Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flicker, eyestrain or headache when using a monitor with LED backlighting?  (Read 36714 times)

Frans Waterlander

those who suffer from it will likely know or soon discover and can avoid such purchases.
I don't quite get your logic. How can you avoid such purchases if you don't know you have such sensitivity? Answer: you can't. Many people that have the sensitivity don't even know that it is caused by the flicker of the monitor or fluorescent or LED lamps. NEC acknowledged they are aware of the issue with the P232W, but say they won't correct it, something that should be very easy to do by changing one or two component values or, even easier to do, change the timing through firmware. And NEC knows very well how to do that; the exact same backlighting in the P242W works at a way higher frequency (8,000Hz versus 180Hz). So, chalk this one up to sloppiness or a the-devil-may-care attitude, your choice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:43:15 pm by Frans Waterlander »

Frans Waterlander

You should spend more time worrying about our food quality with the governmental shutdown than this sillyness.

Oh, you mean the government that allows 7.5% of chickens for human consumption to be contaminated with salmonella? That government?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

Oh, you mean the government that allows 7.5% of chickens for human consumption to be contaminated with salmonella? That government?
You are as misguided and worried about chicken with salmonella as you are about displays with flicker. It's a non issue expect for stupid people who eat raw chicken! Cook it to 165+ degrees, no more salmonella. And even if you're as concerned about salmonella as display flicker (you shouldn't be concerned with either), with the FDA/FSIS shutdown, you can keep yourself up at night worrying about far more than 7.5% of chickens for human consumption to be contaminated with salmonella assuming you're dumb enough to be eating that percentage of chicken raw. Bottom line, if you're really that concerned about 7.5% of chickens for human consumption to be contaminated with salmonella, thank the nuts in the house who were responsible for shutting down the government!

Maybe that Government needs to tackle that awful issue of display flicker, that your idea Frans?
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20873175-routine-fda-inspections-of-food-facilities-suspended-due-to-government-shutdown#comments
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:55:49 am by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frans Waterlander

You just don't get it, do you, Andrew? I'm not a food safety expert (are you?), but for the sake of argument let's assume that your assertion that salmonella on chickens for human consumption is no safety issue. So, why then the 7.5% regulation? It's either safe (as you assert) or it isn't. You either need no regulation or you need a way, way stricter one, like zero-tolerance. And who came up with the 7.5%? Not 7, not 8, but 7.5%? And, as a side note, very revealing, your remark about "the nuts in the house".

And who is making all the fuzz here about monitor flicker? It's you, Andrew. You can't stop attacking me over it. It's an issue for some people and so your assertion that it is a non-issue is incorrect. People should be aware of it and increasingly are becoming aware of it, in part "thanks" to more LED monitors being sold, many of them with too low a pulse width modulation frequency. And yes, I wanted to know as much as possible about it before I plunked down a wad of money on a new monitor. Is that OK with you?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:44:39 pm by Frans Waterlander »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:52:37 am by digitaldog »

Frans Waterlander

You are making my point exactly: "And who is making all the fuzz here about monitor flicker? It's you, Andrew." Give it a rest.

bcooter

I believe the OP may suffer from Cyberchondria 

Andrew, don't be a d__k.

Yes I think a lot of internet buzz is just that buzz, but until you really have an issue, like a detached retina and you work for two hours and it hurts, you'd have a much different view on this.

My eye issue is mine alone and I don't expect Apple or NEC to build a monitor just for me, but I do wish I would have known what the new monitors would do before I bought two of them, which are non returnable.

I work around it, eat Advil, meet deadlines and go on with my life, but it's amazing I can set down and work 14 hours virtually straight on a 30" dell and it's just a no thought process.  The new backlit Apple monitors are hell, but that's not a whine or complaint, it's just a fact.

I'm curious do you park in handicap zones because you feel people in wheelchairs are just faking it?

IMO

BC

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

My eye issue is mine alone and I don't expect Apple or NEC to build a monitor just for me, but I do wish I would have known what the new monitors would do before I bought two of them, which are non returnable.
How'd you manage that? It IS possible to purchase a display (or many other products) and return them. At least within a reasonable time frame to test the products.
I'm curious do you park in handicap zones because you feel people in wheelchairs are just faking it?
Nope but I do my best when finding people who park there when they shouldn't end up handicapped.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

bcooter, let me say I do feel for you due to your condition. I can understand how this could be a serious and painful ailment. With that said, I'd think anyone in your shoes would and should be super careful about selecting a display or for that matter, anything that relies on your vision to conduct work. As I suggested early on to Frans, IF he's so sure he suffers issues with backlit LED displays (and there's zero evidence of this), he find a source that will provide a demo or a means of returning the product should it not work out. To suggest NEC or any other company is deliberate in producing a product it's customers would suffer from is just silly and no one forces these products onto people who know they may have an issue.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:43:49 pm by digitaldog »

bcooter

bcooter, let me say I do feel for you due to your condition. I can understand how this could be a serious and painful ailment. With that said, I'd think anyone in your shoes would and should be super careful about selecting a display or for that matter, anything that relies on your vision to conduct work. As I suggested early on to Frans, IF he's so sure he suffers issues with backlit LED displays (and there's zero evidence of this), he find a source that will provide a demo or a means of returning the product should it not work out. To suggest NEC or any other company is deliberate in producing a product it's customers would suffer from is just silly and no one forces these products onto people who know they may have an issue.

Like a lot of people, I work huge hours, in today's new economy and have very little time. 

That's fine, no complaints and actually I have no complaints about the Apple monitors because as I've said they can't test for everyone.

But I don't and didn't have time to look for a problem I've never had.  My eye is problematic, I'm use to it, but I've never had a monitor do what the new ones do, so I didn't expect the issue.

Then again when I bought the new Imac it was just a stop gap until the new Apple desktop comes out, but never in my wildest dreams did I think that in two hours I'd have to get up and walk around the patio to clear my head and right now, since so much of our work is motion and I still use FCP 7 (me and about 75% of the market) the new Imac is the only computer that will fly with the legacy fcp.

But your right, this falls on me, not Apple, though I wish the desktop was out because I'd have gone that direction and added my 30" dells because I know how well they work for me.

IMO

BC

ZoeSanderson

I don't quite get your logic. How can you avoid such purchases if you don't know you have such sensitivity? Answer: you can't. Many people that have the sensitivity don't even know that it is caused by the flicker of the monitor or fluorescent or LED lamps. NEC acknowledged they are aware of the issue with the P232W, but say they won't correct it, something that should be very easy to do by changing one or two component values or, even easier to do, change the timing through firmware. And NEC knows very well how to do that; the exact same backlighting in the P242W works at a way higher frequency (8,000Hz versus 180Hz). So, chalk this one up to sloppiness or a the-devil-may-care attitude, your choice.
My friend was just looking for this information. Thanks

ZoeSanderson

Oh yes, I also have a headache very often due to long work in front of the computer and because of this I cannot finish my projects. It seems to me that this is the worst pain I have ever felt and I would really like to get rid of it. I even started wearing glasses, but that also doesn’t help, and after several hours of working for the PC, I continue to feel a severe headache. I do not need to advise nurofen and other pills because they do not help me. I am thinking about using kratom products but I have some doubts about that. What do you think about this? It's safe?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:30:18 pm by ZoeSanderson »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up