Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stapler for Canvas  (Read 11281 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Stapler for Canvas
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:32:59 am »

I'm looking to upgrade my hand stapler to something better. Hammering the staples in after using the hand stapler is getting old real fast. From what I've read so far, the electric ones aren't much better.  I've never used a compressor before so have no idea what to look for - and then there's the gun itself.  I don't want cheap, or overboard, but only want to buy this once, i.e. don't want to have to upgrade later.

Any advice?
Mike Guilbault

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Re: Stapler for Canvas
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:55:56 am »

Hi Mike,

I'm using a California Air Tools compressor and a Paslode stapler. Works very well.

Cheers,
Jay
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

framah

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:18 am »

Check out the Porter Cable Upholstery stapler. Mine is model US58 1/4" min, 5/8" max length staple, air powered. Pretty much any air compressor will work it... and you DO need an air compressor, don't you?

Seriously, once you have a nice little compressor, the world opens up for you to a myriad of possible uses!!

You're a man. dam it!! BUY MORE TOOLS!!! It's your destiny! ;D
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:39:46 am »

I've been using a Harbor Freight 20 gauge stapler with no problems for several years, and probably 50-60 thousand staples.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gauge-wide-crown-stapler-68029.html

Probably their little pancake compressor should be adequate for just the stapler but if you want to run other tools. . . .

You should have been thinking ahead when you got that expensive Fuji sprayer. If I were you, I'ld sell the Fuji, and for that money buy a decent sized compressor, the cheap HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight (the $15 model works just fine for spraying canvas') and the stapler and other air tools you might like.

martin archer-shee

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:22 pm »

mike

Like Framah says  You're a man. dam it!! BUY MORE TOOLS!!! It's your destiny!
 Seriously a small compressor is so handy. once you have one there all sorts of needs, from pumping up your tires to.... well you name it. I got started when I decided to lay some hardwood flooring and was tired of the armstrong method. Bought a compressor and then a Stanley floor nailer off ebay. did the job and sold the nailer. Sure beat renting...

Canadian Tire have compressors on sale quite often and various nailer/staplers too. You will not regret it and as framah said......

enjoy and watch where your fingers are.... they don't look good connected...
Martin

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:03:29 pm »

After using a compressor wide crown gun for years, it finally broke and I move to this Maestri  Electric.  I have used it now for over 2 years without any issues on hundreds of canvas prints.  Just personal preference I didn't want the compressor noise since my studio is in my house.

Here is the gun:

http://www.romeomaestri.it/serie_lng-1-Id-98-prdId-129-Me.html

And here are the staples it takes:

http://secure.stapleheadquarters.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=EB8010

Works great and so far no problems.  Note, I did a bit of checking and apparently Maestri no longer sells to the U.S.   They are all over Europe but no one sells them any longer here. 

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:47:03 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

You're a man. dam it!! BUY MORE TOOLS!!! It's your destiny! ;D

I like the way you think Framah!  lol

I'll have to start looking next week.  I'm not sure which brands are available in my area.  I have Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Lowes and Rona to choose from unless there's another choice I'm not aware of - but that's mostly what I have in the area I live (about two hours north of Toronto).

Paul, I'll be using mine in the house as well - my basement office where I have my framing/stretching table, next to my wood shop.  I just wasn't sure if the electric models would have enough 'umph'.  Is there something comparable to the Maestri?  Are there different specs on the electric ones that I should be aware of?

What sort of power should I be looking at, and is there other specs I should be considering too?  How about the size of staples for most canvas work, and are there any other attachments I should be looking at?

Sorry for all the questions guys.  After some initial searches on the web, most of what I get are price comparisons and irrelevant information, so came to the best source I know.
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 12:10:53 am »

Well I've been doing some more research and kinda looking at this 2.5HP-4.2-GALLON-MAKITA

From what I've read, the 4.2 CSM and 1720 RPMs for low noise is almost ideal. It's oil lubricated though and wondering if that could be a problem. 
Mike Guilbault

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 01:26:06 am »

Two hours north of Toronto... varies a lot.  Friday afternoon, on the 400, in the summer?  That's about Vaughan, isn't it?  There's a Busy Bee Tools in Barrie now, might be of use to you...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 07:18:09 am »

Two hours north of Toronto... varies a lot.  Friday afternoon, on the 400, in the summer?  That's about Vaughan, isn't it?  There's a Busy Bee Tools in Barrie now, might be of use to you...

