Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location names - synonyms  (Read 20367 times)

dieter268

Location names - synonyms
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:41:30 pm »

Hi,

I'm just building up my hierarchical keyword list in LR as suggested in the DAM video (SCNR) from Michael and Seth.
I'm amateur photographer so I do keywording just for personal searching, no need to find something for a client.
My native language is german and because of family and friends relations to romania I have for most locations in romania a synonym like Bukarest / București or Rumänien / România.
I wonder what is considered to be best practice for the pros in cases a location (or animal, plant, ... ) has different names in your main language and the original language?
As a german speaking photographer would you add for example Venedig (D) / Venice (E) / Venezia (I) as synonyms?

Kind regards

Dieter

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Location names - synonyms
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:08 pm »

If the Lightroom catalog is only for your own use, then no synonyms are needed. Just use German. In the unlikely event that someone else uses the catalog, they will know that Dieter spoke German, primarily, and will adjust their searches accordingly.

dieter268

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:39:12 am »

Thanks for your opinion, Peter.
Actually I use synonyms for places or things that have more then one name, I have just the more common name in my keyword list, and the other as synonym, so it is searchable by both names with only one name in the keywords list, I find that very convinient.

Kind regards

Dieter

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:11 am »

I don't use other languages, but the biologist in me wants to record both common names and scientific names for plants and things, so in my keyword list I put the scientific name, then add the common name inside the scientific name.  I can add the common name to a new image as a keyword, and because it's embedded it automatically adds the scientific name as well.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up