Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tilt without shift lens tranformer  (Read 4904 times)

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
Tilt without shift lens tranformer
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:00:34 pm »

After briefly considering the tilt and shift capabilities of a full view camera setup, I decided to try out the Tilt Transformer for m4/3 from Lensbaby. It seems to provide a nice inexpensive solution for focal plane control. Using a wide MF Nikkor prime worked great on the OMD.

Just to see what would happen with a more extreme setup, I also tried it with a longer telephoto lens and saw softening and CA issues. Still interesting from a creative experimentation standpoint, but not as ideal.

Here's a link to a couple pictures and a short write-up.

http://gerafotografija.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/2723/

I'm curious whether anyone has suggestions for getting the most out of this tilt without shift adapter?

Btw, the LuLa webserver seems to have become less compatible with the iPad version of Safari recently. Most of the menu items are missing or don't work when posting. Probably due to an upgrade, I guess.

Telecaster

Re: Tilt without shift lens tranformer
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 04:35:26 pm »

Btw, the LuLa webserver seems to have become less compatible with the iPad version of Safari recently. Most of the menu items are missing or don't work when posting. Probably due to an upgrade, I guess.

Hmmm...haven't noticed any differences here. What's your iOS version? I'm running 6.1.3 & the latest version of Safari.

-Dave-

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »

Just out of curiosity, why would you put the Lensbaby on in combination with tele lens and the extender? 

When you say 'get the most out of the tilt without shift', what are you wanting to do?  Lensbaby optics are novelty items.  The intention in using them is to create odd results.  The tilt adapter will give you the 'miniature' effect that's popular.  I suppose you might he able to use it to apply some measure of Scheimpflug effect, but I don't known there's enough tilt in it to he really useful in that regard.

gerafotografija

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »

iOS version 6.1.3. not sure why, but I couldn't even get sub-links to the forums to open without some trouble. Will check again, maybe it was a bad connection. I'm on a normal computer now.

Regarding the Lensbaby, I am sort of trying to get the extra focal plane control a tilting lens can provide (Scheimpflug effect utilization). However, part of the reason is that I was toying with the idea of buying a large format field camera that happens to be priced reasonably, but have no idea if I would actually benefit from the extra control it provides compared to a standard camera body/lens combination.

Mostly out of curiosity really. So far, I can see having at least the tilt option being really useful for macro photography, not much for portraits, somewhat for landscape, and definitely for architecture (although would also need shift for perspective correction).

gerafotografija

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »

Just out of curiosity, why would you put the Lensbaby on in combination with tele lens and the extender? 

Purely experimental curiosity for that combination. I got an 800mm optical combination and wanted to see if I could get any kind of decent IQ with it. Not really, as it turns out.

On the other hand, a moderate wide prime worked well and it seems usable for decent quality focal plane control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up