Mike.

You're about right Mike.  I drove to Barrie last night and the 400 was bumper to bumper headin north.  Luckily I know the backroads to get back home.

I checked Busy Bee online last night and they have a good selection and some of the prices are better too.  thanks.

Mike Guilbault

martin archer-shee

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:58 am »

4 gallon ( metric or imperial) is good for most things and is what I have. Still a small enough size/weight to move around. Yes, any of these makes a noise while building up pressure in the tank. But once up to pressure it only runs when the pressure has decreased and so is not running all the time. Usually you can set the full pressure and also the pressure you are using. For instance the tank might be at 110 pounds and you set your gun for 60 pounds. For attaching canvas you will not need big staples and thus less driving power. Try on some scrap.
One thing to remember about any compressor is to turn it off when not in use. Just think of the middle of the night and the pressure has decreased and the unit starts up..... Not appreciated by the wife ;D

Good luck

Justin B

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 09:23:41 am »

Duo-Fast EWC5018A used in the video here seems to work well
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

framah

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49:31 am »

Mike...

That's the exact one I just bought to replace an old compressor that finally died!  I bought it thru Amazon for $299 and as I have Amazon Prime, the shipping was free.

It now supplies air for the v-nailer, the computerized mat cutter, the air locking measuring stops on my chop saw and a couple of air guns at work tables. As none are pulling full air at the same time, it works great. I'm sure it would work fine for your uses.

As for staple guns, I'd stay away from any electric guns as they just don't have the pushing power that an air gun has. The biggest problem is possibly hitting a denser part of the wood in a strainer bar and the staple doesn't go all the way in and then you still have to go back and hammer them in.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »

Looks like that's the one I'll get.  It's $325 (CDN) at Busy Bee Tools in Barrie (close by).

Now to decide on the stapler!
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 01:41:14 pm »

If you are getting the air compressor the Senco line of guns are top notch.
SFW10XP 1/2" x 3/8 crown stapler is the one to check out.

philbaum

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 01:49:13 pm »

Duo-Fast EWC5018A used in the video here seems to work well

+1 to Justin.  I think electric has its advantages.  I have a nice pancake style compressor and 3 nailing guns, and freely admit they are fun to use.  But i drive only 5/16" staples and the electric stapler cord is a lot more flexible than an air hose - and less noisy.  Sure, the odd staple stands up if it hits a knot but its not that difficult to knock it down.  

I've worn out my first Stanley stapler, the second no name stapler i got from Home Depot fits nicely in the hand but has this probably dangerous quirk of expelling a staple on its own - 3 times now :-(  I need to step up the quality and find a real tool outlet in my area or order from Amazon, i guess.  i don't want to buy a pneumatic one - no waiting for power up or power down with electric.  But i only do about 70 stretch jobs a year
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:52:58 pm by philbaum »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:18 pm »

I used the compressed guns for years, and they will also miss cause staples to only get in 1/2 way.  I used only wide crown guns mainly the Italian Fasco brands but there were a few others also.   

The Maestri is the crown jewel of the electric guns in a league by itself.  This is not a light weight unit and it easily drives a 1/2 inch wide crown that is 1/2 or longer.  It's sad that the Maestri company decided to pull out of the U.S. market.  I am driving into a Larson 6011 bar which is a finger joined stretcher bar 1 1/2 not sure of the wood but it appears to be fir.

With both compressed and electric, by far my biggest issue is when a staple only goes in on one side and flattens on the other, which requires a total pull out.  This seems more due to the brand of staple. 

Each solution has their merits I went electric and only regret that the Maestri brand has pulled out of the U.S as I can't find a replacement if mine decides to break. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

StuNY

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

Looks like that's the one I'll get.  It's $325 (CDN) at Busy Bee Tools in Barrie (close by).

Now to decide on the stapler!

I got the Porter Cable Upholstery stapler a while back based on reading some old posts here. It is pretty much ideal. Small and easily maneuverable but can even drive staples below the surface if needed. I use it for assembling by frames and doing the canvas stapling for my gallery wraps. Highly recommend this. Looks like it is built to last a lifetime too.

framah

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

It was probably one of my old posts. :)

I know i have mentioned it before.

My gun is at least 10 years old and just keeps working.

enduser

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:46 pm »

The Maestri line of staplers is widely sold in Australia, and it's not a language hassle to buy online from there.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up