Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emotion/feeling...for who  (Read 3084 times)

wmchauncey

Emotion/feeling...for who
« on: August 08, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »

Emotion/feeling are but two terms that are bandied around to describe Art but, do those terms need to be universally felt as opposed to snapshots of a personal nature.
As some examples, I took theses images at a "graduation" party for my own special needs child.  The relationships between mother/sister and child are emotional...to those involved.

My question is, at the risk of a slippery slope, how universally felt do those emotions need to be?
The things you do for yourself die with

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: Emotion/feeling...for who
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

Art itself is surely the expression of emotion of some sort, how relevant that emotion is to the viewer can depend on many things including the relationship between the artist and the subject. If you, as the author of the images, find a stirring of the soul through the viewing of these images then they have succeeded in serving their purpose. If the emotions of others are stirred as well, such as the subjects themselves, then as art they have enjoyed even greater success and so on.

Personal art can be very intense and focused upon something that is close to the author yet sometimes that expression of emotion can break free from the bonds of needing to be physically familiar with the subject to hold meaning, I came across this recently and it hit me right in the tear ducts. Yes, I have briefly met the singer, but the video was put together by her daughter in celebration of somebody I never knew and the 'artist' is someone who I have never encountered.

Some of the photos may not be up to the supposed standards of LL, but the effect is still very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYnL4pV6AgY

Iluvmycam

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »

These are all personal snapshots. They lack mood.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:15:03 pm »

These are all personal snapshots. They lack mood.

I read that as meaning they are honest.  Not pretentious.  Not forced. And devoid of massive ego.

W
Pages: [1]   Go Up