure and exp. comp. to as shot, and all other sliders to zero.

When I render this version and compare it to the equivalent "zero adjustments" version from ACR, I find the Photoninja version is significantly brighter than the ACR version. Between .5 and 1. stops brighter, depending on image content. All my test images have a good histogram in ACR, a wide spread with no clipping. Often the Photoninja render will clip highlights.

So my question is, how do you establish a base conversion in Photoninja to begin making fair comparisons to ACR?

Also, when I do the white balance the temp values shown in Photoninja are consistently lower than what ACR shows. Between 300 and 500 degrees different, even though the resulting images appear to have the same white balance. Any idea why that is?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Re: Photoninja newbie question.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »

Hi

If you click the Adjustments>Exposure And Detail entry, the latter will open. The first entry in the new window is Exposure, which has a drop-down menu at right. The default is "Smart Lighting". If you set it to "Unadjusted", the image will be displayed darker.

Thank you for your question, which led me to check this - I'm a Ninja newbie myself :-)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: Photoninja newbie question.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:53:49 am »

Below is the initial setup that I recommend for the best results.  As you gain familiarity with the program, you may choose different presets and create your own defaults.  Portrait is outstanding for portraits as well as some other subjects.  Scenic really brings out detail.  Experiment, and discover what works best for you, and learn how the adjustment tools work.  PN has much more power than can be found in the defaults alone.

Rob

Edit:  I usually have Lum. Noise Reduction set "Off," unless I am working with a series of high ISO images.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:02:37 pm by robgo2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up