Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What I like about this site!  (Read 4434 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
What I like about this site!
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

Actually I really like it a lot.  Why?

I often don't share the views expressed by Michael et al but I relish the fact that they are willing to debate without rancour.

The product reviews are always spot on (with a sad nod to past bias against Hasselblad now being supported by the dog's breakfast that the management are making of a fine company)

The forum.  It is full of useful and very well informed (if a little off the wall sometimes ) opinion.

Finally because there is a lot of good hard honest work being done by Michael, Chris and now Kevin and it is being done well by professionals.

If there was a Tripadvisor for photo blog sites they would get five stars.

Okay that's enough of the praise now what about that prejudice against Hasselblad?

What do you all think?  Notwithstanding the recent hard sell (probably necessary) on Antarctica they are doing a pretty good job aren't they?
David Watson ARPS

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: What I like about this site!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »

Thanks David, we re all working hard to make the site even better.  We have a lot of new things being planned.  I am confident that we will make Luminous-Landscape even a better place as the go to web site for serious photographers.  You'll be seeing and hearing more about where we are headed in the weeks and months ahead.  I won't comment on the Hasselblad bias, but I know Michael invited them to the table many times.  As far as Antarctica goes, we have to push hard as we have quite a few berths to fill.  We are planning a number of other fine workshops in addition to Antarctica over the next two years.  Stay tuned.   Again thank you for the nice comments.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:38 pm »

> What do you all think?

I like the forum because it allows me to learn from "the tech guys" and have first hand feed back and support.
Thanks to the staff for maintaining this #1 site on photography!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »

Michael, Kevin, et al,

Please don't make the site too much better, or I'll never have time to do my own photography!   ;)

I like it the way it is, and I'm not even deeply offended to get a marketing email once every five years or so.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:02 pm »

My bias against Hasselblad, such as it is and was, has never had anything to do with the product. I owned a 500c, a 500EL and an H1 and H2 over the years.

My problem was with the bad decision that their CEO made to close the system, and now the aftermath of that bone-headed decision.  Today's new management is racing toward a train wreck, and in my view dooming a once excellent company.

Michael

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:33 pm »

My bias against Hasselblad, such as it is and was, has never had anything to do with the product. I owned a 500c, a 500EL and an H1 and H2 over the years.

My problem was with the bad decision that their CEO made to close the system, and now the aftermath of that bone-headed decision.  Today's new management is racing toward a train wreck, and in my view dooming a once excellent company.

Michael
Yes.

If your mind is attuned t

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 01:43:12 am »

Michael

Sadly I totally agree!
David Watson ARPS

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:03:34 am »

Indeed it is good to recognize the excellent learning value of this site. I have been following this site since 2000 (I think...), so I can vouch for its continued high quality.
I have learned from it when I was shooting slide film (and scanning it), and I keep learning from it in the digital era. Besides, folks here normally know what they are talking about...
A big thumbs up!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »

Hi,

I would suggest that Hasselblad should sell the D4X to anyone wanting to buy.

Lunarcy and Stellar may earn the company some money, but they dilute the value of the trade mark. Lunacy to me!

Best regards
Erik

Sadly I totally agree!
Erik Kaffehr

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:27 pm »

Hi,

I would suggest that Hasselblad should sell the D4X to anyone wanting to buy.

Lunarcy and Stellar may earn the company some money, but they dilute the value of the trade mark. Lunacy to me!

Best regards
Erik

Erik

Hear hear!  This what happens when a bunch of vulture capitalists get their hands on an asset rich but badly run old established company.
David Watson ARPS

bernhardAS

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:19 am »

What do you all think? 

I think the site is a great source of information analysis and opinion. I like many of the guest authors, and I am thankful for some of the really technical and detailed articles. I was a  bit sad when the frequency of Michaels reviews dropped, and hoped all the best for his health. I am very relieved to see more of Micheal in the past month or so.
All of the authors here have clear points of view and they stick to their guns. I never blame anyone for that, I respect that.

To all contributors:

Thank you for many hours of informative and sometimes entertaining reading!
Bernhard

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51:03 pm »

I think the site is a great source of information analysis and opinion. I like many of the guest authors, and I am thankful for some of the really technical and detailed articles. I was a  bit sad when the frequency of Michaels reviews dropped, and hoped all the best for his health. I am very relieved to see more of Micheal in the past month or so.
All of the authors here have clear points of view and they stick to their guns. I never blame anyone for that, I respect that.

To all contributors:

Thank you for many hours of informative and sometimes entertaining reading!
Bernhard

Ditto that!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

dreed

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »

Too many people like to build closed systems because they believe that they can then monetize and build an entire ecosystem themselves. Or that closing it allows them to prevent others from taking away money from sales.

What they don't realise is that by building open systems that allow others to easily be a part of, the ecosystem is then enabled to grow beyond what one small company can do itself. This brings about diversity in the market which benefits the consumer. The more recent lenses from the likes of Tamron and Sigma are a great example of how the DSLR lens market is growing and building demand for more DSLRs without the DSLR vendors having to do anything themselves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up