Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best DSLR/Mirrorless for video focus tracking  (Read 106474 times)

JohnNewman

Best DSLR/Mirrorless for video focus tracking
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »

Hi all

I have a Fuji X-E1 which is great for stills (both Raw and Jpeg) but it sucks at video, especially AF tracking. Now I know that for the best video results I should be using manual focus and following all the other video "commandments" but there are times (I'm thinking of fast moving grandkids!) when I just want to switch the camera on and basically point and shoot. But I also want my camera to be capable of delivering good (if not the absolute best) image quality for stills so that I don't have to carry two sets of equipment around with me.

I've looked at the Nikon 1 system which is excellent for AF with its hybrid system but stills IQ didn't do it for me. So after a lot of research I'm now torn between a certain DSLR and a certain CSC, namely the Canon 70D and the Panasonic G6. Both have the articulating LCDs that I like, and both have decent travel lenses (18-135 STM for Canon and 14-140 for Panasonic). I'm guessing the Canon will have slightly better IQ especially for higher ISO circumstances whilst the Panasonic obviously has the weight advantage but an older sensor compared to the new Canon dual-pixel one.

I'd welcome thoughts bearing in mind that video performance, especially AF tracking, is what is going to lead me in one direction or another. 

Many thanks

John

hjulenissen

Re: Best DSLR/Mirrorless for video focus tracking
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:32:08 am »

I have got a DSLR for stills/tracking AF and a Sony RX100M2 for video and casual stills. Works very well for me.

I have some ambitions for stills photography. For video, I just want something like 1080p60 with sharp, low-noise, smooth motion without too many annoying compression/processing artefacts.

-h
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:34:18 am by hjulenissen »

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:59:14 am »

Sony A99 has the best tracking in video|live-view mode.
Video quality is generally good (better than in 5АMkII but much worse than 5DMkIII and GH3 - in terms of moire, aliasing and resolution. Colour and Dynamic Range is better on Sony).
Still quality is very nice.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 05:45:46 am »

Canon 70D - nothing is even in the same ballpark!

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:19:52 pm »

I have tried many systems for flying bird. The video focus tracking capability (speed and accuracy) is very critical for this purpose. I haven't found the one I like yet, but I suspect something like Canon 7D or 5DIII is required.
I have concluded that no EVF will satisfy my need due to the time-lag. So Any Sony (Alphas, NEX, or A7/A7R), M43 (both Olympus and Panasonic), and Fuji X are out. I like Lumix FZ200, but it is still not good enough.
I also concluded that the raw low light capability is critical too. The boosted, post-processed, high ISO does not count. The pixel count and the pixel size must be balanced for the optimal result.
The lens does matter, not all lenses are equal. Even with, say 7D, I need to choose the right lens.  This is where I have the most problem.  It's hard to find a right lens with a right price.

Before I look into Canon and Nikon, I found Panasonic GH2 or GH3 the best in the video mode and in the focus tracking. They are fine for  slow moving objects.

Pages: [1]   Go Up