Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji raw processing issues  (Read 9975 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Re: Fuji raw processing issues
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 01:07:00 pm »

I was a Fuji X shooter for about 4 years. I owned a variety of Fuji X cameras as new ones were introduced. I struggled with LR processing.

After trying Capture One Pro, I switched over as I enjoyed immediate improvements in my results. Now that I have been shooting Leica for the past two years, I love the results.

Capture One Pro 20 has a free trial. So give it a try. I think that you will be very pleased.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 08:59:08 pm »

So far it hasn't been so widespread to make me go the extra step. I'm a little reluctant to do it because I'm quite comfortable with LR (much less with PS though) and learning another program.

Our new Capture One Basics class might be helpful to you.
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/capture-one-training-capture-one-basics/

There's also an older set of tutorials on this website (luminous landscape) based on, IIRC, Capture One 10.

There's also lots of free webinars on learn.captureone.com.

I'm biased as heck, but in 10 years of teaching C1 I find it pretty rare for someone to switch back to LR after learning C1. LR is faster and more intuitive to learn at first, but C1 is better in just about every other way.

kimballistic

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 10:08:19 pm »

So far it hasn't been so widespread to make me go the extra step. I'm a little reluctant to do it because I'm quite comfortable with LR (much less with PS though) and learning another program.

Long ago when I tried it, it did lead to slightly better results at pixel level, but not really that much different in print at normal viewing distances. With this current example it actually looked worse than my LR attempt, both colors and pixel level quality. I could try harder but I doubt it will get that much better. I'll give it more chances for the future with the trickier scenes and see where it leads. Also keep in mind that LR now has the Enhance Details which can give a slight boost in details.

If you have the time and interest, it would be fascinating to see if C1's versions of the film sims exhibit the same hue shift.  That will better tell you if the hue shift is by accident or by design.  You could always download the free Fuji version and try it out for us.  ;D ;D

SrMi

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:41 pm »

I own C1, LR and Iridient's X-Transformer. For Fuji X-T4 files I seem to get the best results via LR + X-Transformer, though I do not need to run X-transformer every time. The good thing is that I can decide to demosaic with X-transformer at a late stage, after modifications with LR are completed and which may expose problems with LR's demosaicing.

C1 is very cool software, I am enjoying learning to use it, though it is not my primary tool.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 02:11:28 pm »

The good thing is that I can decide to demosaic with X-transformer at a late stage, after modifications with LR are completed and which may expose problems with LR's demosaicing.

That's my approach, also: process the file with Lightroom until I'm satisfied with the global colors, tone curve, etc., then if (and only if) I see objectionable sharpening artifacts, demosaic with X-Transformer and redo the LR adjustments.  I hold off any local adjustments until I've made a decision whether to proceed with LR or try again with X-Transformer since they are more time-consuming to replicate.

However, I'm finding less and less need to invoke X-Transformer these days.  Unless the file needs aggressive sharpening―which is rare assuming I nailed the focus in-camera―X-Trans files processed with Lightroom are usually just fine.

SrMi

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 03:30:08 pm »

That's my approach, also: process the file with Lightroom until I'm satisfied with the global colors, tone curve, etc., then if (and only if) I see objectionable sharpening artifacts, demosaic with X-Transformer and redo the LR adjustments.  I hold off any local adjustments until I've made a decision whether to proceed with LR or try again with X-Transformer since they are more time-consuming to replicate.

However, I'm finding less and less need to invoke X-Transformer these days.  Unless the file needs aggressive sharpening―which is rare assuming I nailed the focus in-camera―X-Trans files processed with Lightroom are usually just fine.

I agree.
For those interested to try it, you need to generate the XMP sidecar in order to propagate current changes to the X-Transformer demosaiced DNG file. I generate XMP files only if I need to run X-Transformer (LR's Save Metadata to File).

rdonson

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 05:30:58 pm »

I own C1, LR and Iridient's X-Transformer. For Fuji X-T4 files I seem to get the best results via LR + X-Transformer, though I do not need to run X-transformer every time. The good thing is that I can decide to demosaic with X-transformer at a late stage, after modifications with LR are completed and which may expose problems with LR's demosaicing.

My approach with my X-T2 and X-T4 is similar.  I have been using X-Transformer for a few years and along with Lr get results that please me.  I typically use X-Transformer when I see the need for all the detail I can get. 

I also use Luminar 4.2 when I think the image may benefit from the features there. 
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 05:39:15 pm »

My approach with my X-T2 and X-T4 is similar.

I have an X-T2 and an X-T3 (same sensor and processor as the X-T4, different firmware).  My experience is that the files from the X-T2 pose more of a challenge to Lightroom than those from the X-T3.  Is that your impression, too?

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 10:55:26 pm »

I have an X-T2 and an X-T3 (same sensor and processor as the X-T4, different firmware).  My experience is that the files from the X-T2 pose more of a challenge to Lightroom than those from the X-T3.  Is that your impression, too?
My experience with raw image files from different camera models is no camera manufacture issues a new model camera that has no improvements. In any event Adobe will always test and develop specific profiles for the new model. It’s also not usual for Adobe to update new profiles for older models. Just my opinion.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

rdonson

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 09:12:01 pm »

Chris, I've not noticed the X-T2 offering any real challenges compared with the X-T4.  I do keep it up to date on all firmware for the camera and all my lenses.  I keep Lr and PS, etc. all up to date as well. 

The last couple of days I've been working with a Hoya R72 IR filter on the X-T4 and working on getting a good custom WB.
Regards,
Ron

Internaut

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 01:26:05 pm »

I recently bought my first X Trans based camera, the X100F, and after a couple of weeks I think I have a reasonably good process:

• Shooting for output: For documentary stuff, in camera conversion can be a life saver (the camera’s histogram isn’t easy to read, so I don’t always nail exposure, highlight tone and shadow tone).
    Raw: Capture One 20 (quite frankly, it demosaics far better than Fujifilm’s JPEG engine, producing sharper results with better micro contrast, and I don’t see a great deal of difference in colour).
    Velvia: For images taken in tough lighting, it seems C1’s processing sometimes falls apart a bit, so I use LR’s Enhance Details and take it from there (or just accept Velvia isn’t for everything).

The biggest advantage of my X100F? X Trans.  The biggest disadvantage? Erm, X Trans. 

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 02:43:17 am »

I have shot Fuji for a number of years, also Canon, and use LR, now current version of Classic.  I have no colour issues, and my prints from a profiled printer are fine.  Processing is always of RAW in LR, occasional WB, white, black, highlight and shadows, maybe a little saturation and contrast, but little else. Maybe a few images will have a little use of colour sliders. Dare I suggest that there are slight differences in not only our kit, but also our eyes and brain interpretation of colour?

Personally I do not use Irident as it gives a DNG, and then film simulations do not appear to be available.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 12:18:12 pm »

In Lr Classic you have a "Profile Browser" in the Develop Module that contains all the film simulations from Fuji.
Regards,
Ron

DP

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 02:22:34 pm »

Personally I do not use Irident as it gives a DNG, and then film simulations do not appear to be available.
of course they are available (just like when you use Adobe tools to convert RAF to DNG ) - just make sure no to screw camera make & model in Iridient X-Transformer settings

SrMi

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 12:42:28 am »

<snip>

<snip>

You can convert/demosaic with Iridient after you have applied all changes and film simulations in LrC. Just make sure you have saved the XMP side-car before invoking X-Transformer. The new DNG will contain all LrC changes that have been applied to the original raw file.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up