Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS plates on Arca-Swiss Flip-Lock, or how to remove an Arca Swiss plate  (Read 5866 times)

shadowblade

I recently ordered a second C1 Cube head, and, as usual, it arrived with an attached Flip-Lock lever clamp. Unlike my first Cube, though, this one didn't come with the easily-removable hex screw, but with a circular screw with a circular hole in the middle - nowhere to attach a spanner or insert a hex key.

Trouble is, I use RRS quick-release plates on all my gear. Is there any way to remove the Arca-Swiss clamp and attach a RRS lever clamp? I'm out on a remote island at the moment, with no camera service centres who may be able to do this.

Failing that, can the Arca-Swiss Flip-Lock clamp hold the RRS plates securely, if it's something I'll just have to live with?

NancyP

Re: RRS plates on Arca-Swiss Flip-Lock, or how to remove an Arca Swiss plate
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:11 pm »

Have you tried adjusting the clamp width on the Cube flip-lock? It may be perfectly able to handle the RRS plates. Caution, however. If you unscrew that little wheel on the clamp base too far, you may have the clamp jaw half, a spring, and 4 little washers fall off. So I would do any fiddling over a clean surface, to make sure you don't lose any washers. It is reasonably easy to reassemble, at least when sober and patient - 10 minutes or under. Having set mine to take Kirk and other common plates and brackets, I haven't touched the adjustments of the flip-lock since. I have found only one non-fitting plate, an extra-short rangefinder/compact camera nodal plate by Sunwayfoto.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »

The wheel controlling the clamp width is so tight it seems impossible to adjust, unless there's some special trick to it.

Anyway, the Flip-Lock in general is a fiddly design, and certainly not something I'd like to try to operate in gloves at -30 degrees...

tsjanik

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:00:18 pm »

I use the Z1 with a AS flip lock with several plates including the RRS.  Squeeze the clamps together and try to turn the thumb wheel with a finger nail.  If that doesn't work, use a something like a screw driver blade to engage the wheel.  The flip lock holds RRS plates as well as any, if adjusted to the proper width.  If all of your plates are RRS, you only need to find the setting once.  For me, with plates from several manufacturers, the non-standard width of RRS is an aggravation.

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:28 am »

Doesn't seem to budge, and the wheel's harder to access when you squeeze the clamp together.

Is it supposed to be this hard to turn?

Does anyone know whether the blowtorch technique works to loosen the glue used here?

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »

NO question that the flip-lock is hard to adjust, and frankly I see that as a plus since I don't feel like chasing little washers and springs in forest undergrowth. It has been a while since I adjusted it, but it may be that one has to use the wheel when the clamp is fully open. I agree that the A-S fliplock is somewhat of a challenge with gloves, I can't do it with two layer ski gloves, I need to take off the outer gloves and use the inner gloves to move the clamp safety.

Rod Klukas  is the US A-S rep. rod.klukas@arcaswiss.com
Precision Camera Works website has info on care for the clamp

Bearmann

• http://brsphoto.zenfolio.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:21:37 pm »

I don't own this head, but from reading other forums, it is my understanding that it was remanufactured this way to prevent removal. I believe it will void your warranty if you ever do get it off. Actually, I think it was the D4 head which I read about, but I'll bet it's the same here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:24:07 pm by Bearmann »
Barry[/font]

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »

"can the Arca-Swiss Flip-Lock clamp hold the RRS plates securely"

Yes it can.

tsjanik

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »

Doesn't seem to budge, and the wheel's harder to access when you squeeze the clamp together.

Is it supposed to be this hard to turn?

Does anyone know whether the blowtorch technique works to loosen the glue used here?

It can be quite difficult to move - that's how I learned to use a flat screwdriver tip to move the wheel.  If that is ineffective, I would contact AS.
As Bearmann mentioned, removal of recent AS clamps is a problem:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/48092-does-arca-swiss-glue-their-clamps-heads-nowadays.html
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:13:35 pm by tsjanik »

shadowblade

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:25 am »

Any idea who would be able to service a Cube or remove the clamp in Melbourne, Australia?

There is no UPS, FedEx or any other courier service out of the island I'm on at the moment, but I will have two days in Melbourne next weekend.

Looks like the blowtorch option might also work, but, unlike the previous hex-screw, there doesn't seem to be a tool that would allow you to unscrew the clamp even if the glue were loosened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up