Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800E - ideal lens for Landscape work?  (Read 15313 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Re: Nikon D800E - ideal lens for Landscape work?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 05:44:34 pm »

Erik,

That's what I got when ($249.00) I went to the page you linked and clicked on "Subscribe".
I'll look further.

Thanks,
Jack

shadowblade

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »

I have both the 14-24 and the ZF 21, and for pure image quality at that FL, I'd pick the ZF every time.  The 14-24 is excellent, but lower contrast in the details.
A good 28mm and a good 35mm would both compliment the ZF21 nicely. There are many to choose from...

At 21mm, definitely.

But, if you need anything wider, the 14-24 outperforms the Zeiss 18mm, and is equal to the Zeiss 15mm.

shadowblade

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:07 pm »

Just returned the Nikkor PC-E 24 and ordered the Zeiss 21!

Should have it by the end of the week and run tests this weekend.

Thanks for input on the wide side....... now for the rest.

Nikon's deficiencies on the tilt-shift front are the only reason I still shoot Canon despite Canon's sensor deficiencies, since I shoot a lot of shifted panoramas.

I'm looking forward to putting my tilt-shift lenses on the new Sony full-frame NEX, if Canon doesn't deliver soon in the high resolution/dynamic range sensor area.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 07:22:56 pm »

Hi,

Yes, I noted it, but that is the price for the whole package (all sites).

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

That's what I got when ($249.00) I went to the page you linked and clicked on "Subscribe".
I'll look further.

Thanks,
Jack
Erik Kaffehr

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 11:21:37 am »

OK folks - shot my first image with the new D800E and Zeiss 21mm lens.
I'm hooked on this toolset!!

The combo of the D800E and the Zeiss 21 produced an exceptional image.  Glass is excellent and the array in the D800E captured all I could have asked for.  

Considering I've been shooting Hassie film and digital for over 40 years, this is a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to all that pointed me to the Zeiss 21.

If you wish to see the image, hit my web site http://www.shadowsdancing.com  
It's currently the logon page image.

Now, what lenses to add that can match the results of the Zeiss 21 ............

shadowblade

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »

The combo of the D800E and the Zeiss 21 produced an exceptional image.  Glass is excellent and the array in the D800E captured all I could have asked for.  

Considering I've been shooting Hassie film and digital for over 40 years, this is a pleasant surprise.

I'd also consider the Zeiss 50 and 100 macro lenses - they're super-sharp, with great micro-detail.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 05:13:46 pm »

I'd also consider the Zeiss 50 and 100 macro lenses - they're super-sharp, with great micro-detail.

Was just looking at those - Think I'll wait till end of the year to see the new Zeiss 55.
Have a chap I know here in Chapel Hill that also raves about the 100 macro.  Looking into that.

Thanks,
Jack

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:48 pm »

Hi,

Nice to hear that you found a kit you are satisfied with!  Most Zeiss lenses are pretty good as far as I know.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

mjrichardson

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2013, 01:01:59 am »

Hi

I'm glad you like the 21, I enjoy shooting with mine. I also have the new zeiss 135 f2 which is incredible, extremely sharp and with the most amazing bokeh. If you like shooting in that focal length then I believe it's unbeatable. I also have the 55 on order, looking forward to seeing just how good it is.

Mat

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:00 am »

Hi,

Regarding the 55/1.4, it is a Distagon design (that is inverted telephoto). I don't know why Zeiss has chosen this design, but it has a lot of glass, so I guess it is quite heavy.

On the other hand, it seems that Zeiss is in progress of making a new series of lenses with very good performance at least judging MTF curves.

The main advantage of the 55/1.4 may be the virtual elimination of color bokeh (Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration) at large apertures. If you shoot stopped down to f/5.6 or so LoCA may not be an issue. Stopping down beyond f/8 may get you into diffraction limit, my guess is that the 55/1.4 is diffraction limited past f/5.6.

Best regards
Erik

Hi

I'm glad you like the 21, I enjoy shooting with mine. I also have the new zeiss 135 f2 which is incredible, extremely sharp and with the most amazing bokeh. If you like shooting in that focal length then I believe it's unbeatable. I also have the 55 on order, looking forward to seeing just how good it is.

Mat
Erik Kaffehr

jerome_m

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2013, 02:51:26 am »

Designing ultrawides is a lot more difficult than designing lenses between 50mm and 135mm. The Nikon 50mm and 85mm f/1.8 lenses in the D series match the Zeiss 21mm for sharpness at reasonable apertures (say f/4 or f/5.6). I know you won't believe me because these lenses are dirt cheap, but it is true nevertheless. And these lenses are very light, which I remember to be a major criteria for you.

pluton

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 12:22:08 am »

At 21mm, definitely.

But, if you need anything wider, the 14-24 outperforms the Zeiss 18mm, and is equal to the Zeiss 15mm.

I've noticed that when viewing shots(in Lightroom) of outdoor scenes I've shot with, for example, the Zeiss 21mm and Zeiss 25mm/2, and then the same scenes and lighting conditions shot with the 14-24, I have to goose up the contrast of the 14-24 shots by a very small amount to match the 'look' of the Zeiss lens shots.  

Funny you mention the Zeiss 18mm:
I originally bought a Zeiss 18mm, but didn't like the illumination falloff toward the margins of the image on the 12MP Nikon D3 I was shooting with at the time.  So I returned it, and for about US$60 more(in 2009) I got the 14-24, figuring that it gave me my 18mm and more FL-wise, and with it being a modern zoom, it should be more telecentric so it wouldn't have the falloff issues that the ZF 18mm had.  I was correct.
The Zeiss 15 I have not used.  I've seen an online published test (http://www.3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127:uwa-comparison&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2)between the ZF15, Samyang 14, and 14-24 that showed what you have stated:  Basically, the Zeiss 15mm cannot be said to be superior to the 14-24.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:43:47 am by pluton »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up