Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opnions on the Canon 50mm 1.4 and Canon 10-22mm 3.5  (Read 4638 times)

scooby70

Re: Opnions on the Canon 50mm 1.4 and Canon 10-22mm 3.5
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »

Thank you all for the answers.

Regarding the Sigma 50mm 1.4:
I know must people say that this is better than canon 50mm in terms of sharpness, bokeh and build quality, but I've read lots of reviews saying that buying this lens is like gamble, you can get a perfect version, or a version that comes with back/front focus issues. I can't risk doing that because i won't be able to return the lens if it comes broken, since i'am outside USA. Do you guys really think it worth the risk of getting a broken version of this? I mean, it is that much better than canon 50mm?

I've had the following wide aperture Sigma lenses... 20mm f1.8, 30mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 150mm f2.8 and I've never had any focus issues with any of them on my 20D or 5D but perhaps it depends as much on the camera body? I read on one review site that they'd had fewer focus misses with their 20D than with any other camera and I believe that the 5D focus system is similar? Perhaps Sigma lenses do have issues on some bodies which for whatever reason are less Sigma friendly and I've just been lucky but perhaps with micro adjust it's less of an issue with newer cameras anyway?

If you want an AF 50mm for use on a Canon I suppose you have the following choices...

Canon 50mm f1.8 which by some accounts isn't a great lens and may just fall apart.
Canon 50mm f1.4 which some report as having focus issues, being soft wide open and prone to AF failure.
Canon 50mm f1.2...
Canon 50mm f2.5, not a true macro but a very nice lens. I had one and I liked it a lot but it's f2.5 not f1.4 and it's quite slow to focus. I've read that it's Canon's sharpest 50mm. My own tests showed that the Sigma at least matched it and possibly bettered it at every aperture the Canon could match.
Sigma 50mm f1.4 which I personally find to be a good lens whilst there are reports of some havong focus issues.

I suppose that if Canon redesigned their 50mm f1.4 and fixed the problems the decision may be clearer and many people are happier with OEM lenses but until they do that the best choice is possibly the Sigma if you get a copy which performs well on your camera with or without micro adjust.

Telecaster

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 06:02:23 pm »

I also owned both the 20D & original 5D and have to say that, apart from that damned 50mm and a misadjusted 24/1.4 (had it fixed) I never had any AF issues with Canon lenses. Had a great 100/2...consistently spot-on AF even wide open, lovely image quality. My favorite wide Canon zoom was the 17-40mm.

-Dave-

Zuazua

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »

Too many options. You have to buy one and stick with it. You list 3 lens with very different focal lengths. Figure out what you need then narrow it down from there.
Ive own a 20D, 1D Mark II, and 5D and now Medium Format Film camera Mamiya 645 AFD.
Ive owned several Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lens.
Here is a quick review
Copy and pasted from my POTN link
**** Had and Sold ****
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Great Lens. Sharp, has IS and USM. Only usable for APS-C cameras.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Cheap (not in a good way), images are soft. Only usable for APS-C cameras.
Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM Very nice, nice color, handholdable at higher ISO
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Average
Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 USM IS it was ok for an all around lens. IS is very usable. Find one that doesnt have zoom creep and your set.
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 Metal Mount Great images taken with this. Sharp. I had the first metal mount, not the version II plastic lens. Find the metal.
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sold due to medical expenses. I will by again. Sharp, colors are true, F1.8 is very creamy
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Awesome, I sold this to upgrade to Medium Format. If I where to go back I would get it again or the F2.8.
Sigma 24-60mm F/2.8 EX DG First wide angle from a 28mm Tamron below. Nice colors. Fast auto focus. Not a usable zoom
Sigma 28-70mm F/2.8-4 DG Decent lens. Colors are nice. The variable F-Stops where a pain for the indoor shooting I did at the time, so I sold it.
Tamron AF28-105mm F4-5.6 This was the second lens I owned after getting a DSLR. Fine zoom. Usable for walkaround.
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO Nice Macro. Way to slow AF. Very light. easy to walkaround. Save for a Canon 70-200mm
Tokina 19-35mm F3.5-4.5 Fun wide angle shots. Colors are nice. Fun to use. Zoom range is not usable
Tokina 12-24mm F4 II. Very Wide. To much distortion. Easily fixed in Photoshop. Only usable for APS-C camera.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up