Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winding Stair Mountain - Autumn Evening  (Read 1679 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Winding Stair Mountain - Autumn Evening
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:27:51 pm »

This image is from about 25 years ago. It was made with a Pentax 67. The lens was too short and I probably hand held it (with my wife and young kids waiting in the car). It's from Winding Stair Mountain in SE Oklahoma. I was always disappointed that the chrome was not as good, technically, as I wanted because I think the color and the light are so nice. But it's a little soft and requires too much cropping to get to the good part. The reason I'm posting it is to spark a discussion about the use of "painterly" effects to mask technical flaws in what is an otherwise good image. I'm pretty much a "straight photography" type but it does occur to me that good photographs that don't quite hold up technical may still be useful.

BTW, the crosshatching was a simple filter in PS that seems, to me at least, to work nicely with this shot. I do think that more sophisticated work might often be necessary. I don't want to imply this is a way of salvaging an image as much as an alternative processing method that may be better for some shots. I've been enjoying a small canvas print of this one for a couple of days.  I'm interested in your responses and hope a lively discussion will ensue.

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Winding Stair Mountain - Autumn Evening
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »

The reason I'm posting it is to spark a discussion about the use of "painterly" effects to mask technical flaws in what is an otherwise good image.

For me, using any kind of "effects" to mask technical flaws just makes matters worse. I would just accept the fact the image is no good and move on, or better yet, try again(when it's possible)

Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

rgs

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:02:49 pm »

For me, using any kind of "effects" to mask technical flaws just makes matters worse. I would just accept the fact the image is no good and move on, or better yet, try again(when it's possible)

I agree usually, but...

• Not normal light - hard to anticipate - 5 hour drive
  • No Fuji Velvia
  • Pentax 67 traded for a 50D (held on to it too long and lost too much value)

You may be right, I just want to see what others think. Thanks for responding.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:43 am »

For my eyes it adds too much conflicting structure and makes the image "busy". How about a more gaussian blur approach ?

Frank

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »

If you're really talking about an alternative processing method rather than the use of "painterly" effects to mask technical flaws, then I think it will work much better if you have that alternative processing method in mind when you take the photos.

Push that approach far enough and maybe you too will proclaim "digital photography is an entirely new medium compared to film photography" and "Digital Photography Is Painting".

rgs

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 06:15:55 pm »

If you're really talking about an alternative processing method rather than the use of "painterly" effects to mask technical flaws, then I think it will work much better if you have that alternative processing method in mind when you take the photos.

Push that approach far enough and maybe you too will proclaim "digital photography is an entirely new medium compared to film photography" and "Digital Photography Is Painting".

Makes sense to me. But maybe there are "happy accidents". BTW the image I posted looks much better and makes a lot more sense printed on canvas than it does on the computer screen. So maybe that's a part of the equation as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up