Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The boat  (Read 3566 times)

batmura

The boat
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »

francois

Re: The boat
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:53:37 am »

You have developed a very nice and personal style with sunsets! The wide angle perspective combined with the placement of the boat gives a good leading line to the sun. Tones are very smooth, as usual with your images.
Bravo
Francois

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:26:10 am »

Very pleasing image to the eye. While initially is looks simple, exploring it reveals interesting detail, such as the streetlight on top of the hill.  I like it!
Mark

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:44:06 am »

Lovely.
Nit: too bad about the streetlight behind the boat.

slothead

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:40:49 am »

Very nice - and the street light could be easily made to disappear.  I've got a Greek boat I should upload, but the image is nowhere near as good as yours.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:10:21 am by slothead »
Tom
Nikon D800, D750, N1 J5, Sony A7R, a6000, a5100, Oly E-P2IR
and an assortment of lenses, adapters and tripods

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »

I like the tones and image generally...the lamp is great in that it keeps the whole thing from being a soft static wash...gives it a slight bit of frisson...
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »

My problem with this image is the tendency for my eye to go straight to the bright spot in the sky. I suggested elsewhere to brighten the prow slightly, toning down the sky slightly to allow the eye to ease into the shot rather be keelhauled. I like the image and think there is much that could be done to improve the eye flow.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:54:09 pm »

My problem with this image is the tendency for my eye to go straight to the bright spot in the sky. I suggested elsewhere to brighten the prow slightly, toning down the sky slightly to allow the eye to ease into the shot rather be keelhauled. I like the image and think there is much that could be done to improve the eye flow.

Not!

It's perfect as is  ;-)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:06:52 am »

Very good image.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:28:39 am »

Not!

It's perfect as is  ;-)

Your opinion; but take the image into Photoshop and do as I have suggested and then tell me I am wrong.
Is!
it is not perfect as is ;-(

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/335953-boat.html

Scroll down six responses. Lightening the prow and toning down the sky puts the emphasis on the "Boat" and not the sky. The title is not "Bright Sky with Dark Boat."

I like everything about the shot except for that overly bright, moth drawing light.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:33:40 am »

Very good like it.

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »

Very good like it.
Shaun

Yes, the same here.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 01:22:06 pm »

Obviously, I am overruled in my opinion, but I still think I'm right and everyone else is wrong... ;D

davidh202

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:10:33 pm »

Chris,
 Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion! I view on a well calibrated monitor in a darkened room.I do not see the sky area as overly bright.
What I am seeing on the prow of the boat though, are either reflective areas of orange or artifacts from processing, that look very  splotchy with the blues. I think any further lightening of that area would emphasize those too much.
JMHO  ;-)

David

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:00 am »

It was a tongue in cheek retort, David. I too am on a very well calibrated monitor and the bright part of the sky is almost half again as bright as any of its surroundings. Just to check, I compared my Spyder readings on my friend's iMac and what do you know, they were virtually the same. I 'm not trying to be pissy with you or the OP, merely trying to point out what I saw as a flaw. And you are right, we are all entitled to our own opinions. This was mine.

batmura

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:49:19 pm »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And Chris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I appreciate your constructive feedback. :)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And Chris, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I appreciate your constructive feedback. :)

Thanks, I appreciate that. You know from other posts and such, my intentions are always meant constructively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up