Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony DSC-F828  (Read 14528 times)

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 09:57:12 am »

ARD : thanks - I'd already used those sites, and again it was Michael's 'hands on' experiences and his reports that drew me to this forum. In addition, I've found another encouraging report http://www.photo.net/equipment/sony/f828/

As one of the reports concludes, it ( camera specifications and eventual choice ) is a compromise - something I've come to realise over the years. I understand your comment about current models and resale value, but I want a camera that'll suit my needs rather than an investment I can resell easily.

Thank you all, once more.

Digi-T

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 03:38:05 pm »

... there is no question the f828 is deficient for serious photography.
I certainly would not go that far. That is a judgment based on your own photographic needs and views. In some ways a fixed lens camera like the Sony is limiting but in other ways there are advantages. I'm still using an F707 and the light weight and absolutely quiet operation is great for not drawing attention to myself and carrying around easily. The laser focus assist and infrared features are actually quite useful at times too. I don't even have RAW capabilities with this camera but the jpegs still look excellent. I would love to have a camera like the Digital Rebel xt because the quality is better and it performs faster but my current budget doesn't allow it. That doesn't mean I have to be any less serious with my camera. It's like with so many things, you just have to know how to use your equipment by understanding its limitations and capabilities. One last thing, I'm using Noise Ninja's latest PS plugin so that now makes NR very convenient and effective when I need it.

T

Digi-T

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2005, 03:07:16 pm »

IMO abaazov's comment is not out of line at all. An f828 would be useless in a no-flash-allowed wedding where ISO 1600 + f/2.8 is barely adequate, especially in mixed-light situations (fluorescent lights on one side of the room, and incandescent on the other) make shooting RAW mandatory if anything approaching decent color is desired....
Of course the F828 would not be the best choice for formal wedding photography and not a single person is comparing it to the 1D-MkII. It does have many strengths, however, and that is what I was talking about. Formal wedding photography in low lighting is not the  benchmark that determines the seriousness of a photographer or their cameras. Photography is much more diverse than that. I am not the type of person that will tell you that a gifted photgrapher can take first rate pictures in any situation with any type of camera. What I am saying is that you can still take high quality photos with a camera like the F828 when you work within its capabilities. Those capabilities can be more considerable than you think. As far as color corrections go with jpeg files, as long as I have gotten close with my exposure and white balance at the time of capture I haven't had any problems. Photoshop has the tools to make accurate white balance corrections. I don't disagree that the RAW format is the preferred way to go but I do think that its superiority is exaggerated.

T

TBrownlee

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 02:34:42 am »

I bought my F828 about a year & a half ago & have all but abandoned my MF system.

I purchased this camera becasue I was looking for a long zoom range, fairly compact package (compared with a DSLR) & a high mpixel count. I have shot several thousand frames with my F828 & I am still happy with it. My shooting has run the gamut: Product shots that get enlarged to 16x20, lots of technical stuff at work, landscapes, "macro" work & family shots. It has its drawbacks, but for me has represented the best series of compromises of any of it's competitors at the time I purchased. The CA problem has been an issue in a couple photos, but I photoshopped the worst of it out. The camera writes to the buffer painfully slow, but I've found that using jpegs works well with my end use ~ mostly 8 x 10's for a series of albums & a number of 11 x 14's. In short, the F828 has replaced my 35mm camera. The 28-200 (35mm equiv) optical zoom range is adequate for most of my needs. No lugging an SLR with a bag of lenses. I find that using this camera has re-energized my photography by making it fun, instant, flexible & very portable. I tend to leave my medium format system home a lot these days ~ just grabbing the camera, a tripod & a few filters.

Just for the record, I believe Michael replaced his F828 with the Konica-Minolta A2. I have looked at this camera after a co-worker purchased it & am still happy with my sony. I think it was the size & build quality. My camera doesn't seem gadgety or plasticy. It has a nice solid feel & the articulated body joint is still nice & tight.

if this is what you are looking for in a digicam, go to Best Buy or good Guys & play with one. Whatever you choose will have strong points & weak points. You need do decide which ones are  important to you & use that to guide your choice.

Tenner

Sony DSC-F828
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 09:33:46 am »

Now, a couple of month's later, my thanks again to all those who contributed to my request for comments. So far, I've been delighted with the F828 - a solid, well built and balanced camera that suits my large hands - and have been pleased with (many of) the results.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up