Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoiding duplicates when importing.  (Read 11597 times)

indusphoto

• 500px
Avoiding duplicates when importing.
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:50 pm »

I am doing trial of capture one and like the program for the output quality. However I am running into many small and large issues related to usability.

One of the problems that I face is that when importing files, there appears to be no way for C1 to identify the files already imported and not import them again. Is this feature not there or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:30:31 pm by sunnycal »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Avoiding duplicates when importing.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:24:28 am »

I am doing trial of capture one and like the program for the output quality. However I am running into many small and large issues related to usability.

One of the problems that I face is that when importing files, there appears to be no way for C1 to identify the files already imported and not import them again. Is this feature not there or am I missing something?

Hi,

Duplicates are not created, the files already present are skipped upon import (see attachment).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »

Coming from Lightroom I was expecting an up-front notice about duplicates. I also searched in manual but did not find any mention either way.

Thanks for the info. I was able to refresh my folders without duplicates.

ziegenpe

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 04:52:02 am »

In C1 8.2 on a mac this does not work for me. Every time I import a photo from my sd card it shows up in the catalog and is saved in the file system (content of the managed catalog) as well. No matter how many duplicate already exist.
Is there an option to enable the duplicate check like in aperture and lightroom?

Thanks
Peter

Jens Peermann

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »

I had a similar problem. I opened the Import dialog, navigated to the folder containing the images to be imported and clicked on "Import All". C1 imported way more images than were in the folder, often grouping them with images I want to import, even giving them the same file name. I had to manually delete those unwanted imports.

Then I made a discovery: When I select all the images I want to import, the command button changes from "Import All" to "Import [##] Images". Clicking on that command imports only the images I want.

Hope this helps.

ziegenpe

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:18:52 am »

This is exactly what I do: I navigate to the folder (mostly the SD Card from the camera) and select the images I want to import but always all selected images are imported. The button changes and displays the number of selected pictures but never less if I select already imported pictures. The way you describe it it would have to read "1" picture selected if you select two pictures of which one image is already in your catalog, right?

Regards
Peter

mgrayson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 07:33:44 am »

I just ran some tests. Importing referenced pictures to a catalog will not import duplicates. Oddly, selecting Import All and manually selecting All and importing will give different Events. One will ignore duplicates silently and the other will post a message. Someone's code base is getting fragmented. Been there. Done that.

Importing the files themselves into the Catalog will happily import duplicates.

This is C1 v8.2 on a Mac. I'm happy enough with Catalogs in this version that I'm moving thousands of pics into one as references. No problems so far...

--Matt

ziegenpe

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »

Thanks for the clarification.  It is good to know how it works but I as I want to have a managed catalog I will have to eliminate the duplicates by myself from time to time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up