Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Untitled"  (Read 2870 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
"Untitled"
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Peter Stacey

Re: "Untitled"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:41:43 pm »

That one appeals to me strongly.

It has some optical illusion quality about it as a result of the curvature of the building, which fools my eye into thinking the rest of the image isn't straight, but it actually is; and I like how clean it is. That's exactly the type of image I like to take (and have several in a similar fashion to this).

I really like how only two blinds are partially raised. They invite me to try to look inside.

I like round windows too.They are so rare and seem so impractical, that they always attract me when I see them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:20:45 pm by Peter Stacey »
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »

Scanning some other reviews of this image, I am adding this crop as a possibility, though admittedly, I am not sure it doesn't remove too much of the ambiguity of the original which is very limitedly cropped.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:17 am »

I prefer the original. The cropped version oversimplifies it, IMHO.
Nice shot.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peter Stacey

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:31:48 am »

[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

Harald L

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:42:20 am »

Minimalism at its best: form, color, repitition and function. Great shot, I like both versions, the first for the wall and the second for the screen.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:41:48 am »

I think you have overdone the keystone correction, and created a picture that looks wider at the top even though it's not. This may be by intention, it does create a sort of looming sensation.

Since I despise this style of architecture, I can get behind a sort of "hideous looming" sensation, but that's probably just me.

I like the opened blinds, but I would prefer them either one floor up or down, I think.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:02 am »

I think you have overdone the keystone correction, and created a picture that looks wider at the top even though it's not. This may be by intention, it does create a sort of looming sensation.

Since I despise this style of architecture, I can get behind a sort of "hideous looming" sensation, but that's probably just me.

I like the opened blinds, but I would prefer them either one floor up or down, I think.

The front is curved, Andy. I did a small keystone correction and only on the right side of the "white" wall. to better align it with the right side balconies.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:03 am »

Very interesting. I like.

amolitor

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 10:40:15 am »

The optical illusion of "bigger at the top" remains, though, and I am pretty sure it's caused by the strictly parallel verticals.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just observing that it exists and impacts how I read the picture, quite a bit.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:15 am »

I would crop to five windows, cropping out the top. In any case, fabulous image!

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:19:08 am »

I like the image Chris and I will refrain from giving you any advice on cropping.  ;)
I, too, like the first one better. The double balcony at the top level adds value to the image and makes it more interesting.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:30 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 12:04:02 pm »

I have to agree with the original as the best. I was working on a series about balconies and this one fit into that genre though I was first drawn to the two open blinds which held my interest more than the balconies. Serendipitous moment of sight.

Thanks everyone for your comments...and Cem, I think I know you!  ;D

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:11 pm »

...and Cem, I think I know you!  ;D
Yes you do indeed!  :D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »

Cem, Welcome to LuLa. I just checked your web. I REALLY like your work! Bravo! Hope you'll be showing more of it here.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Cem

• Photographs
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 06:42:59 pm »

Cem, Welcome to LuLa. I just checked your web. I REALLY like your work! Bravo! Hope you'll be showing more of it here.
Thanks Russ, really appreciated. I have been a LuLa member for 8 years and visit the forums daily. I just didn't participate actively so far. I thought that it was about time to change that. :)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 07:27:23 pm »

I agree, Cem. Post away.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:39 pm »

I much prefer the original. I love the "7" that frames the right side and balances the open windows. All that visual interest is lost to me by the tighter crop without compensation.

DanLehman

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 12:17:40 pm »

I much prefer the original. I love the "7" that frames the right side and balances the open windows. All that visual interest is lost to me by the tighter crop without compensation.

Slobodan wrote "I would crop to five windows, cropping out the top." which I think at first I misread (and liked the idea) to mean to take as a crop only the very top's 2 rows of windows, which number 5 of the large/rectangular ones.  And such crop gives a landscape view of some interest with the sort of complementing imbalance referred to of "the '7'".  (Whereas, in re-thinking, he must mean to show only the 5 lower rows of windows, losing the top.)

Another crop would be to remove the top row + the right side of the presented crop and leave the dark windows (the round small and then moving rightwards into the darkened rectangles) to make a reflected such (mirror-image) '7' in complement to the rest (cleaver shape) --for which the interest of the right side would detract, hence removing it.  This cropping also de-centers the concrete's white block, giving tension between it and the left side.

As for the impression of wideness at the top, doesn't that come from our sense of looking UPwards (at ceilings and not floors, e.g.) and wanting the apparent convergence of lines that such a view naturally has?  Anyway, I feel the same thing.

--dl*
====
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:11:39 pm by DanLehman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up