Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Generate measurement data from an ICC profile: possible?  (Read 3715 times)

yannb

Generate measurement data from an ICC profile: possible?
« on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »

Hello,

Does anybody know a way how to generate a CGATS measurement file from a CMYK ICC profile? I need to build a profile with other settings (lower total amount of ink), but the original profile was made with MonacoProfiler, which I don't have.
Printing an IT8 test target and measuring it is something I'd like to postpone for now (remote printer, long distance, ...).

Regards,
Yann

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Generate measurement data from an ICC profile: possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:38:34 pm »

Hello,

Does anybody know a way how to generate a CGATS measurement file from a CMYK ICC profile? I need to build a profile with other settings (lower total amount of ink), but the original profile was made with MonacoProfiler, which I don't have.
Printing an IT8 test target and measuring it is something I'd like to postpone for now (remote printer, long distance, ...).

Regards,
Yann

IF you're lucky, the ICC profile might have a "targ" tag which contains the CGATS file originally used.

No idea if MonacoProfiler embedded those.

If it did, there's a few ways to get it out.  argyll includes a program called extractttag that would do the trick.  A program that lets you view an ICC profile's tags would do the trick.  ColorThink Pro's profile inspector would, I'm sure many others would also.

You could always post the profile, and I (or if someone beats me to it) could pull it up in one of these programs and see if it's there.  Argyll has a learning curve if you aren't used to command line programs (although extractttag has almost no options), and ColorThink costs.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

yannb

Re: Generate measurement data from an ICC profile: possible?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:53 pm »

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here's some feedback.
Apparently the MonacoProfiler ICC profile in question does not contain measured values that are readable by other applications. Extracting them with ColorLogic's ColorAnt didn't work.
Finally I looked at ColorThink Pro. There I opened the ICC profile, went to the worksheet and loaded an ECI2002 CMYK TIFF. Using the target marquee, I was able to save the color list as a CGATS file containing CMYK and Lab values. I tried to open it in i1Profiler as a measurements file, but that didn't work. Only after opening it in MeasureTool and saving it again, I was able to build the profile using i1Profiler.

Regards,
Yann
Pages: [1]   Go Up