Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: develop ones own style...  (Read 97312 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: develop ones own style...
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2013, 06:34:54 am »

From a distance in time it is hard to see many historic photographers had a defined style - because over the years so many others have sought to emulate them.  I'm sure at the time they had a readily discernible style.  Rob C says he could easily recognise a Bailey in the 60's - and I believe him.
I usually recognise his B+W work when he does the odd magazine job, even though he's before my time.

And yes, certain styles came about at various points in history too, because as soon as something new comes along it is copied.  I completely disagree with RSL that you cannot discern style in outdoor photography.  I know lots of local photographers and I can easily tell their work apart when I see it.  Not every time, but most of the time.
And some people say "all ****** music sounds the same to me" and insist that it is not them that cannot distinguish between various distinctly different artists, but a failing of the music [that they do not like].

I asked who the photographer was and was told "you wont know him, he's from miles away and we got married over ten years ago".  Well it turns out that I did know the photographer and had been working with him as a second shooter a couple of years before the pictures on display were taken.  In addition, they looked a lot like my pictures, which illustrates that my 'style' was heavily influenced by the photographer when I was starting out
I often wonder if it is always influence as such when seeing someone else's work or that's what you like and would tend to do anyway. Maybe you were employed as second shooter because your styles were compatible/similar in some way and your work may even have had influence the other way.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Manoli

« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2013, 07:13:13 am »

I often wonder if it is always influence as such when seeing someone else's work or that's what you like and would tend to do anyway.

Nail on the head …

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2013, 09:06:24 am »

Nail on the head …

It's the same thing either way though. 

We select to study a photographer's work for their style, to match our interest.  That work influences our work because it is what we are innately interested.

But generally, we learn what we are interested in by looking at other people's work, rather than just imagining on our own and trying everything?

jjj

« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2013, 09:47:20 am »

But generally, we learn what we are interested in by looking at other people's work, rather than just imagining on our own and trying everything?
Speak for yourself. Some people do actually imagine things all on their own or look at what's there and try to do something different. Sadly those with no imagination then copy and the interesting and different then becomes the mundane mainstream.

Or you can simply get some software and get all your creativity done for you.
I noticed this oxymoronic gem whilst looking at the DXO site. - "Presets - Give a unique look to your photos" And also "You can also express your creativity by using the “Atmospheres” presets to give your photos a special look and feel."

mezzoduomo

« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:56 am »

I learned what I was interested in shooting...by shooting, and being satisfied or dissatisfied with the results over time.

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:46 am »

I learned what I was interested in shooting...by shooting, and being satisfied or dissatisfied with the results over time.

And you were never influenced in what was satisfactory by any image you didn't make???  I would expect you had long before learned what you like, and by shooting and shooting you learned how to produce it.

I knew by the time I was ten years old what kind of images most interested me, and that of course could happen only because like everyone else I had been exposed to photographs from the time I was able to focus my eyes!  Virtually every child will see thousands and thousands of photgraphic images by the time they are out of primary school.

By the time we are teenagers, if pictures interest us, we have already formed some mental concept of what is "nice" and therefore of what we might later decide to make ourselves.

The idea that anyone actually experiments with every possible style and develops their interests soley based on their own work is attrociously narrow.

jjj

« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2013, 12:01:38 pm »

The idea that anyone actually experiments with every possible style and develops their interests soley based on their own work is attrociously narrow.
I based my style on Renassance Tapestry, the Battle Russes and Philip Glass.

jjj

« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »

I learned from doing just that is that what I thought as I wasn't interested in was what I was very good at and now love to do - that's photograph people.

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »

I based my style on Renassance Tapestry, the Battle Russes and Philip Glass.

So despite what you previously said, you didn't just imagine all of it on your own.

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2013, 12:14:47 pm »

I learned from doing just that is that what I thought as I wasn't interested in was what I was very good at and now love to do - that's photograph people.

And previusly you said you weren't influenced by others, which of course could only be if you had never seen any examples of "people pictures" until you started using a camera to make your own.

Or is it more likely that your interest in people pictures was fairly well developed before you were a photographer?  And that what you learned with the camera was not an interest in people pictures at all, but rather the techniques for making good people pictures?

jjj

« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:41 pm »

And previusly you said you weren't influenced by others.
No I didn't. I'm influenced by everything I see or do. But influenced by does not necessarily mean copying. It can mean doing something different from what you see around you.

Or is it more likely that your interest in people pictures was fairly well developed before you were a photographer?  And that what you learned with the camera was not an interest in people pictures at all, but rather the techniques for making good people pictures?
Not sure if you are struggling with reading or comprehending an alternative point of view.
I had no interest in photography let alone portraiture before I picked up a camera to try it out. Found I liked it but actively tried to avoid photographing people, only later discovering I was rather good at it. Probably found this out as unless you do landscapes people end up being in a lot of photos.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:56:20 pm by jjj »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up