Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad no longer servicing H3D (or earlier) digital backs  (Read 29695 times)

nad54

Hasselblad no longer servicing H3D (or earlier) digital backs
« on: August 07, 2013, 03:34:11 am »

Was told by Hasselblad last week that they are no longer servicing H3D (or earlier) digital backs. Just don't scratch that sensor cover whilst cleaning it, or get condensation behind it, or break the firewire port or...
I have bailed out on MFD, a very, very expensive exercise.

nad54

Re: Hasselblad no longer servicing H3D (or earlier) digital backs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:23:38 am »

Thanks for clarifying. I was told by the Pro Centre in London the IR replacement had been discontinued.

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17:22 am »

Just to be clear, H3D11 cameras/backs are still fully suported and can be serviced by Hasselblad. H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39 and other older cameras/backs can still have IR Filter and Linkboard replacements.

Full details http://hasselbladbron.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=59&Itemid=128

That statement may be true for the USA but it could be different for other countries. The fact that Hasselblad have closed some of their support centres does not mean that authorised servicing has ceased, it may be supported by independents.
Classic V has provided authorised service for the V system since closure of the UK service department in November 2012 in the UK and I have put in a request for my authorised status to extend to the H cameras. In other countries this has already happened, www.B23.dk in Denmark for example.

Check the status in your own country on the relevant Hasselblad website.
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

jerome_m

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »

For the record: I had an IR window exchanged by Hasselblad on and H3D-31 4 months ago. No problem. Hasselblad in Göteborg still services most of the H3D: the camera mechanics, basic features like the IR window and adjustment. The announcement concerns the electronics of some backs.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:59:23 pm »

Anyone could confirm if this is a Hasselblad official statement? Because i am in panic...i made a huge investement in the H3DII system

telyt

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:25:42 pm »

Anyone could confirm if this is a Hasselblad official statement? Because i am in panic...i made a huge investement in the H3DII system

Since you've already made the investment, I suggest using it until it's unservicable.  Panic isn't going to change your investment or the ability to get parts & service.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »

I can confirm the authenticity of the post.

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:40 pm »

I have it straight from the horse's mouth, AKA Hasselblad UK service, that the H3D11 is still supported and serviced by Hasselblad.

Thanks KLaban ! i have the H3DII 39MP and its great news that the complete system (body and digital back) are continued to be full  supported and serviced by Hasselblad.

But i am afraid that for the future anyone with a old H3D are hurt very much in the price if they decide to sell it...because the parts serviced are now very limited in the digital back

H2D-22, H2D-39, H3D-22, H3D-39
- Service is available for analogue repair of the H body.
- Service is limited to IR Filter and Linkboard replacements.
- HBI will provide limited technical support

Its sad to see a great H3D 39MP 15.000$ digital back to turn in to a brick or a paper weigh because of just a small tecnical malfunction like a broke lcd or a bad button contact...so sad.  

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:11:27 pm by pedro39photo »

Nick-T

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 07:47:08 pm »

"The discontinuation of Repair & Support Services due to the complexity and expense involved, as well as limited parts availability from our partners and suppliers, also goes along with the cessation of software and firmware development for these products.
Repair & Support for Ixpress backs, Flextight Precision and Flextight 343 scanners will continue via an authorised third-party repair centre: B23. B23 is a Danish repair centre founded by former Hasselblad Service Manager Jimmy Bjaaland. Contact details can be found within the Service & Support section of the Hasselblad website."
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:02:32 am »

Makes me glad I got my 132c done only last year, new filter and port! They even were even so kind to put a new casing on it as it had taken a few hits.

jerome_m

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:58 am »

The statement is on Hasselblad-Broncolor site:

http://hasselbladbron.com/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=entry&id=59&Itemid=179

It does not concern the H3DII.

Edit: changed "Hasselblad-Bronica" to "Hasselblad-Broncolor". I don't know why I wrote, "Bronica", except that it used to be a manufacturer of MF cameras...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:15:38 am by jerome_m »

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 02:37:09 am »

I’m just glad I never invested a cent in the Hasselblad system.
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

MrSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:32 am »

So a camera purchased in 2007 now now longer has full support?
That's a poor show from Hblad, maybe their policy is now chasing new markets as it costs to much to offer a service to existing customers.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 04:55:44 am »

it´s the same like Sinar - I wanted to buy a nearly new EMotion 75LV when I had to hear that by the end of this march 2013 Sinar stopped all service for these backs.
About the same Age, this one was bought new 2008 when I take the sellers saying about his purchase. So I dropped the deal.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

jerome_m

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:52 am »

So a camera purchased in 2007 now now longer has full support?
That's a poor show from Hblad, maybe their policy is now chasing new markets as it costs to much to offer a service to existing customers.

Do you know any company manufacturing cameras which include digital electronic parts and which warranties service for longer than 5 years? Serious question.

BobDavid

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:53:42 am »

I know some folks who bought CF39 MS backs. The word from Hasselblad was that they'd support those backs for ten years. Perhaps a class action suit will materialize. Just another sign that H's future is uncertain.

sbernthal

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:43 am »

Leaf are still supporting their backs from 2005.
To the best of my knowledge all Aptuses are still serviceable.

jerome_m

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 09:17:40 am »

I know some folks who bought CF39 MS backs. The word from Hasselblad was that they'd support those backs for ten years. Perhaps a class action suit will materialize. Just another sign that H's future is uncertain.

The wording from Hasselblad can be found here:
http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/after-sales-policies/spare-parts-for-discontinued-products.aspx

Spare parts for scanners, digital backs and integrated cameras can be supplied for at least 5 years after production stops. Hasselblad will to the best of its ability supply spare parts for such products up to 10 years after production stops.

It says "5 years warranty", not "10 years". Make sure you find the exact wording they used 5 years ago before you sue them.

jerome_m

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:14 am »

Leaf are still supporting their backs from 2005.
To the best of my knowledge all Aptuses are still serviceable.

The question was: Do you know any company manufacturing cameras which include digital electronic parts and which warranties service for longer than 5 years? You are not answering that question. Of course there are electronic cameras which are still serviceable after 5 years.

A positive answer would be from a company that would warranty now that their cameras will be serviced in 10 years (or would have written so in the past).

TMARK

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:39 am »

Warranty and support are two different issues.  Support implies that they cannot be repaired.

The message, as perceived, is that H3D and earlier models can't be fixed if they go bad.  That is not what they are saying, but that is the perception.  As stated earlier, they should have set up the third party service in all their markets and been very clear about what limited service Blad will provide. 

This is another fumble.  I bet they are all smiles at Phase/Leaf today.

The wording from Hasselblad can be found here:
http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/after-sales-policies/spare-parts-for-discontinued-products.aspx

Spare parts for scanners, digital backs and integrated cameras can be supplied for at least 5 years after production stops. Hasselblad will to the best of its ability supply spare parts for such products up to 10 years after production stops.

It says "5 years warranty", not "10 years". Make sure you find the exact wording they used 5 years ago before you sue them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up