Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to get a Semi Pro camera for Portraits  (Read 4137 times)

rollsman44

Looking to get a Semi Pro camera for Portraits
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »

I want to but a camera/lense that I can use for portraits and family shots. I am selling my Nikon D7000 and lense to buy a Less Expensive camera that will give me very good IQ . My budget is 500.00 USD I appreciate any suggestions. I no longer need the Nikon. I do very little work since I am retired. A camera/lense system that will give me very good IQ up to 16x20. Thank you
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:25:57 pm by rollsman44 »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Looking to get a Semi Pro camera for Portraits
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »

The Nikon D3200 is very good, and costs about $550 with a basic zoom right now.

The Panasonic G5 has been available with a mid-range and telephoto zoom for $450. I've made excellent 16x20 prints from this camera. It's very different in use from your old Nikon, but the size and weight advantage is significant.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

BJL

Looking to get a Semi Pro camera for Portraits: DOF control needs?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:18:29 pm »

What are your needs for shallow depth of field for those portraits? In other words, how low do you go in your minimum f-stop choices with your current Nikon DX format gear? The answer to that could help us in comparing lens choices for other more compact camera kits. (I am a big fan of assessing lens options, and the results that they can give, as a major part of choosing a camera system.)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 01:39:56 pm »

You don't specify whether that 500.00 is GB£, US$, Aus$, €, or whatever other currency might apply.

As for the specific lens, my AF 85mm f1.8 gives me some really nice results, as does my AIS 105mm f2.5

Second hand, I'd imagine they'd be within your budget, currency dependent, obviously

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »

Just re-read, & noticed this is for camera & lens, so you might want to disregard my last post

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »

I dont need the DOP to be out of focus. A lense with a min of f4.0 will work for me. I do very little work now but just want to have the camera in case I get a job( I am retired )  Thanksm

SZRitter

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:55:53 am »

Honestly, your best bet is to just keep the Nikon.

Fuji probably has the best IQ, and the X-M1 will be close to your price, but as of now, I'm not sure there is a really good portrait lens.

Micro 4/3 has the best lens lineup, and acceptable IQ. You could do an E-PM2 from Olympus for the price, but you would need to add the 45mm f1.8 or, at the very least, Sigma 60mm f2.8 to get good portraits.

If you can stand the controls and feel, Sony gives excellent bank for the buck. Not sure on lenses though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up