Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Here, Catch"  (Read 1647 times)

Dale Villeponteaux

"Here, Catch"
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

At least two people in this picture, one seen and one unseen, presumably bound to each other by the rope.  As an aside, this image reminds me of one I saw of a religious ecstatic, except that he was handling snakes rather than a rope.
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Rob C

Re: "Here, Catch"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 03:24:11 am »

At least two people in this picture, one seen and one unseen, presumably bound to each other by the rope.  As an aside, this image reminds me of one I saw of a religious ecstatic, except that he was handling snakes rather than a rope.

This 'rope' image is an example of what I was suggesting recently: photography, as an 'art', should perhaps stay with this sort of imagery - things that happen by themselves, instants that are not likely to be subjects for painters. I think it's the abilty of some snappers to catch these things that makes them different to other artists who, by obligation, choose more settled subjects. So, in order to differentiate photography from the other disciplines, perhaps the best and most simply obvious way is to deterrmine 'photographic' subjects (still subjectively - no doubt!) and stay within them.

Of course there are all kinds of commercial photographic situations which I think one has to remove from this table, the images from/for which may or may not be art, but, undeniably, art and commerce have always run together even if somewhat uncomfortaby at times.

That's not to say one can't play around with other subjects - just that trying to ape paint doesn't promise a golden future! I enclose a very recent example of my own - not imagined that way at all, but thought about at the monitor as a 'rescue misssion' for a shot that didn't quite achieve what I'd hope that it would.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up