Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium Format Tablets are coming  (Read 4717 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

andyptak

Re: Medium Format Tablets are coming
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:36 am »

The day that you can shoot tethered to such a device is the day I will become really excited - no Thunderbolt or Express Card slot for Firewire attachment. I lament the day that Express Card slots started to dissapear, the flexibility they offered was tremendous.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:27:44 am »

The day that you can shoot tethered to such a device is the day I will become really excited - no Thunderbolt or Express Card slot for Firewire attachment. I lament the day that Express Card slots started to dissapear, the flexibility they offered was tremendous.

If I am not mistaken, it features one USB3.0 port, which is significantly faster than firewire800.

Cheers,
Bernard

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:52:38 am »

True Bernard - but my Phase backs don't care. If only one could adapt Firewire to USB my life would be a lot simpler!

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:23:35 am »

I think the root cause for this is that Sony and Apple decided to demand a royalty for each firewire device.
Bernard is not an MF shooter or video guy so he doesn't care about firewire ;)

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:25:16 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:55:34 am »

I think the root cause for this is that Sony and Apple decided to demand a royalty for each firewire device.
Actually, Apple never charged to use the technology itself, and in fact made it freely and openly available as a published industry standard, IEEE1394. But strangely, Apple initially charged to use the name "Firewire", leading to the avoidance of that name. And apparently, the modest extra hardware cost, $5 or $10, on top of the USB that every computer needed anyway, was enough to limit the adoption and development of Firewire/IEEE1394 in the very price-sensitive world of mainstream Windows PC hardware.

P. S. there is however the sadly familiar issues that dozens of patent holders claim that the use of IEEE1394 infringes on various of their patents, so that an MPEG LA licencing pool is involved.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:03:04 am by BJL »

BJL

Medium Format Tablets: Wacom's response?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »

Getting back on topic: do such devices start undermining Wacom's offerings, by combining the functions of a high end color Wacom tablet with the computer, and apparently in a less massive form than the high end Wacom's? If so, what is or might be Wacom's response? Putting the computer inside its own more specialized artists's tablets, or licensing its technology to makers of touch-screen computers, as it already does to some extent?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:53:51 pm by BJL »

andyptak

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »

Wacom introduced a Tablet PC a couple of weeks ago.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »

Indeed, I have selected a platform for my lenses (nikon DSLR) whose ROI is short enough that I can stay aligned with the consumer electronic's latest standards. :)

And indeed, the D800 has a USB3.0 port.

Now, it doesn't mean it thetherhs as well as a phaseone back unfortunately, so it may not be much of a point. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:53:36 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BJL

Medium Format Tablets are coming, and Wacom is in the game too
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »

Wacom introduced a Tablet PC a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks! So they are on the ball. I like this option
http://cintiqcompanion.wacom.com/CintiqCompanionHybrid/en/
which is usable both as a stand-alone Android device and in traditional Wacom tablet style as an input device for a PC, so you can work with a powerful desktop sometimes. The first Android "tablet" to truly impress me! But there is a Windows 8 tablet PC option too, that does not "dock" to other computers.

P. S. This is one more reason why it was silly for the name "tablet" to be applied to the iPad (Apple never called it that) and then to all the similar devices that followed: Wacom makes the real tablets.
I suppose it is too late to lobby for "slate", since HP gave that name a black eye.

KhaledA

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:22:12 am »

Looks quite impressive, too bad there's no firewire port.
However, it's a bit too large for location work, though it should be great in a studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up