Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which tripod will you recommend: induro vs manfrotto  (Read 10073 times)

hanbok

which tripod will you recommend: induro vs manfrotto
« on: August 06, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »

I'm going to hike in late August and desperately need a new tripod for travel.

I'm down to 3 models:

which of those carbon tripods will you recommend for stability and better against vibrations (wind etc):

Induro CT113 ( this is perfect for my hight- so faster setup) - 1.2 kg / 8kg max load

Induro CT213 ( a bit higher for me- slower setup) - 1.5 kg/ 12kg max load

Manfrotto 055 carbon Cxpro3 (same hight as CT213 / has flip lock which i prefer)- 1.7kg - heavier/ 8kg max load

Is there anything import I'm missing? Has anyone tried these tripods?
What do you all think?

NancyP

Re: which tripod will you recommend: induro vs manfrotto
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »

What camera and what focal length lenses are you using? Estimated weight? Have you chosen a head yet? Quick release system? Are you doing extremely long exposures?

hanbok

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:02 am »

Hi
i am using the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 head.
my camera + lens (all together) never go more then 4 - 5  kg

i do sometime long exposures...

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:15:25 am »

Manufactures load rates a complete nonsense.

Induro makes well-built stuff but now we have much more options - like Sirui (they make some interesting tripods which folding flat) from China.
Rotating locks are much more robust and faster to use than Flip-locks.
CT213 (and 055) is nice for small aps-c DLSR or EVIL cam with lens no longer than 100-135mm.

nma

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:04 am »

I'm going to hike in late August and desperately need a new tripod for travel.

I'm down to 3 models:

which of those carbon tripods will you recommend for stability and better against vibrations (wind etc):

Induro CT113 ( this is perfect for my hight- so faster setup) - 1.2 kg / 8kg max load

Induro CT213 ( a bit higher for me- slower setup) - 1.5 kg/ 12kg max load

Manfrotto 055 carbon Cxpro3 (same hight as CT213 / has flip lock which i prefer)- 1.7kg - heavier/ 8kg max load

Is there anything import I'm missing? Has anyone tried these tripods?

What do you all think?

The Induro CT113 has a couple of liabilities for hiking and travel: (1) Without raising the center column its max height is only 50 in. (2) Its folded length is about 20 in, making it difficult to pack in a standard suitcase. The Induro CT213 folds to about 25 in and weighs 3.3 lb, making packing it a real problem and the weight is on the high side for hiking with a CF tripod.

Why not consider the Feisol 3442, it solves all those problems. It should be noticably more stable it you use it without the center column. I am more than 6 ft tall it I use that way, with no problem.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:31:26 pm »

A second recommendation for Feisol brand. I have the biggest one, the 37mm leg diameter "Elite" CT3472, and it is a pleasure to use a 400mm lens on it. I really like this tripod. The "Tournament" CT3442 is the next size down in the line-up, with 28mm diameter legs, and I imagine  that its construction is just as nice as its big sibling. In fact, I have been thinking about getting a CT3442 and Arca-Swiss P0 if I start doing more demanding back-country hiking trips longer than 1 weekend.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:59:18 pm »

I can't help you on the Induro; I've heard they don't last under heavy use from a few guys I know in the rental and/or photo school cage biz, but that isn't the type of usage an individual consumer would normally put them through so that might not mean that much; rental and school gear is always abused, it seems.

I stopped screwing around years ago and lug a big/sturdy Gitzo 5 series around (up to 10mi RT hikes even) and couldn't be happier, but to each their own.

However, I *have* owned the Manfrotto 055 and frankly thought that thing was far too unstable for any sort of work in the wind, so I can't really say I recommend that one. I'd take a look at the Feisol and Benro stuff as well if the Gitzo or RRS is out of your price point.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:29:28 am »

I use an Induro CT213 and CT114 regularly in the deserts and mountains and both have proven to be exceptional tripods and a great value.  I'm a professional outdoor photographer in Moab and I use the tripods more than most likely would.  I'm also not all that easy on my gear.  I've not had a single problem with either model.  They're well-built, lightweight, easy to use, very sturdy and quite good looking (not that it matters but just sayin').  To the person who said the CT213 is only good for an APS DSLR w/ a small lens - hogwash.  I use both of my Induros with a Canon 5D MKII w/ battery grip and lenses ranging from a 15mm fisheye to a 70-300mm and neither tripod has any trouble supporting the weight.

You can't go wrong with an Induro tripod.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 09:42:04 am »

Very happy with my Induro CT213 and Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball combination. The B1 is the last model of the B1 before Arca updated the design to the Z1.  , but it is my smallest and lightest tripod. The others are a Gitzo 321 and Gitzo 410C, both are aluminum and   I've had both since the early 1980s. 

I have used the Induro CT for shooting multi-row panoramas with Nikon D3X and Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III cameras mounted in large Really Right Stuff panoramic rigs so the weight at  least met your 4-5Kg proposed load. I've also used it with a D3S and a 200-400 f/4G Nikkor.

When flying with the tripod I remove the head and put the tripod in my checked standard size suitcase, not one of those enormous jumbo size monstrosities.  The head goes into my personal carry-on or camera bag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up