Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation sought  (Read 4237 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Recommendation sought
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:34:01 pm »

What would you recommend for a decent quality, high gloss paper? For personal use, I prefer Ilford Gold Fibre, but friends and family are used to and like really glossy stuff, and "educating" them has proved beyond me. My printer's an Epson 3800.

Jeremy

hugowolf

Re: Recommendation sought
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:58:45 pm »

Harman Gloss Baryta 320 is an excellent paper. It is a soft gloss, but much glossier than Gold Fibre Silk. To get anything glossier, you would be looking at RC paper or high gloss film.

There is always Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, and Canson has a high gloss paper. Your best bet would be sample packs from Canson-Infinty, Harman, and perhaps Hahnemühle and Ilford.

There is also Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss 215.

Brian A

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:08 pm »

+1 for Harman Gloss Baryta

Canon HW Gloss Photo Paper
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:02:08 pm »

friends and family are used to and like really glossy stuff, and "educating" them has proved beyond me.
At least you won't need to use expensive papers then ;-)

For that type of application I use Jessops gloss or Olmec gloss, both are good high gloss papers that work well in the 3800.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »

Harman Gloss Baryta 320 is an excellent paper. It is a soft gloss, but much glossier than Gold Fibre Silk. To get anything glossier, you would be looking at RC paper or high gloss film.

There is always Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy, and Canson has a high gloss paper. Your best bet would be sample packs from Canson-Infinty, Harman, and perhaps Hahnemühle and Ilford.

There is also Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss 215.

Brian A

I have to second hugowolf's recommendation, Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss (not to be confused with the non-High regular gloss version). It has a polyester base with a mirror finish (literally - 0 texture) similar to old Premium Ilfochrome. It also has slight metallic sheen and gives a depth that has to be seen.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

I have to second hugowolf's recommendation, Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss (not to be confused with the non-High regular gloss version). It has a polyester base with a mirror finish (literally - 0 texture) similar to old Premium Ilfochrome. It also has slight metallic sheen and gives a depth that has to be seen.

I'll happily give it a go, but Ilford don't recommend using it with pigment inks (as on the 3800). Have you tried, by any chance?

Rhossydd, I suspect you're right!

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »

I was going to suggest that you give each of your friends and family a Ferrotype tin, together with a set of instructions on how to use it.
But then you'd have to give them wet darkroom prints to dry on the tin. I'm not sure if wet inkjet semi-gloss paper will dry to a high gloss on a Ferrotype tin...
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »

An RC glossy paper is probably what they are expecting, luckily as noted above it's not expensive. The Epson version is fine.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 10:19:56 pm »

I tested the new Hahnemühle Photo resin-coated papers. The gloss may suit your needs, good gamut and density, lower cost than the premium papers, brightened but not to the point of appearing blue. With the HDR inks with a 9900, gloss differential was much lower than some touted pricey papers.

francois

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:52:57 am »

I'll happily give it a go, but Ilford don't recommend using it with pigment inks (as on the 3800). Have you tried, by any chance?

I used the Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth High Gloss paper for small prints (A5) and it was OK on my 3800. Didn't notice anything wrong with it. It was for a friend who likes glossy papers. I must admit that I didn't look too much into the results as my friend was more than happy with those prints.
Francois

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 04:05:09 pm »

Jeremy

I'm sorry if I spoke too soon, I didn't know about Ilford recommending against using pigment inks, that's too bad. I haven't tried it in my Epson but on my Canon with dye inks, the results are spectacular.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:53 pm »

Kodak Professional Inkjet Glossy may not be "artist" quality, but does a very interesting job for a relatively inexpensive paper.  I haven't bought any for a while, so am not certain it is still being made.  --Barbara

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »

Jeremy

So this is strange, i saw a box of ilford galerie prestige smooth high gloss and on the box it said "best results with Pigment inks"

!!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 02:32:28 pm »

So this is strange, i saw a box of ilford galerie prestige smooth high gloss and on the box it said "best results with Pigment inks"

That's bizarre. This is from Ilford's own site:

Smooth High Gloss has a universally compatible layer for superior results with both dye and pigment printers*.

*To achieve optimum results when using Smooth High Gloss media, the use of dye inks are recommended. If pigment inks are used they may lead to a matting of the surface in areas of high ink load. Some printers allow the use of gloss optimisers that can reduce this effect. ILFORD has, in the design of its ICC profiles, endeavoured to optimise the balance of image quality and surface gloss.

They don't provide a profile for the 3800, anyway.

Jeremy

texshooter

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:22:21 pm »

The glossiest inkjet paper you will find is Ilford Prestige Smooth High Gloss 215 gsm. Be warned, it's very thin and flimsy. I don't use it for that reason.

If you ask me, when it comes to glossy, nothing-- and I mean nothing-- beats Fujiflex paper. But you'll need a lab to print it for you. That stuff is like liquid. The best!
Pages: [1]   Go Up